Newbie question / decision help

Started by dragan-85, September 07, 2014, 09:14:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragan-85

Okay , so i need your advice guys.

Right now i'm using 550D , and i really need RAW video for my next projects, also , i will need slow motion in some scenes.

I found a used 5D mkII , shot under 30K ,  but, if i understand correctly , i can't shoot 50/60fps with it?
So i would need a 7D for that purpose, or some similar crop body?

5D mk III is not an option right now , as it is beyond budget.

So , would you go with 5dmkII+7D , or a new 6D , for the same price?

Levas

6d uses SD memory card (not compact flash). So write speed is not enough for full HD continuous raw recording
Writing speed with fastest card is about 40Mb/s, if you want continuous recording you're maximum resolution is 1280 x 720.

So if you really gonna use it for a raw video project, you're better off with a 7d or 5dII (or 50d perhaps ? (no internal sound recording)).

dragan-85

i gave up the mkII because it's not possible to shoot 50fps raw on it, and i will need slowmotion in about 25% of scenes.

so the choice is about 7d vs 6d , i know the 6d is FF and high iso is better , but it seems that 7D has more options for raw shooting.

the only question is , which one has less moire and aliasing?

Levas

according to your own needs: "i really need RAW video for my next projects"

You're best of with the 7d (purely because you say you want raw video), prices for the 7d will probably go down soon, rumors say canon is going to introduce the 7d mark II this month...

Aliasing is probably the same, 7d vs 6d, they both do line skipping video...(software: Raw Therapee is my weapon against aliasing  :D )

You could go for the 6d if you want full frame, but for continuous raw recording you're stuck with 1280x720 (which gives essentially the same crop on your full-frame 6d as an APS-C size sensor).
I use 1728x724 (aspect ratio of 2:39) raw recording for 6d a lot, but you have only 17 seconds of recording time for each clip...which is fine for most home videos, your vacation etc.

By the way, the high iso performance of the 6d is indeed very good. (But I don't know how it compares to a 7d, never used one...)

Midphase

7D ISO leaves a lot to be desired IMHO. Recording at ISO 800 results in some stuck pixels while anything higher is too noisy for my taste (and more stuck pixels).

There is a point where it might make more sense to look into a different camera system if raw video is one of your critical needs. The Blackmagic Pocket camera shoots excellent raw video, very comparable to what the 5D3 gets, for a fraction of the price. Adding a Speedbooster EF adapter brings the crop factor in line with an APS-C sensor.

While I still feel that the 5D3 ML raw offers a compelling set of features not found anywhere else (full frame, high ISO, reliable), the other Canon DSLR's require too many compromises IMHO compared to what is obtainable with a Blackmagic Pocket.

Just my $.02