What am I missing? Workflow

Started by tomekk, October 03, 2014, 05:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomekk

Hi guys,
I'm new to this but trying to learn. I've searched through the forum but there is so many options I kind of got confused.
My workflow for now is:
1. record to MLV in camera
2. convert with raw2cdng
3. import into premiere and do colour correcting + editing there.

What am I missing? Is this a correct workflow ? From reading forums it seems people don't do colour correction in premiere. Why?
It's either in ACR or Resolve. I would like to keep it as simple as possible and premiere has got colour correction tools, though not as advanced.

dmilligan

I think a lot of people use ACR because they are familiar with it's controls and it is easy for them to get what they want out of it, without having to learn how to use proper video color correction tools (which have a much steeper learning curve), others use it b/c they claim the quality and highlight recovery is far superior to other methods.

While much of this is true, ACR also has a lot of drawbacks when it comes to video, two main ones are: it is slow (b/c it's CPU based and high quality) and can cause flickering. Also I think a lot people may not have bought into the Adobe cloud model, so they are more or less stuck with ACR (support for CDNG in Premiere has only been since CC).

IMHO, using ACR for video is like using a screwdriver when you really just need a hammer.

If you have CC, then I strongly recommend direct import of CDNG into Premiere. The correction tools in Premiere these days are very good, playback is real-time (if you have a good enough GPU), and if you need to do more advanced stuff you can always jump into Speed Grade, going back and forth is basically automatic as of CC 2014. Sg does have it's quirks, but the time you save being able to instantly jump back and forth between Sg and Pr, makes up for the deficiencies.

tomekk

Thx, great response, very helpful.