Can someone reccommend a GPU for my PC (improve adobe CC/resolve performance)

Started by dpjpandone, September 07, 2014, 05:14:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dpjpandone

Hey guys,

I am doing all my post production on a ASUS motherboard based windows PC I built last year, and I'm looking to purchase a graphics card to replace the onboard graphics (which does not support resolve)

I use the adobe AE and Premiere and I would like to stat using resolve. So I think I want something that has CUDA, OPEN CL, and supports mercury playback engine etc...

I would like to keep the price around $200.00

can someone recommend a card that meets these criteria?

reddeercity

It Be best if you could install Dual GPU's specially for Resolve , as the free version let you use them both.
One as the GUI Monitor and the other for GPU acceleration , I have a pair of GTX 580 1.5 GB Vram each
In a AMD FX 8350 on a Asus Mother board. I have seen these cards on Ebay used for $150.0 each very good card.
Or the GTX 570 1.2 GB Vram are around $100.0 each used. (have two of those also and very good card)
But for New Cards I would assume you have PICe 2.0 and not PICe3.0 but there are backwards compatible to PICe2.0
I have the GTX 760 2GB Vram , http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130932
this is a very strong card lot of cuda cores. The price have come down on that one it's about $250.0 , was close to $380.0 a years ago.
For the dollar to performance level I think that would be a good choice for you.
Or For around $180.0 you can get a GTX660 2GB Vram not a bad card. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133470
but clearly not as good as the GTX 760. I like the GTX 760 for it's have faster ram etc... .

chmee

if you're patient, next weeks nvidia will start publishing the maxwell-chip based graphic cards. but it seems, the cheaper 860 and 870 will be launched not until Q1/2015.
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

dpjpandone

Hey thanks guys! Yes, I think my mobo has pcie2.0 slot. Looks like I'll start with a used GTX570 or 580 to get started and maybe upgrade to a Maxwell based card in the future.

swinxx

i have a 680 with 4gb and it works great. the more ram the better :)

dyfid

Quote from: reddeercity on September 07, 2014, 06:17:19 AM
It Be best if you could install Dual GPU's specially for Resolve , as the free version let you use them both.
One as the GUI Monitor and the other for GPU acceleration

Outdated idea to use one for GUI, with earlier versions of Resolve sure, but Resolve 10 & 11 allows using both for compute & GUI together.

QuoteI have a pair of GTX 580 1.5 GB Vram each
In a AMD FX 8350 on a Asus Mother board. I have seen these cards on Ebay used for $150.0 each very good card.
Or the GTX 570 1.2 GB Vram are around $100.0 each used. (have two of those also and very good card)
But for New Cards I would assume you have PICe 2.0 and not PICe3.0 but there are backwards compatible to PICe2.0
I have the GTX 760 2GB Vram , http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130932
this is a very strong card lot of cuda cores. The price have come down on that one it's about $250.0 , was close to $380.0 a years ago.
For the dollar to performance level I think that would be a good choice for you.
Or For around $180.0 you can get a GTX660 2GB Vram not a bad card. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133470
but clearly not as good as the GTX 760. I like the GTX 760 for it's have faster ram etc... .

GTX770's are great value, 4GB preferably particularly if you're going to be doing noise reduction in Resolve, more frames can be stored in ram when analysing motion of the noise over a group of frames at a time.

reddeercity

QuoteI would like to keep the price around $200.00
can someone recommend a card that meets these criteria?
That card is great, but its not in the criteria.

Satis

You could get a GTX 660 for that price, these ones are over the 5xx's in specs, equipped with a more modern architecture.
I've got an ASUS edition and it works great.
50D IR, 600D, 550D

reddeercity

GTX660 has slower memory interface 192-Bit GDDR5 where as the GTX580 memory interface 384Bit -GDDR5 &  GTX 570 memory interface 320Bit -GDDR5 .
Yes there's less Cuda core's but faster memory, that's why i suggested to buy 2 Cards.