"Card1 cannot be accessed" error on 5D Mark III

Started by jasonbach, September 01, 2014, 03:34:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jasonbach

I purchased a KomputerBay 64GB 1066x UDMA7 card and it was working fine for recording ML RAW until I tried to format to exFat via an older Firewire Lexar CF reader. Inserted into my camera and received the "Card1 cannot be accessed" error. I tried my other CF cards and same error. Stomach lurching at this point. After researching I looked at the pins in the CF slot - they all seem very straight and not bent. I did a reboot, taking both batteries out of camera. turned back on, set the date, same error. Tried reloading 1.1.3 firmware, no luck.

I've read that using a USB reader, or any non UDMA7 CF reader, will corrupt your card, but didn't realize that it could damage my camera. any ideas on how to fix?

nigel

Hmmm going on what you're saying. If you have done a reset to the 1.1.3 firmware and it still can't read any CF cards then it could very well be a hardware issue.

Quick question though. Are the cf cards all readable by other canon cameras/computers?

Is it possible to use a canon camera to format a cf card and try using that formatted card to see if it reads?

When testing your cards is the ML software on them or on the SD card.

Some of these questions might be unrelated but I just felt its good to know if other systems are causing any interference.

Walter Schulz

QuoteIf you have done a reset to the 1.1.3 firmware and it still can't read any CF cards then it could very well be a hardware issue.
Most times firmware update/downgrade will do no good because settings won't be resetted. Same for battery removal. Test for yourself.

nigel

Huh. I was under the impression that firmware changes are like resetting buttons. Where they change back to the default values. Guess I was wrong.

stevethornton

I have this same problem on both of my 5D MKIII cameras. The work-a-round is to turn off the camera, remove the CF card, remove the battery, reinsert the battery, turn on the camera and wait for the camera to say "No card in camera". Then insert the CF card. This usually works. But on of my cameras finally quit and Canon said the CF card PCB(Printed Circuit Board) needed replacing.

Now my second camera is giving me the same message.