"Restore your camera to default settings" Risky to skip this step on 5D MKII?

Started by fredlord, July 11, 2012, 11:50:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fredlord

I have a LOT of custom settings in the menu on my 5D Mark II. What are the possible consequences of not restoring the default settings before installing ML 2.3?
I need the added capabilities of ML 2.3 but not at the cost of redoing all the settings.

Fred

Francis

To be honest, I've forgotten/foregone the step a few times now on my 550d.  I don't know the potential consequences but I believe that it is important and is given as a step, as is installing ML in M mode.

How long do you possibly think it would take to discover and reset each custom setting? If it took you more than a week or two to discover a particular setting, how important was it?  How much do you think ML could benefit you? Would you not install a new Canon supplied firmware because it would reset all of your custom settings?

Only you can answer these questions.

a1ex

If you have disabled the main shooting screen, ML will refuse to install, as it won't be able to turn the display on.

Other than that... count how many settings are in Canon menu, then count how many combinations of settings you have, and that's the theoretical number of potential consequences - if those settings are interferring with ML somehow.

Or: if it doesn't work, clear the settings and it will work.

fredlord

My principal concern would be the AFMA settings for my lenses. It's a process I'd not like to repeat. I do a fair amount of telephoto work so I'll have to consider the consequences I suppose.

Fred

Francis

Couldn't you just attach each lens and write down the adjustment value? It doesn't seem like you would have to retest and readjust each lens.

fredlord

Francis:

You make way too much sense. Could you drop everything and become my personal assistant? LOL! I appreciate your keen insight and I will be making progress despite myself. I've done the donation and will be attempting the process soon.

Fred