Battery consumption of EOS M while shooting time lapse?

Started by ben, October 02, 2014, 06:13:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ben

Dear all,

Right now I uses my Canon 5D MkIII for time lapse photography, but after it has lots of shutter actions I think it might be too good for this job. Therefore I plan to buy a EOS M additionally for TL only, adapt my lenses and run ML.

I am happy with its quality even having only an APS-C sensor. Nevertheless I have some concerns about its battery consumption. I read that the little battery drains quite fast after 200 to 250 pics. So, does anyone of you has some experience with using the EOS M for time lapse photography? For sunrise and sunset I need to take about a thousand pictures in 90 minutes. My hope is to increase the amount of pictures by not using any AF functions and even switching off the display when the time lapse starts. By the way, is there such a feature - or plugin - in ML for the M like CHDK provides for Canon's IXUS and Powershot series?

Of course, other ideas for let's say external battery power supply are also welcome. But changing the battery and having a gap in the final video won't work.

Thanks so much,
Ben

dpjpandone

buy a dummy battery from the ack12 kit and power it with a 7.2-8.4v battery with higher capacity (or ac power) , sony npf batteries work well and the generic ones are cheap

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DR-E12-DRE12-DC-Coupler-for-Canon-ACK-E12-ACKE12-DSLR-SLR-Digital-Camera-/360919422168?pt=Batteries_Chargers&hash=item54087954d8