MLVFS - a FUSE based, "on the fly" MLV to CDNG converter

Started by dmilligan, August 31, 2014, 02:01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lureb74

Hi Xenith, regarding your post:

Quote from: Xenith on October 29, 2016, 05:55:24 PM
What works nice for me: Dokan 1.0.0.500 (https://github.com/dokan-dev/dokany/releases)
You have to install the 64bit Version of Dokan if you have a 64bit Windows.
To work nicely with Dokan 64bit I use MLVFS_x64 (http://www.magiclantern.fm/modules/modules/MLVFS_x64.zip/)

can you please tell how to get it works? After uninstall the dokan080 (first post), I tried to install the x64 version (actually the newer release, version 1.0.1) and tried to run it as the previous method pointing the cmd in the MLVFS_x64 folder. Well, what I see in the cmd window is again the path, no errors and/or any message, simply the virtual path isn't be created. May be there's a step more that I missed?
Thanks, L.

cloudnine

Hi again, and again I thank those for all their work behind the scenes, but like lureb74 I also cant get this to work. The links supplied above take you to a multiple of choices to download - which one do I download and install/extract. Yes i am semi technical but not technical enough to understand the finer detail. I have observed in the MLVFS_x64 folder that appears in my "C" drive there is "dokanfuse1.dll" plus other dokan files but in the MLVFS_x86 folder (tried that also) the dokanfuse files are not there, this appears to be a major discrepancy? HELP!!!

Thanks again to all for your time.
And once I am up and running I will contribute further by fully writting here the method to get this going on Windows 10 professional 64 Bit.

skrk

MLVFS is amazing, as are most ML-related things -- but I'm having a couple of issues.

I swear I tried to google this and came up empty :-)

I'm using a 100D (Rebel SL1). Latest ML version for it.

- when I use MLVFS the extracted frames are always exactly half the reported resolution -- is this expected due to demosaicing or something? All the tutorials and examples I see do not seem to halve the resolution, so it seems odd. E.g. the resolution set in the camera and shown in MLVFS is 1728x972, but the resulting .dng's are 864x486. Normal?

UPDATE: In MLVProducer, the frames from the same .MLV file are created full-sized. So this seems related to MLVFS somehow?

- I'm on linux; changes in the MLVFS interface are rarely reflected in the files, despite constant reloading of the webpage interface and refreshing in the file browser or exiting/entering via the command line. The normal-vs-davinci filenames change reflects itself immediately (without even a refresh of the page), everything else seems to not take effect no matter what I do. Once I was able to get some of the options to work, but usually I can not. The settings of the form seem to only take effect the first time the .MLV file is entered in the web GUI -- if I restart it, the settings take effect. Perhaps I need to disable some caching or something?

I know I can just set those options on the command line, so it's not a crisis, but it'd be handy for comparisons if the web interface worked.

Just mentioning this in case it might be relevant: I'm on linux -- it compiled fine but I wasn't sure how to set up the execution environment. I ended up running the executable from inside the build directory where it was created, but I had to copy the contents of data/ to the same directory so it could find the html/js files, etc.

Thanks for any ideas!
100D -- ML v1.0.1

DeafEyeJedi

Earlier today when testing around with 10-bit, 12-bit files from EOSM, 100D and 5D3 and noticed I couldn't get MLVFS to work and then decided to reinstall and try again to no avail. Then I decided to try with old original MLV files that I've previously used (still has the .IDX files) just to be sure and yet it won't do anything other than giving me 'http://www.localhost.com:8000' can't load message on all my browsers.

So at first I thought it was related to the new stuff but now it's happening with everything else ... seriously what gives?

Assuming everyone else has MLVFS working just fine, right?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

PaulHarwood856

Hey DeafEyeJedi,

I've had this issue before. What worked was having the files on my internal drive, then mounting MLVFS. I don't have this issue now for some reason, but that was what worked at the time being. Maybe try reinstalling Fuse to a previous version, or a previous version of MLVFS? Maybe it's issues with OS Sierra? I'm on El Capitan.

- Paul Harwood

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: PaulHarwood856 on November 06, 2016, 06:41:13 AM
I've had this issue before. What worked was having the files on my internal drive, then mounting MLVFS. I don't have this issue now for some reason, but that was what worked at the time being. Maybe try reinstalling Fuse to a previous version, or a previous version of MLVFS? Maybe it's issues with OS Sierra? I'm on El Capitan.

Actually it was just the FUSE that needed to be updated (guess the recent Sierra update 10.12.1 did something to this) so THANKS for yet another friendly reminder, Paul!  8)

My apologizes @dmilligan for making a mess on your thread. Will continue to test 10/12-bit and report my findings. Still quite buggy but definitely looks promising!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

dmilligan

Quote from: skrk on November 06, 2016, 01:16:37 AM
- when I use MLVFS the extracted frames are always exactly half the reported resolution -- is this expected due to demosaicing or something? All the tutorials and examples I see do not seem to halve the resolution, so it seems odd. E.g. the resolution set in the camera and shown in MLVFS is 1728x972, but the resulting .dng's are 864x486. Normal?
How did you determine that the dngs are half resolution? Can you upload a DNG you think is half resolution and/or a very short sample MLV file that exhibits the issue?

