A ML 7d only for pictures ?

Started by ThLDQ, October 03, 2014, 10:47:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThLDQ

Hi,
until a complete and final version of ML 7d comes to birth, would it be possible to get a "light" ML 7d dedicated only for taking pictures , with no video features ?
Why ?
Because some (many ?) people are not interested in taking videos and also because the picture part of ML 7d seems to be complete and working (as far as I have understood).
Regards
Thierry

Walter Schulz

So why not installing a nightly build? Just don't use movie/video features.
That's what I do most of the time anyway.

nikfreak

I also thought about some "lite edition" for photographers last days. Kind of a fool-proof edition where lots of the goodies are enabled by default with just some config options like "enable / disable"
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

dmilligan

There really aren't a whole lot of features that apply only to video (many "video" features are also useful in photo LV and/or QR, like histogram, zebras, focus peaking, fps override, etc.), and the major ones like raw video are already in modules, so you don't have to load them if you don't need them. And even raw video has some usefulness for stills

ThLDQ

Ok.
But maybe some people would like to have only the pictures options with zebras or whatever, and not the video features appear when they call the ML menu.
Because it's a loss of time (jumping from one sub menu to the other, maybe I'm not clear ?) and space for them (on the card).
And for people discovering ML it would be a first step in the Ml world, until a final version of ML7d appears.
Regards
Thierry

Levas

Just live and try the nightly builds.
You'll be surprised how stable they are  :D

And ML remembers you're settings, so once you setup the stuff you like and disabled some you don't like, ML remembers for next camera startup.

Walter Schulz

Sorry, but the argument about time wasted jumping over tabs sounds not that convincing.
And space? Please get real and check the space wasted by ML features you don't use.

ML is widely known for it's video features and - I give you that - is not that well known to be a treat for still shooters. But - IMO - splitting ML into two versions for stills and video will cause more confusion and that's quite the opposite of your intentions.

Suggestion: Test customized menu option.

PS: I consider myself to be a stills shooter. Macro and architecture/landscape most of the time.

ThLDQ