Troubling installing ML on 600d (firmware 1.1.1)

Started by arjun, September 17, 2014, 10:23:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arjun

I am trying install ML on my 600d. It currently has firmware 1.1.1, which ML doesn't support.
I've got the file for firmware 1.0.1 (which M supports), put it into an SD card (16GB  formatted in-camera) and popped the card into the camera. But when I ask the camera to upgrade firmware, it says 'file not found' and asks me to remove the battery and try again. So, how do I get the camera to downgrade from 1.1.1 to 1.0.1 or is there a ML build that I can directly use on 1.1.1?
Do let me know and thanks!
Arjun

PaulB

1.1.1 is the firmware required on the 60D. For the 600D you'll have better luck with 1.0.2, which I believe is also the latest for that camera.

http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/install

arjun

I've downloaded 1.0.2 on a SD card, put it in the 600D and pressed update firmware option, but the camera just doesnt seem to recognize the file. It just says that it cant find the file and then asks me to remove the battery and restart the camera!
Tried everything I could find in the forum, but its just not working.
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks
Arjun

Lachiepower0402

Are you sure your camera has 1.1.1, I have a canon 600D and i have only seen 1.0.2 and 1.0.1 firmware versions.

You might already have done this, but could you check the firmware version, by putting your camera in manual mode (M symbol on dial). Then press menu button, now go to the icon with a spanner and three squares, it will have a menu item named Firmware Ver. after this will be your version.

Once you have done this could you please post the version on the forum, so I can assist your further in installing the newest version (if you don't have it already)

arjun

Hi Lachiepower
Attaching a picture of the firmware version. The image is here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-lHqxvyEY5GMVdJLTJKNklHMmM/edit?usp=sharing
Still no luck with installing 1.0.2 on the 600D.
Thanks!
Arjun

Lachiepower0402

I looked on the canon website of previous firmware's and I still can't see that canon 600D has a 1.1.1 firmware, this might sound like a stupid question, but are you quite sure that your camera is 600D not 60D or 500D or something.

Anyway I will give you the instructions on how to upgrade your firmware, to make sure you did it right.

Go to this link: http://support-au.canon.com.au/contents/AU/EN/0400046402.html?r=s&q=

It says that it is for windows, but it doesn't matter if you are using mac, as I did it using this file on mac

Go down the bottom of the page under download and click the tick box

Now click the download button that appears

Once downloaded, insert the SD card that you are going to update the firmware on in your camera

Once again go into Manual mode on your camera

Go to the menu item with the spanner and one square

Select the item named format

Make sure that Low Level Format is selected, if not press the trash button

Move the yellow square to OK and press set

Wait for the camera to format

When finished, turn the camera off and take the card out

If on mac or windows, Unzip the file downloaded previously and copy the .FIR file to the root directory of the SD card

Eject the SD card from your computer insert the SD into your camera

Turn the camera on

Press many button

Go to the menu that shows the firmware version, click on the menu item

The menu should say at the top 'Firmware update'

If so, move the yellow square over to OK and wait for firmware to finish flashing

a1ex

arjun

Guys I've made a horrible mistake.
The camera, I have been trying to work with is a 700D and not a 600D.
I realized this today, after going through all the posts and now feel horrible for wasting your time (and being such an idiot).
I know that 700D is not yet supported and only has nightly builds. I am going to try those and report on progress.
THANK YOU for your help and SORRY for being such a git.
Arjun