My first DUAL-ISO RAW Video Test with EOS-M

Started by DeafEyeJedi, September 22, 2014, 08:00:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

@deafyeyejedi
Did you also try converting your mlv file with mlrawviewer to see if the original file is like you suggests "corrupted"?
Could you upload a copied corrupted file for download?

DeafEyeJedi

Thanks for the inputs @mjneubrander but I think I'll just stick with the MLVFS along with the 20-bit cr2hdr plug-in. Much quicker I think? Also I'm more of a Mac Guru but thanks though!

@Danne -- Thanks again for your responds. Yes I did try to export it through MLRawViewer (which did not produce the pinkish effect) and sure here are the links to each DNG (all the same file) from all four different exports...

MLVFS: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24998329/Dual%20ISO/MLVFS_DNG/M20-1628_000000.dng

MLRawViewer (w/ AmAze enabled): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24998329/Dual%20ISO/MLVRAWVIEWER_AMAZEon/M20-1628_000000.DNG

MLRawViwer (straight): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24998329/Dual%20ISO/MLVRAWVIEWER_DNG/M20-1628_000000.DNG

RAWMagic: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24998329/Dual%20ISO/RAWMAGIC_DNG/M20-1628_C0000_00000.dng

According to my eyes... It seems that MLRawViewer is producing really bad aliasing for some reason and not with either MLFVS nor RAWMagic. Thoughts? (Although I love the idea of being able to add LUT's along with 3D LUT's combined as well prior to exporting as DNG's from MLRawViewer -- I wouldn't want to export as a .MOV because of the 10-bit limitation unless the producers want the footage right off the bat!)
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Danne

Your "tint" setting is of the chart on the mlvfs file. Still looks fine after cr2hdr conversion though when I tried in terminal.
Don,t know were the problem lies though. Gonna try dmilligans latest version soon to see how it works on my computer.

dmilligan

Looks like an issue with the white balance calculation (AsShotNeutral is way off: 0.0005, 1, 0.0005). There's also some other strange data in there, I think the WB is wrong because the camera model is wrong (white balance matrices are taken from dcraw and found by camera model). @DeafEyeJedi, could you upload the first 20 MB or so of the original MLV file?

DeafEyeJedi

@Danne -- was the 'tint' being off the chart due to conversion being done with different programs or due to using a color profile in EOS-M (which was Technicolor CineStyle and I've never really had any issue with it) or could it be affected after adjusting the black/white levels in Terminal?

@dmilligan -- how could WB be wrong if we shoot it in RAW? Unless you're referring a different WB issue that I don't know about?

Sure I am currently uploading the original MLV file but not sure how to cut it into 20mb or so? Ive tried copying and paste and wait until it reaches 20-30mb and cancel it -- it won't save parts of it and the original size is about 930 mb which would be too big for you, correct?

any suggestions on how to gets part of the MLV file without compressing it? Otherwise I can just post a link from the original MLV file...

Perhaps you can cancel the download once you get to about 20-30mb (or would that not work?  ::))

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24998329/Dual%20ISO/M20-1628.MLV

ayshih

chmee's mlvdiag 1.0.0 lets you save a minimal version of the MLV ("all metadata, one videoframe and one audiochunk").  (I don't know if there's a direct link to version 1.0.1, which has another option for saving just the first 55 MB of MLV file, but it's included in the raw2cdng download.)
Canon EOS 50D | 17–40mm f/4L & 70–300mm f/4.5–5.6 DO IS | Lexar 1066x

DeafEyeJedi

Thanks for the inputs @ayshih and unfortunately there's no windows in here, I was hoping there would be a mac version of this because I did run into this link from @chmee awhile ago (great idea but I don't have windows nor Wine BUT I have VMware Fusion installed -- although it runs awfully slow on this old macbook pro of mine) so hopefully I'll take my time today to research online for a way to make this possible on a MAC...

Good thing I am off work today.

dmilligan

What I meant was that the WB metadata generated by mlvfs was wrong (this is why the tint is off the charts), because the camera model is invalid (to compute the WB metadata to put in the dng, we need to know the camera model). mlvfs should have caught the error and simply put a standard daylight WB in the metadata.

dmilligan

DeafEyeJedi

Gotcha now that makes sense. Let me know if there's anything that I can do to help contribute in efforts to make your software more effective?

Perhaps would you like for me to choose the WB settings manually in MLVFS if possible?

Thanks again!

dmilligan

Okay I fixed the issue with mlvfs, it now falls back to using the 5D3 matrix if the camera model name is invalid. The question is, why is the model name wrong in the MLV file? Looks to be a problem with ML. The model name recorded in the MLV file is: "ERR:1ERR:1 md:0x       0 ml:0". What build are you using? Are all your MLV files like this?

DeafEyeJedi

Not all MLV files show that error. It was an EOS-M with the 9/11 nightly build and now I've just updated to the latest firmware from last night.  Currently on the 9/27 build for both 5D3 & EOS-M. My only assumption for this issue to arise would be because the MLV files are directly from EOS-M that may not yet be integrated in with MLVFS if I'm not wrong but could that be causing the error?? I'll shoot some more quick DUAL ISO in my room at night just to see how much it can pick up without getting much noise for the heck of it! (it's 8:30pm in here my time)

but the funny thing is that the first time I used MLFVS with MLV files from EOS-M turned out just fine I thought? If you could tell from the 2nd video in this post from earlier. Maybe I ruined it from dragging out from my external drive into my macbook's SSD just to get quicker rendering??? Although I placed them back into the original location and all still seem work as normal.

Also I thought of another possibility to may have cause this issue would be because I used MLFVS with a folder that contained the DNG's which are saved in an external HD connected via firewire 800 to my macbook. Does the process from MLVFS require the folder/files to be performed directly on the system's drive as opposed to an external drive?

Maybe I'm just crazy...

DeafEyeJedi

So here I did the update to the latest MLVFS, adjust Black/White levels in Terminal and then re-export the DNG's. Then I tried to apply the cr2hdr 20-bit convert and again ran into this error where it says 'no image'... feels like a never ending climb on this one giant wall of ERRORS after one another.

@Danne -- do you think this could be related to the current settings in LR5 w the plugin that I am using for these particular DUAL-ISO files?

Here's what it looks like...

Ugh...

DeafEyeJedi

***UPDATE***

Actually I went into some troubleshooting and decided to take the DNG's (exported from MLVFS and not yet used black/white command in Terminal -- because I figured I could get this taken care of while converting through cr2hdr 20-bit plugin in LR5...

It's currently processing... apparently it cannot be done if the folder containing the DNG is in an external drive (must be on system's drive) is this normal???

Danne

There is some issues with the lightroom plugin at the moment. Follow the lightroom thread.
For now I suggest you use mlvfs and the drag to terminal method as in one of the videos. If you hit cmd+t you could even do multiple bash actions (repeat terminal command). Or simply export to dng with mlrawviewer and use terminal from there if the exif temp issue is too much hassle with mlvfs.
Apply exiftool same level after conversion.

Danne

DeafEyeJedi

I guess that makes sense and we are better off to do it in this way until these issues has been resolved regarding the plugin for LR5, correct?

Also not sure how I could add the cr2hdr 20-bit UEF file on my desktop per your suggestion in the video you just sent me?

Thanks again for the follow-up and can't wait to hunt down some serious 2.5k dual-iso with the 5D3 and give this EOS-M a break. (can't stand the hot/dead pixels EOS-M produces!)

Perhaps I'm in sort of a 'hybrid' mode between the 5D3 & EOS-M... Preserving the shutter counts along!