5D MKIII - Chroma Key/3D Music Video

Started by Eggeh, September 01, 2014, 11:10:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eggeh

Second music video I'm doing with ML and the first one to be fully shot on 5D MK III (firmware 1.1.3 on a quite old nightly build) with a 3D environment/tracking points. It was shot back in April in a warehouse in Göteborg for the band Deceptic. Each band member was shot vertically then stitched together for the full band angles and some shots actually used the blue sky and sun instead of a green screen for the chroma key. The ocean shots were done while on my way to Sweden from the ferry deck at 65FPS. The workflow consisted of converting the raw files to DNG sequences imported in Resolve then reexported in Prores 10-bit video files to be keyed and composited in After Effects. The color grading consisted of a mix of Fuji Luts with Magic Bullet Looks. No hiccups on set but I got a few black point shifting issues that were handled with an hexadecimal editor.

As usual it's a real pleasure to work with raw files, the performance was solid, reliable and the chroma keying was very easy to get right even with the uneven green screen.

The photographer/Mnemic singer Guillaume Bideau was on set and took a few on-set pictures you can find here.

Enjoy!
5D Mark III - Game Boy Camera - Samyang 24mm t1.5 - Samyang 14mm f/2.8 - Canon 50mm f/1.8

chmee

Hey :) videowork is great, looks really good. like the song as well, greetings to them :)
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

QuickHitRecord

This is a top-notch production. A lot of whipping hair, but it's a really clean key. I'm still trying to figure out how you pulled it off! I'd love to read a blog post about this production (if you do that sort of thing).
5DmIII | January 27 2017 Nightly Build (Firmware: 1.23) | KomputerBay 256GB CF Cards (1066x & 1200x)

Eggeh

Thanks a lot guys! The album is definitely worth listening to if you're into melodeath or tech metal.
I've got no blog but for the keying two things helped me out making everything go smooth : denoise the files (even if it was shot at 400 ISO) and crank up the saturation to ridiculous levels before starting the chroma key, this way I managed to avoid most artifacts and retain a good amount of transparency. I used Keylight for the greenscreen shots and Primatte Keyer for the blue sky keying as Keylight behaved weirdly there.
5D Mark III - Game Boy Camera - Samyang 24mm t1.5 - Samyang 14mm f/2.8 - Canon 50mm f/1.8

Kabz

Clean keys. Some of the effects in the foreground seemed too pasted on, maybe could have benefited from a little blur, but that's really just nitpicking.
Thanks for sharing. Also introduced me to a new band -- I'm a fan of the Swedish melo-death stuff.

Taranis

Very good production, and thanks for introducing the band, pretty sick vocals there.

Slikkit

Kick ass, What this all shot with Magic Lantern?

Petter Sand

Hi! Really good video! How do you accomplish 65 frames/ sec in ML?

Eggeh

Cheers guys, I see what you mean Kabz, a few a particule systems seem to have had shutter speed/motion blur mismatches, I'll try to be more careful with this next time! Slikkit, all green screen shots were done with ML in raw yes.

Petter Sand, it was 64.325 actually sorry! I set up the camera to 720p 60FPS in the Canon menu then did a framerate override set to 65FPS (64.325 actual FPS) in 2.35:1 ratio. You can't shoot continuously this way, I only managed to get around bursts of 200 frames on a Komputerbay 1000x 64gb but that was more than enough for the slow motion inserts I planned on using.

Taranis

Did you do all the special effects in After Effects?

Eggeh

Mostly yes with a few 3D models done in C4D then imported.