[550D] Intervalometer with mirror lockup

Started by -sandro-, September 01, 2014, 01:38:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

-sandro-

Is it possible to take pictures for a timelapse without having the mirror to move between every pictures aka take silent-ish pictures? I noticed mirror lock up has "self timer" as option, what does it mean? I wasn't able to lock the screen. Not even live view.

dmilligan

kitor

Maybe not to increase shutter count and remove vibrations?
Too many Canon cameras.
If you have a dead R, RP, 250D mainboard (e.g. after camera repair) and want to donate for experiments, I'll cover shipping costs.

Levas

You can use mirror lock up and intervalometer together.
But you need to set the interval time twice as fast as you normally (without mirror lock up) would do.
Because with mirror lock up it takes one photo per 2 intervals, cause one shot is used to move the mirror up and the next shot takes the actual photo.

Don't know if it's technically possible to move the shutter multiple times without moving the mirror.
I've read somewhere that in some canon DSLR's both are controlled with the same electro motor.
In case of one motor it needs to set the mirror back before it can actually rewind/use the shutter.

dmilligan

Quote from: kitor on September 01, 2014, 07:04:39 PM
Maybe not to increase shutter count and remove vibrations?
the shutter still actuates and shutter count increases even if the mirror is locked up

Quote from: kitor on September 01, 2014, 07:04:39 PM
remove vibrations?
is it really noticeable? perhaps you just need a better tripod