MLVFS - a FUSE based, "on the fly" MLV to CDNG converter

Started by dmilligan, August 31, 2014, 02:01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

henricusmaria

I just started using MLVFS. How can I remove the pink focus dots? I work on a mac.

dfort

Quote from: henricusmaria on January 04, 2019, 09:11:51 AM
How can I remove the pink focus dots? I work on a mac.

You shouldn't have to do anything, it is automatic in MLVFS. There are some new resolutions in the experimental branches and there are a few new focus pixel map files that haven't been merged in yet. You can download the latest map files from here:

https://bitbucket.org/daniel_fort/ml-focus-pixels/src/default/focus_pixel_map_files/

Yeah, a little geeky but you need to know your camera ID and put them in the MLVFS application. You can also make your own map files if you are working on bleeding edge builds.

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: Markus on April 18, 2018, 12:28:14 PM
...I guess It's a metadata corruption where the file thinks it only have 50K frames in it even though there is much more data there. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of problem? Is it possible to get the missing files out of the mlv or is this a lost cause?

Got the same amount of frames both from MLVFS and mlv dump/mlv batch, both missing 30K frames...

Unfortunately I had this similar phenomenal happened (though it had nothing to do w MLVFS) during a full day shooting at a wedding last year where I shot 12-bit lossless during the entire event. I decided to give up on trying to back track it and managed to make it work with the rest of footage that came out well except for one humongous MLV file!  :P

The only thing I could think of was by using the external monitor while plugged in via HDMI (5D3 running 123) may have been the culprit in here and was this a similar set-up you had on your end?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

henricusmaria

Quote from: dfort on January 04, 2019, 11:53:21 PM
You shouldn't have to do anything, it is automatic in MLVFS. There are some new resolutions in the experimental branches and there are a few new focus pixel map files that haven't been merged in yet. You can download the latest map files from here:

https://bitbucket.org/daniel_fort/ml-focus-pixels/src/default/focus_pixel_map_files/

Yeah, a little geeky but you need to know your camera ID and put them in the MLVFS application. You can also make your own map files if you are working on bleeding edge builds.

Thanks, I will look into it. Meanwhile I've exported some mlv clips through MLVapp as prores and encountered another problem.
I see a lot of color artifacts in the footage, especially in the horizontal lines. I've added an example. What can be done about this? I shoot with the following settings: 3x3_mv1080_EOSM, 1080p24, 1736x1120 1:2 14bit lossless with the sd card hack.

Danne

Can you upload a sample of the mlv file you can cut it in Mlv App.

Danne

Aliasing. To be expected under certain circumstances.

henricusmaria

Yes, but it's happening way too much.. Can I change something to the ML settings to prevent or lessen this?

dfort

Quote from: henricusmaria on January 08, 2019, 12:46:04 AM
Can I change something to the ML settings to prevent or lessen this?

First of all this was shot in 5x3 sampling, that will give the most amount of aliasing.

sampling        5x3 (read 1 line, skip 4, bin 3 columns)

Try shooting in 3x3 or even better in a 1x1 sampling setting. I see you're using the EOSM so try Danne's latest experimental builds to get those resolutions.

Another thing you can do is turn on some chroma smoothing and see if that helps.

henricusmaria

Thanks! I was under the impression that when I chose the 3x3_mv1080_EOSM mode I was shooting in 3x3 sampling.
I have tried the new experimental builds before. The mv1080p options still gave me aliasing problems. 1:1 sampling is fine. But I wanted to shoot without the crop factor. This is why I tried an older build that is recommended by this guy on youtube (Zeek). He doesn't have aliasing issues. I guess it also depends on the lens you use. With the Canon 18-55 lens the aliasing artifacts are more prominent at the wide angle.

dfort

Quote from: henricusmaria on January 08, 2019, 02:50:58 AM
I guess it also depends on the lens you use. With the Canon 18-55 lens the aliasing artifacts are more prominent at the wide angle.

Really? That doesn't sound right. Aliasing is more apparent in high contrast boundary areas of diagonal lines, like your roof lines or power lines. So maybe a soft focus, low contrast lens will show less artifacts.

I looked up Zeek on YouTube and he is using an old C-mount "TV" lens on his camera. Probably not very sharp. He's also using a cheap ebay speed booster, again this is probably taking a hit in sharpness and contrast.

