General Question about Camera Shutter Lag (6D)

Started by RTLdan, September 03, 2014, 08:00:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RTLdan

Hello everyone!
I bought my 6D for my interest in making videos, but have since found a lot of enjoyment from the photo side of things.
There is one thing, however, that I'm wondering about -- the shutter lag.
When I take a photo, the 6D seems to take approx 1.5-2 seconds before I am able to take another picture.
I have disabled image review, so it just waits on a black screen before it can go again.
I could put the camera in continuous drive mode, but I'm not looking to take 4.5fps. More like one every second or so.
I would just like to know if I'm doing something wrong or if there is some way to increase the recovery speed of the shutter so that I can click off 2 or 3 shots in a row if something special is happening... ie, birthday gatherings with changing facial expressions, etc...

I am using old vintage primes that are fully manual.
Magic Lantern is installed (Aug 08. build).
60Mbs Sandisk Extreme card.
Raw + small jpg.

Thanks!
-Daniel

RTLdan

Well, after doing a little exploration, I have figured out part of the equation.
I can take pictures without lag if I do not use live view. Even with image review turned off, it seems to take the camera a bit of time to get back up and running in live view before it can take another photo.
This is disappointing for a manual lens shooter like me, because I rely on live view and and magic lantern to make sure my shots are in focus...I simply wanted to be able to snap off a couple pictures without the delay. It looks like I'm going to have to use the viewfinder and settle for less finely focused shots in these situations, unless there is some developments with taking (and being able to review) live view shots without shutter actuation. I remember reading that there was progress on that a while ago...
Thanks!
-Daniel

Levas

Sounds like you have some options on, that take time to process after the image is taken.

Are you shooting raw or raw+jpeg ? (Maybe try shooting raw format only, without the jpg ?)
Or turn off options like high iso noise reduction and long shutter time noise reduction ?

I've heard that in camera lens correction also slows down the system(so be sure it's turned off), but since you're shooting manual glass I can't imagine that this is the problem...

RTLdan

Thanks Levas!
Since I bought the camera for video and have manual glass, I've been keeping all of the extra stuff off. No CA correction, peripheral illumination correction, no HTP, no high ISO noise reduction, etc...

The camera responds exactly as I want it to when not using live view. It's only when shooting with live view that my shutter recovery time is slow (with the exception of continuous drive mode, which is not what I'm after).

The only thing I can think that I haven't tried is the Raw + jpeg.  I'll experiment with that and see what happens.

Thanks!
-Daniel

a1ex

5D3 has the same problem. I'm not sure if it's just some over-zealous GUI locking from Canon's side, or if there are indeed some processing steps that can't be interrupted (when returning to LiveView).

The full-res silent pic research should give some insights, but it's too early to tell.

BTW - if you used the zoom on half-shutter feature, did you ever get completely black pictures? I've got around 1 or 2 bad images out of about 5000 on 5D3, and I wrote a small workaround - the 6D might require it too. Understanding this issue might also give some clues here.