Shooting 50fps for Dummies

Started by bluesteel105, September 14, 2014, 01:27:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluesteel105

This should be an easy thing to do but I just can't figure it out. I've seen people say they've made their RAW video at 50fps but my Canon menu only gives 30/24/60 fps options. Do I have to use the fps override in Magic Lantern to get 50fps? Thanks!

Satis

Why don't you try that before asking it?
The answer is: yes. Also, you got to be in 720p mode.
50D IR, 600D, 550D

dmilligan

50fps is available in Canon too if you switch to PAL. (See your camera's manual)

beauchampy

I get 50p in raw by..

Canon menu - PAL -1280 x 720 ALL-I 50fps
ML menu - turn on Raw / MLV, change aspect ratio to 2.35:1

Voila, around 30 secs of raw 50p on a fast CF card

Stretch footage to 818 pixels vertically in post (really easy to do in resolve).

spnsir

^ I get 2 minutes and 15 seconds to 30 seconds at 50p 2.35:1
5D3 on 1.1.3 FW (1.2.3 doesn't perform as well from my experience)

a1ex

Quote from: spnsir on September 21, 2014, 02:33:44 AM
1.2.3 doesn't perform as well from my experience

Can you provide a proof? I keep seeing this rumour, and it's the reason I still keep the 1.1.3 builds around, but there is no solid proof yet.

spnsir

^ Sorry Alex, just saw this now.
I'll make a post on my own tests in the future

spnsir

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tkwhcxypjqmfjru/Screenshot%202014-09-28%2023.41.08.png?dl=0

My findings proving 1.1.3 performs better than 1.2.3, at least for what I use it for. All settings were optimal settings with the same GD options turned on for both (cropmarks, raw zebras-off while recording). All shot on a Kb 1066x 64GB card.

a1ex

Only one test may not be relevant, since the standard deviation of recording times is usually quite high. Also, the card might be warmed up on one firmware, and not on the other.

I know it takes time, but a more relevant test would be to list a larger number of attempts (say around 10), then change the firmware version, do the same test 10 times, then go back to the first firmware version, do another 10 recordings, then go back to the second and do another 10 recordings.

spnsir

those tests are averages of three times recording and the results all line-up with my in field results. but yes I do agree a more thorough test should be done

beauchampy

cale.rodriguez is on 1.1.3 and claims to get around 15 seconds in this thread.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13643.0

I'm on 1.2.3 and can also only manage around 6 or 7 seconds on my Lexar 1000x (tried the usual tricks to free up resources).

Would be quite interested to know what the difference is and why this happens. If I can help with any testing I can spare some time.