MLVFS - a FUSE based, "on the fly" MLV to CDNG converter

Started by dmilligan, August 31, 2014, 02:01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonij

Can somebody please explain to me how to use 'Fix Pattern Noise' with MLVFS?
When I turn it 'ON' and refresh the web page, it doesn't seem to make any visual changes to my DNG files. I tried in both Windows 7 and Mac without success.

Using MLV Dump I can successfully remove fixed pattern noise using a dark frame.
Example images:

dmilligan

Could be some caching issue. Might want to make sure you turn the option on very first thing before doing anything else, or even start MLVFS with it on via the command line (MLVFS does some internal caching, but the FUSE library or the OS might also be doing some caching that MLVFS can't do anything about).

DeafEyeJedi

Have you tried updating the FUSE library in OS X yet @tonij?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

tonij

@DeafEyeJedi Can you tell me how I go about updating the FUSE Library? I'm not great with Macs

@dmilligan When I include "--fix-pattern-noise" in Windows Command Prompt it's applied successfully.

Is anyone successfully making these changes through http://localhost:8000/ on Windows or Mac?

Also how is MLVFS able to remove fixed pattern noise when I'm not giving it a suitable darkframe? Should I be providing darkframes if so how?

dmilligan

Quote from: tonij on August 03, 2017, 07:42:57 AM
Also how is MLVFS able to remove fixed pattern noise when I'm not giving it a suitable darkframe? Should I be providing darkframes if so how?
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11787.msg158766#msg158766

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: tonij on August 03, 2017, 07:42:57 AM
@DeafEyeJedi Can you tell me how I go about updating the FUSE Library? I'm not great with Macs

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

AneMotion

Hi guys. Does anybody know if there's a Windows 10 64 bit version of the MLVFS folder?
This current MLVFS_x86 does not work on Win 10 64.
Or is there another way to do this?

bouncyball

@AneMotion:

Look at this thread. Download windows binaries.
Also read this post and follow instructions mentioned there.
Don't forget to uninstall previously installed Dokany before installing newer one.

12georgiadis

Hello,

I just made some shot this week and when dealing with mlvfs, one file had a blue spot on it (seems to be a light). I tried all settings in MLVFS but cannot get rid of. Any idea ?

image hosting

Danne

Maybe a hot or dead pixel. If nothing else helps it is possible to get rid of it by creating a pixel map file in Switch using imageJ.

12georgiadis

Quote from: Danne on August 19, 2017, 07:50:47 PM
Maybe a hot or dead pixel. If nothing else helps it is possible to get rid of it by creating a pixel map file in Switch using imageJ.
Ok I'll Try it. It's very big in the Picture

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

sigurdneby

Excuse my ignorance, but I could not help to ask after trying countless times and not finding my answer in the nest of the thread. I just might be an idiot. Feel free to point me to page numbers.

I have earlier found MLVFS to be very quick, whether its dumping the DNGs directly into resolve or copying them to a drive - but now I no longer have that experience. The speed is at 0.4mb per second and Resolve is working awfully slow. Have tried updating FUSE, using both the virtual drive as well as the directed folder, I can't see the spinning wheel and I am on El Capitan 10.11.6

Cheers

dmilligan

What options do you have enabled? (some are quite slow)

sigurdneby

Quote from: dmilligan on August 25, 2017, 08:23:48 PM
What options do you have enabled? (some are quite slow)

Vertical stripes and dead pixels - might not need the latter one. Will try to reinstall MLVFS now, the .MLV's are using quite a while to load in MLVFS, strange thing - always been very reliable!

sigurdneby

SOLVED - Reinstallation of MLVFS, FUSE, a good old restart and only vertical stripes ticked. Should have done all of this before crying, but I appreciate the attention!

EuAcelasi

Could anuboduy please explain ho to install on Windows 10

Ottoga

Just unzip the application to a location of your choice and run the app directly.

Everything that it needs is self contained within its folder. 
EOS 7D.203, EFS 55-250mm, EF 75-300 III, Tamron 16-300 DiII VC PZD Macro, SpeedLite 580EX II.

EuAcelasi

downloaded the 103 release... lunched the DokanSetup... Installation complete... what next? nothing new on the desktop or in the Explorer...

EuAcelasi

Sorry for asking stupid questions... I`m trying o install the on the fly Converter on Windows 10, but don`t understand exactly how... on x32 system you work in cmd prompt, but here... what are exactly the steps to take... I downloaded the latest version 1.0.3, installed the Visual Studio Comunity 2015 with SDK and WDK. Then lunched the dokanSetup file and it installed. How do I get to mount the virtual Z drive.  Please, may be anybody could explain explain step by step procedure... Thanks

magnesiumnitrate

Forgive me if this has been asked and answered, I couldn't find anything googling or searching the forum.

Is there any way to enable multithreading in the new MLVFLS that is compatible with 12/14 bit lossless? I'm running fix pattern noise and it's absurdly slow but only using one thread on one core so 100%/2400% in activity monitor. (12c/24t Mac Pro)

I saw some promising info with raw2cng that looked like it was forcing MLVdump to use as many threads as you told it to, but I have no idea how to go about modifying the script for MLVFS to make it work.

dmilligan

MLVFS is multithreaded, but not all algorithms can be parallelized (easily or at all). The fix pattern noise algorithm is an experimental algorithm written by a1ex. The implementation as written by a1ex is not easily parallelizable (or maybe not at all, IDK) per frame. However, multiple frames can be processed at a time, but you have to request them. So for example if you ask for one DNG and then wait til it's done to ask for the next one, you will end up waiting. Most programs that access files won't behave like that, b/c it's extremely uncommon for file access to be CPU bound.

If the real problem is that the algorithm is too slow, there are all sorts of optimization avenues to explore, not just multi-threading (vectorization, gpu/hardware acceleration, etc). But you will have to understand and analyze the code and algorithm to do any of this. Any optimization or other improvements to the implementation are welcome contributions.

bouncyball

Quote from: dmilligan on August 31, 2017, 05:53:00 PM
Any optimization or other improvements to the implementation are welcome contributions.
+1 :D

magnesiumnitrate

I'm at best a script kiddie, so actually working the code and optimizing it is way beyond me. However, I will go on record saying I'm happy to do whatever testing anyone else needs, just shoot me a PM!

Quote from: dmilligan on August 31, 2017, 05:53:00 PM
MLVFS is multithreaded, but not all algorithms can be parallelized (easily or at all). The fix pattern noise algorithm is an experimental algorithm written by a1ex. The implementation as written by a1ex is not easily parallelizable (or maybe not at all, IDK) per frame. However, multiple frames can be processed at a time, but you have to request them. So for example if you ask for one DNG and then wait til it's done to ask for the next one, you will end up waiting. Most programs that access files won't behave like that, b/c it's extremely uncommon for file access to be CPU bound.

If the real problem is that the algorithm is too slow, there are all sorts of optimization avenues to explore, not just multi-threading (vectorization, gpu/hardware acceleration, etc). But you will have to understand and analyze the code and algorithm to do any of this. Any optimization or other improvements to the implementation are welcome contributions.

samson33

Is it possible to use MLVFS for Windows 10 64bit?
The thread "MLVFS for Windows" is deprecated.

Is it still possible and does a tutorial exist?