Reduced function set ML

Started by wmsgva, August 31, 2014, 08:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wmsgva

Magic Lantern is a great product and Canon should be ashamed of the many features it hasn't provided in some of its high-end cameras.

Has anyone produced a smaller function set version of ML?

Why this question? I would love to install ML on my 5Dm3, but I can't afford to risk breaking it (although I know the risk is small) or having it locking-up during a shoot (this apparently
happens time to time). Furthermore, I don't need many of the features provided by ML, only those which Canon should have provided has "standard" in this camera, namely:

- Zebras
- Focus peaking
- (Follow focus as a nice to have)

Is it possible for one of the developers to produce a release of ML with just these functions? As this wouldn't be pushing the camera to its limits, it would probably
avoid crash/bricking issues. I'm pretty sure quite a few people who aren't currently involved in wanting to shoot RAW would be pleased to have a stable version of ML with
these highly useful features and even be ready to pay a small fee to purchase this version.

Walter Schulz

QuoteAs this wouldn't be pushing the camera to its limits, it would probably avoid crash/bricking issues.

The crash/bricking issues (you may link those issues, please) are because the camera is pushed to it's limits? Says who?

Stedda

Just don't use what you don't want or don't understand esp now since it's Module based...or, since it's open source modify it as you see fit. I think a lot of people forget this important fact.

You want it customized to your personal tastes then carry on with doing so. Actually, what your looking for is already somewhat there as an option but it requires that you do it. (Disable Menu Entries)
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

dmilligan

What bricking issues? There have been a lot of folks blame ML b/c they happened to have it installed at the time, but the real issue turns out to be hardware related or something else.

Additionally, simply don't use the other features you don't want. It's impossible for feature to crash the camera if you don't actually use it (for example some bug in raw video is only going to crash the camera if you're actually trying to record raw video).

brapodam

It's not practical for them to do this IMO. ML has so many functions that appeal to different sorts of photographers and videographers. If they release a minimal version of ML with those 3 functions, some other photographer is going to want a minimal ML with another different set of functions. Best way to do this is to disable modules that you don't want

Audionut

Learn how to compile (information in general development section), and then comment out items in all_features.

Slikkit

I'm sure there is a feature to hide unwanted menu items.  As stedda also mentioned only the modules you select or turn on will load.

On a side note I've been using ML on my 5D3 and it has been rock solid stable.

wmsgva

Thanks for all the responses. I knew you could turn off menu items in ML, but wasn't sure if unused functionality was loaded or not.

I could go to the trouble of installing the compiler and commenting out all code I don't need, but don't really have time for this.

Will install ML on my 5Dmiii and just disable unused menus.