Quote from: henricusmaria on January 08, 2019, 02:50:58 AM
...The mv1080p options still gave me aliasing problems....I tried an older build...

Try Danne's latest builds, you should be getting true 3x3 sampling.

henricusmaria

What doesn't sound right? Maybe the 18-55 lens has less contrast in the tele region, therefore less artifacts. Zeek also uses m42 and ef lenses with apparently no aliasing. But the speed booster could have something to do with it, and of course the fact that he is shooting at longer focal lengths with wide apertures.
I am back on Danne's latest build now. 1:1 looks great, (mv1080p) still has aliasing. I will do some tests with the 2.5 k setting.
Thanks again!

dfort

Took a closer look at your sample, maybe it is 3x3 and reported wrong? Seems like every app I used stretched or squashed it to a different aspect ratio.

In any case, it does look pretty good. If you post it on YouTube it will probably blur out some of that aliasing.

henricusmaria

Yeah.. i did some tests today with the 2.5k setting in 1920x1080 10bit, so it was possible to shoot long takes. It looks beautiful!
For some reason though after 2 successful exports, the rest of the exported prores clips still have the focus points. These were done under the same settings in mlvapp. Any idea how this can happen?

Danne

Best is if you upload the problematic file. Shortened.

By the way. YOu can do higher resolutions if running 2.35:1. Here´s a nice setting I use:

henricusmaria

Thanks Danne, will try it out tomorrow!

Now all the exported files have the focus points in them. Here is a short mlv file:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EeeE05vqRVAGBZK1zh28XbLVFNe_YKbx/view?usp=drivesdk

Danne

Seems to be working here. Did you accidentally turn fix focus dots off?
Off

On

dfort´s maps doing the trick.
You could also add chroma smooth 3x3 which is very effective in eliminating dots.

Example using only cs3x3:

henricusmaria

Fix focus dots is on. Switching from on to off does not make a difference anymore. With the first 2 exports it worked like a charm. Strange..
Luckily the chroma smooth 3x3 works effective indeed! I thought it would degrade the quality, but it seems to be the same. Will use this then for now. Maybe my computer needs a rest ;) Hopefully tomorrow it is working like normal again. Thanks for the help Danne, much appreciated!

planetary

I've been trying to get this working the past 14 hours. My mlvfs stopped working last week due to my computer rolling back somehow after a consistent 3-4 years without a problem. I wasn't sure exactly what changed so I reinstalled mlvfs and dokan. I was using 0.8 dokan before.

The problem I have now is any time I preview mlv dng's, it shows pink static (on the WHOLE screen, completely unusable).
When I run mlvfs, the virtual mount is there however the file just shows pink static in resolve.
They appear fine in MLV APP viewer and I've worked with these same mlv's before so I know it's not the files.
I've tried to install and reinstall dokan and mlvfs_x86 but nothing's really helping.

I've tried localhost and its the same thing there. Am I missing a codec? what am I forgetting here?
If I remember correctly, doesn't mlvfs automatically convert mlv's from the virtual drive?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. T_T

Walter Schulz

If you say your PC rolled back and you don't know what things were touched: Why not re-installing Resolve as well?

planetary

@walter shulz I've reinstalled windows 7 and davinci. The problem is still the same.
I'm guessing it's the dokan version. I'm currently using .8.

I'm having errors where it says it can't find dokanfuse.dll with other versions.

Anyone know if I need any specific drivers or such for davinci resolve that may have gotten rolled back?
Anything like that? OR any codes for dng's or anything? I'm at a complete loss.
I'm not sure what to do and I have a huge headache. :(

planetary

Also MLV APP can open these files but not MLVFS or dokan?? What am I missing here???
Besides dokan and mlvfs_x86, what other scripts or codecs do you need to view?
The preview from these dngs from the virtual drive are all pink as well so I'm guessing
something is not being applied or rendered during. Any idea what this could be?

Walter Schulz

Don't have MLVFS running right now. Have to build a W7 environment (no lack of machines, though). Will take some time.
Anyone with ideas/knowledge able to jump in?

ArcziPL

Can you try with non-compressed MLV? You might have an old MLVFS version, without support for lossless compression. You also don't need to install Dokan or anything else. Just get the right binary of MLVFS with correct DLLs provided.
M50.110 [main cam] | G7X III [pocket cam] | 70D.112 [gathers dust] | M.202 [gathers dust] | waiting for M5II