2-3k footage without crop

Started by RWBrooks, September 30, 2014, 05:02:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RWBrooks

Hi, I'm searching for an answer but can't find it: I want to film 2k footage on my 5D3 but without the camera zooming in. Is there any way to get this without changing the effective focal length of the lens? 2.4k footage using a wide lens and still getting a wide image?

Richard

dpjpandone

RWBrooks

That's a real shame, surely the path to UHD frame sizes can be activated so the original focal length of the lens is maintained? It's great for telephoto applications but for wide angle no use....
This would be the icing on the already very nice cake of ML

Richard

swinxx

NedB

@RWBrooks: See an explanation for this at http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13016.msg126082#msg126082, reply #3.

In no sense are the "UHD frame sizes" deactivated, so that a simple "activation" would change this. ML raw, at this point in time, relies on whatever the camera sends to LiveView. Only in so-called crop view are resolutions greater than the native resolution of the LiveView display possible. So it's either normal view, up to display resolution, or crop view, up to some limit which varies depending on the camera model.

Cheers!

P.S. @swinxx: say what? Or do you mean, "buy another camera"?!
550D - Kit Lens | EF 50mm f/1.8 | Zacuto Z-Finder Pro 2.5x | SanDisk ExtremePro 95mb/s | Tascam DR-100MkII

swinxx

hi,

no, just shoot anamorphic with a 1,5x lens, then in post you can desqueeze to bigger than 1920 (1,5x = 2880) :) with great detail.
why this works..? donĀ“t know, but when unsqueezing in only one direction - in this example width, you have no block like upscaling effect :)