HDR: option for choosing flicker or non-flicker

Started by KarateBrot, July 12, 2012, 08:07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KarateBrot

Since it is possible now to have a flicker free screen while recording I want to suggest this option for a later version of ML:

Right now while recording the screen is alternating between ISO A and ISO B in a few seconds period. It would be nice to choose whether you want to only see the dark frame, to only see the bright frame, or to see it flicker while recording.

The new entry consists of 3 or 4 options like this:

- - - - -

Show frame:
- A
- B
- Alternate slow
- Alternate fast

- - - - -

"A" only shows ISO A while recording
"B" only shows ISO B while recording
"Alternate slow" is alternating between ISO A and ISO B like in v2.3
"Alternate fast" is alternating like in earlier versions

What do you think about the idea of adding this new entry to the HDR submenu?
If you donate a RED EPIC to me you officially are very cool ;)

bart

I just hold the shutter button halfway and the current exposure holds.
Then you can check exposure of each frame.

KarateBrot

That doesn't work while recording on my 550D. And still if it was possible it could be pretty unhandy to hold down the shutter button halfway during long recordings. Plus there is the danger of accidentially taking a photo while recording.
If you donate a RED EPIC to me you officially are very cool ;)

lureb74

Quote from: KarateBrot on July 12, 2012, 08:07:50 PM

Since it is possible now to have a flicker free screen while recording I want to suggest this option for a later version of ML:

Right now while recording the screen is alternating between ISO A and ISO B in a few seconds period. It would be nice to choose whether you want to only see the dark frame, to only see the bright frame, or to see it flicker while recording.

The new entry consists of 3 or 4 options like this:

- - - - -

Show frame:
- A
- B
- Alternate slow
- Alternate fast

- - - - -

"A" only shows ISO A while recording
"B" only shows ISO B while recording
"Alternate slow" is alternating between ISO A and ISO B like in v2.3
"Alternate fast" is alternating like in earlier versions

What do you think about the idea of adding this new entry to the HDR submenu?

Hello :)

I reiterate KarateBrot's request: I'm doing many HDR video RAW tests on a 5D3 and I'm developing an HDR workflow on Davinci Resolve that I'll share soon!
I found the HDR video mode very confusing while framing due to the alternation of dark and light screen, and the suggestion from bart "just hold the shutter button halfway and the current exposure holds" does not work, or at least it doesn't on a 5D3 with latest crop_rec module.

There is a way to fix the screen to show only one of the two ISO?

a1ex

Confirmed (only works during standby, but not while recording). Very easy to fix, and very good choice for an easy coding task for beginner programmers.

FYI, models older than 550D are even worse - the LiveView image flickers while recording (because we do not have control over what image buffer is displayed in LiveView).