Direct DNG support in Premiere Pro CC

Started by nerdfilmsde, September 06, 2014, 02:22:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nerdfilmsde

Hi there,

I am literally frustrated!

The new Premiere Pro CC supports DNG sequences directly. I have filmed various stuff with the 5D raw module and now I want to safe some time by skipping several steps creating Proxys in After Effects or DaVinci.
I have tested the DNG support in Premiere but it only works for certain Clips. About 70%. And I have no idea why.
It is always a whole directory. For example. Day_of_shoting/card00X/and the clip-folders with the DNGs.
In some cases one card does not work. E.g. Day001/card001 works but Day001/card002 does not.
I did not keep the .RAW files. Directly used RAWmagic to create DNGs. And as I mentioned the majority works fine in premiere but some not. By the way after Effects and DaVinci support all files perfectly.

Anyone having a clue. I would be very thankful.

dmilligan

nerdfilmsde

What confuses me that it workes in most of the cases and I don't understand why. I never did anything in a different way. Same settings all the time and I end up with some clip working and others don't. :(

I used the RAWmagic Lite version, which worked fine for (at least I guess). I made DNG sequences and could use a task queue.
What can I understand by "some flavors of CDNG"?. How can they differ from each other? And what are CDNG or CinemaDNG? Isn't just a folder full of DNGs?

Cheers in advance.. :D

dmilligan

QuoteSame settings all the time and I end up with some clip working and others don't.
Well, since even RAWMagic lite is not free (free as in speech, not free as in beer), there's no way to know, since no one can inspect the source code, you are at the mercy of the program's author.

Quote from: nerdfilmsde on September 06, 2014, 07:08:13 PM
What can I understand by "some flavors of CDNG"?. How can they differ from each other?
The DNG and CDNG specs are very wide open. Adobe only guarantees support for the specific CDNGs coming from a particular camera. In other words, Adobe did not support the CDNG specification itself. They supported some subset of it that is being used by some particular cameras (whose manufacturer they have special ties with).

Quote from: nerdfilmsde on September 06, 2014, 07:08:13 PM
And what are CDNG or CinemaDNG? Isn't just a folder full of DNGs?
No. http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5618.0