Will ML save the 7DmkII?

Started by Midphase, September 11, 2014, 07:08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midphase

The specs have been confirmed, and aside from 60fps at 1080p, this seems like same-old same-old from Canon.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/09/canon-eos-7d-mark-ii-specifications-confirmed/

I hope that ML will unlock some unexpected features from this camera once the developers can get their hands on it.

Markus

Thats exactly what i was thinking =). No Cfast though only CF Udma7. Could have been interesting if they released a new dslr with Cfast and new processors. High-res raw or raw slow-mo could be interesting.

hudwa

I beg to differ. Uncompressed 24p HDMI out is nothing to sneeze at:

(From http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/eos_7dmkii_feature_hd)

QuoteThe EOS 7D Mark II can shoot Full HD and can send uncompressed NTSC, PAL and 24p footage out directly via its included HDMI port. HDMI output makes it possible to monitor images on a
large display or save image data to an external recorder. Thanks to an audio output function, video and sound can be recorded together to a single recorder.

This is a feature that no ML build has been able to implement on any body. Clean, uncompressed HDMI output is a huge boost for Canon photography-focused DSLRs. Granted, the HDMI output is limited to 24fps, but still, this opens up so many possibilities.

Although $1,800 is out of my budget, I could very much use this camera at work. We do indoor, poorly lit event photography and live stream said events on YouTube. A couple of these would give us a quantum leap in still photos, live video and recorded video.
My gear: 5Dc | 20D | EOS M | EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di VC USD | EF 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 40mm f/2.8 STM | EF-M 22mm f/2 STM

dubzeebass

Quote from: hudwa on September 15, 2014, 05:25:45 PM
This is a feature that no ML build has been able to implement on any body. Clean, uncompressed HDMI output...

http://www.usa.canon.com/nw3s/CanonUSA/DownloadContents/English/0400100302EN.htm

didn't even need ML ;)

hudwa

My gear: 5Dc | 20D | EOS M | EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di VC USD | EF 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 40mm f/2.8 STM | EF-M 22mm f/2 STM

ozcancelik

It has invervalometer... Huuuuge improvement!!! Amazing feature! No need ML :)

reddeercity

QuoteThis is a feature that no ML build has been able to implement on any body. Clean, uncompressed HDMI output
@hudwa the T2i, 60D, and 5d Mark II with ML  have been Clean HDMI uncompressed since (if I'm not mistaken) Early 2012.
They are just implementing what's all ready there.
But what I find really interesting it has USB 3.0 !
If ML raw could be ported , would it be possible to record to a external SSD ?

SenseiJ

What are the specs like on the 7d mark II.   Do you think it could have similar RAW capabilities as the 5d mark iii?  That would be so rad...but of course I don't really know much about the processors, and what not, so this might be overly hopeful.

hudwa

reddeercity, I use a 60D for work, and I've looked up and down these forums, the ML wiki and the ML site for confirmation of uncompressed, clean, HDMI output, and it just hasn't been done. The best ML gets is a clean but cropped image. The output is a true 1920 x 1080, but the actual image is only 1620 x 1080, flanked by black bars on either side of the screen. It basically looks like you are watching an old TV show shot in 3:2 on a widescreen display.

So my point is that real, true, clean (sans black bars), uncompressed HDMI has yet to be achieved by ML. In early 2012, this article (http://nofilmschool.com/2012/02/magic-lantern-unified-clean-uncompressed) came out, which might be what you're thinking of. Uncompressed, clean HDMI out is possible, it just hasn't been done yet. That is why I'm so excited that it's come to a sub-$2,000 camera that also happens to have a lot of other great features. Now if only they would send the audio through that same HDMI output...

Edgar Matos

Why isn't this camera hacked yet? I know, because excuses!

Anyway, No long ago I heard someone is working on a new HDMI cable able to transfer video as well as audio data.

Still, with the new comers GH4 and A7S (422 4K s-log 2 14 Dynamic range)... -_- the only interesting thing about the 7d MII is the USB 3.0 . I really want a Cfast card port but come on, is canon we are talking here. The Cfas are still f**ing too expensive for consumer applications. "bunch of pus***s" 

Cfast Port + 4K sensor = ++. 

beauchampy

Hudwa, can you elaborate? Are you saying the HDMI signal from the 5d mk3 on 1.2.3 isn't true 1920x1080?

HondaATC

Has anyone gotten brave enough to try ML on a 7d mkii yet, or where do we begin? :)

N/A

Quote from: Edgar Matos on September 17, 2014, 05:20:10 AM
Why isn't this camera hacked yet? I know, because excuses!
Ummmm, no? The developers need the actual camera to access the firmware and start testing, and seeing as how 1. The 7d mark ii JUST came out last month, 2. The dual digic setup it uses makes it very difficult to develop for (research the amount of time it took to get ML on the original) and 3. The devs do this in their free time, there's a possibility it may never get ML. But if you want to donate a couple of 7d ii's to the devs, hacking can start right away!
  ::)
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?