New Stable Release?

Started by kbeecher, September 24, 2014, 09:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kbeecher

Heya, I've been using Magic Lantern for some time now both on my 550D and 6D and was just wondering when there would be some sort of new/updated stable release made? Or if there will ever be....

I mean i'm fine with nightly builds, I just feel so much better when the words "stable release" comes with it. hah.

walter_schulz

Top of page -> User Guides -> FAQ -> Last one (troll section)

kbeecher

so the answer is never (edit: not in the foreseeable future) . awesome.

Why? is it money? time? knowledge?

walter_schulz

People not able to read and/or understand, mostly.

kbeecher

Im just trying to figure out where the opportunities lay to get things better moving apart from messing with code, or developing.

and for the record Walter, i know how to read and understand.

Audionut

Quote from: kbeecher on September 24, 2014, 10:08:53 PM
Im just trying to figure out where the opportunities lay to get things better moving apart from messing with code, or developing.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12657.0

dmilligan

I would be much more worried about ML development ever starting again, much less a stable release:

Quote from: a1ex on September 17, 2014, 08:03:41 AM
FYI, ML development is stopped because of this issue.

kbeecher

Well.... thats an eye opener. I really hope this thing stays alive for the future of things.

My thoughts if i were in this predicament would be.....

1. make things so if anyone steals the source code, you sue them. Or else it will keep happening.

2. Make ML where you have to donate $5 or more to download (or whatever cost really you need to keep things running)

3. link up with paypal instead of bitcoin so i can easily donate lots of money to keep it going.

Hindsight is 20/20 though

Audionut

1.  The code is released under a GPL license, which is apparently where the problem is, depending on who you talk too!

2.  Then it would no longer be a donation, and this enters into very grey area that ML would rather avoid.

3.  Not sure why ML now relies on bitcoin.  I should ask :-)

dmilligan

This has nothing to do with money. No amount of money or lawsuits will fix the issue, and nothing to do with money (or lack thereof) is currently stopping development. The developers aren't mad because somebody made money off of ML. They're mad simply because he did not contribute back, as the GPS stipulates he must.

kbeecher

Bottom of the line, I think anything that keeps ML alive is a step in the right direction, even if people like me have to pay money to use it.

I would love to give money to people who created an amazing tool that lets me do great things on my cameras.

Dmilligan, I get that, but a million dollars will make most people forget about a bruised butt, and look forward to developing an even greater product.

Audionut

Repeat with me. 

ML needs developers, not money!

jtvision

I kinda agree with what kbeecher is trying to say. If you look at money as the measure of time... More Devs spending night hours/spare time or few Devs working full time.
We, end users, just want this project alive. I bought my second cam 5D Mark III just because of ML. Would I buy it if it didn't support ML? No.

Levas

One thing money still can't solve is that a day has 24 hours  ;D

Maybe try setting up a website and lure new developers  :P
Don't know where to find people who like besides programming, photo and video stuff... :-\

EDIT: I know where to find them, they work at Canon!
So start raising money and make them work on ML in their spare time...

dmilligan

Paying developers goes against everything this project is about. It will (and should) never happen. If you want to help the project along, learn how to code, or at least test the software and provide useful feedback. No amount of money will help move the project along. That is just a fact.

kbeecher

Quote from: Greg on September 25, 2014, 01:41:14 PM
https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/PayPal-Forward/PayPal-and-Virtual-Currency/ba-p/828230  ;D
Welp, there we go! WOO! Event though it wont help now. lol.

Quote from: dmilligan on September 25, 2014, 04:55:08 PM
....No amount of money will help move the project along. That is just a fact.

So if 2 billion dollars dropped on ML's lap to go into a new direction of paying a team of developers (or hire more, or whatever really) full time to work on this project it would go nowhere??

Besides, from the poll above it just looks like we need more cowbell!  :o

kbeecher

Quote from: dmilligan on September 25, 2014, 04:55:08 PM
Paying developers goes against everything this project is about. It will (and should) never happen. If you want to help the project along, learn how to code, or at least test the software and provide useful feedback. No amount of money will help move the project along. That is just a fact.

Also, aint' nobody got time fo dat. At least not me...  :(

dmilligan

Yes, it would go nowhere. Why is this so hard for you to understand?

This has been discussed  at length many times before, there's no point in continuing to rehash this.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6367

kbeecher

Its hard for me to understand, because this is not a fact. Folks have things set up as to make it a impossibility though.

Are there software companies out there making money on a product? Yes. Could there be a 3rd party firmware company? Yes. Are you going to continue to tell me its impossible? Probably.

dmilligan

It's against the law. Setting up a company to hack another company's products would certainly incur the wrath of the first company and the first company would almost certainly destroy the other company in court. ML is legal only because it is non commercial, and for personal private use.

kbeecher

Game Genie, or Game Shark was a fun product i used growing up. Wonder how they did it...

dmilligan

Not without getting sued by Nintendo. This was also before DMCA. There is no question that commercializing ML would be illegal, piss off Canon, and piss off all ML developers.

Audionut

Magic Lantern is an open sourced development project.