Canon 60D Dual ISO Question

Started by CodeLyoko, September 16, 2014, 10:10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CodeLyoko

Hey guys, I am just a day away from buying the 60d.
My aim will be to use the 60d to shoot Dual ISO RAW Video at 24 Frames per Second. I will be coupling it with this MicroSD card: SanDisk 64GB Extreme U3/UHS-I SDXC with up to 60MB/s Read; 40MB/s Write (SDSDXN-064G-G46). I know that at 1080p 24p my resolution would be limited to 960x540 (continuous).

>Is there anything I should know before hand?

dmilligan

Don't buy a 60D for raw video. There are other (and some cheaper) options that will do you better for raw video (like 50D, 7D, even EOS M). The limited resolution has other implications you may not be aware of like: it's a crop, so you won't get the whole FOV, and LV will have black bars to cover the unused areas, so the actual recording area will be a small box in the middle of an already small screen. Plus, dual-ISO is going to reduce your effective resolution even further and introduce worse aliasing and moire (these are already pretty bad on 60D in video mode).

If you plan to use the camera for mostly photography and do some occasional light or fun raw video, then it's probably okay. But if you're main purpose is raw video, it is not a good choice.

CodeLyoko

Sorry for the late reply and Ohh man. :( I was really pumped to buy this camera. My primary purpose is both Raw Dual ISO shooting and Photography. I will initially shoot for a filming competition then use the camera for photography...  I must admit that I am a complete noob when it comes to DSLRs, and am upgrading from a point and shoot... I would be very grateful if you could answer the following questions:

>You say that Dual ISO reduces effective resolution? really? I thought it didnt affect anything? Wasnt that HDR video?

>And I am limited by budget and isnt the 50d severely outdated?

>What are your thoughts on the 70D?

>I thought crop mode etc only occurred in 720p mode?

ayshih

Quote from: CodeLyoko on September 19, 2014, 03:28:34 PM
>You say that Dual ISO reduces effective resolution? really? I thought it didnt affect anything? Wasnt that HDR video?
With dual ISO, pairs of lines at one ISO are interleaved with pairs at the second ISO.  So, for example, you'll lose resolution for sure in those parts of your frame where the high ISO is completely blown out.

>And I am limited by budget and isnt the 50d severely outdated?
The 50D continues to hold up well despite its age because it predates Canon pulling features from that line (e.g., AF microadjustments) and, quite important for video recording, it uses a CF card, so it can record much higher resolutions than the 60D.  One drawback compared to the 60D is that that the 50D cannot (currently) do dual ISO video.

>What are your thoughts on the 70D?
Keep in mind that ML does not yet support the 70D, although that may change in the not-too-distant future.
Canon EOS 50D | 17–40mm f/4L & 70–300mm f/4.5–5.6 DO IS | Lexar 1066x

CodeLyoko

Ah thank you. I read on the ML page that 70D porting has begun and is going full steam. Any idea when it will be done? And I assume it will have better results than 50d and all features of Magic Lamp?

dmilligan

I wouldn't exactly call no progress in 4 months "going full steam" there's no garuntee that it will ever be finished. It also doesn't have a CF card slot (only SD) so it's likely still going to be limited to around 720p continuous, to which the 50D is still superior with its CF card. Of course all of this is pointless conjecture until there is an actual working port for 70D. Until there is a working 70D port, the only safe assumption is that there will never be one.