PaulHarwood856

skrk

QuoteHow did you determine that the dngs are half resolution?

D'oh, sorry -- it's a viewing issue with ufraw and related libraries. If I open a DNG in ufraw and convert to png, it's fine, it's just when opening the .dng with image viewing programs (which use ufraw to view it) that it shows as half the expected resolution. My mistake.
100D -- ML v1.0.1

lureb74

Quote from: lureb74 on November 05, 2016, 09:11:20 PM
Hi Xenith, regarding your post:

can you please tell how to get it works? After uninstall the dokan080 (first post), I tried to install the x64 version (actually the newer release, version 1.0.1) and tried to run it as the previous method pointing the cmd in the MLVFS_x64 folder. Well, what I see in the cmd window is again the path, no errors and/or any message, simply the virtual path isn't be created. May be there's a step more that I missed?
Thanks, L.

Regarding my last post, I forgot to write that I'm trying to run with updated dokany and MLVFS_x64 in order to solve just a Dual Iso processing problem:
When I select Full (20bit) and AMaZE interpolation (leaving all other previous and following parameters as defaults), I can't see any visible improvement (in therms of quality, resolution, details) from Mean32 setting; the only difference merely visible when using AMaZE is that many ugly blemishes appears randomly across all frames:

NB: since the image is an animated gif, it has some dots due to the file format: only pay attention on differences, specially those black dots/strips!

Don't know if it was already reported in this forum, anyway...

dfort

I've been doing some tests on a new focus pixel map file and thought I'd try MLVFS via the command line but the fpm files aren't working. This is probably an issue with setting the working directory? I also tried it by changing to the ~/Library/Services/MLVFS.workflow/Contents/mlvfs directory and running it from there but I'm still seeing dots.

Here's what I've been doing--on OSX.

mount:
~/Library/Services/MLVFS.workflow/Contents/mlvfs <mount point> --mlv_dir=<directory with MLV files>

The FUSE volume is "OSXFUSE Volume 0 (mlvfs)" on the desktop and doesn't show up on the Devices list like when launching it with Control click and choosing the MLVFS from Services. However, the dng files are there and everything seems to be fine except that the focus pixels are back.

To unmount:
umount <mount point>

dmilligan

What is your working directory when launching MLVFS, and where are the files?

dfort

Files and mount point are on the Desktop. Tried it using the following working directories "pwd":

~/
~/Desktop
~/Library/Services/MLVFS.workflow/Contents/mlvfs

dmilligan

Files need to be in the current working directory mlvfs is launched from. You can always just put them in ~/Library/Services/MLVFS.workflow/Contents/mlvfs and launch MLVFS the normal way.

dfort

That's an unusual place to put the files. Tried it and while it works fine when launching MLVFS in the "normal way" which I assume is by right clicking and choosing the mount point, it doesn't work from the command line. Note that it doesn't seem to matter where I have my files, launching the normal way seems to always work while I have yet to find a way to mount via the command line and not see the focus pixels on the dng files.

By the way, I've got a new fpm file that works with the new crop_rec video mode on the EOSM that @rbrune is working on. It is uses the same full raw buffer size as mv720 and as you pointed out when we were working on focus pixels this could be a problem. By merging the two map files I found that it works with both mv720 and crop_rec modes. Maybe it is not an ideal solution but it works. Sent you a pull request for it.

dmilligan

Before you launch MLVFS type
ls
Do you see your files? You should, if you don't, you're not in the right working directory.

dfort

That makes sense because the normal way to launch MLVFS is by pointing to the directory with the MLV files in it, a.k.a. mlv_dir (--mlv_dir=<directory with MLV files>) However, that didn't work either. I also tried it moving the folder with the files into the ~/Library/Services/MLVFS.workflow/Contents/mlvfs directory and launch MLVFS from there. The problem with that was that I couldn't find the mount. There was no error message on the terminal and the "mount" folder was gone from the Desktop so I tried:

$ ls ~/Desktop/mount
ls: mount: Device not configured

Re-reading your previous post I might have gotten it wrong by putting the files in a subdirectory so I moved them into the Contents directory and launched from there. Once again, can't find the FUSE mount but this time:

$ ls ~/Desktop/mount/
Applications Volumes opt
Incompatible Software bin private
Library cores sbin
Network dev usr
System home
Users net

Sorry for all the trouble, I thought this would be straight forward. Putting files inside of the MLVFS/Contents is rather impractical if that does turn out to be the solution.

dmilligan

Type "ls" and nothing else. Do you see your fpm files listed?

dmilligan

You do realize there's a difference between

~/Library/Services/MLVFS.workflow/Contents/mlvfs <mount point> --mlv_dir=<directory with MLV files>

And

cd ~/Library/Services/MLVFS.workflow/Contents/
./mlvfs <mount point> --mlv_dir=<directory with MLV files>

(The latter being the one you need to do)

dfort

Let's see if I'm doing this right. I put the MLV files inside of the MLVFS.workflow/Contents directory then:

RosieFoComputer:Contents rosiefort$ pwd
/Users/rosiefort/Library/Services/MLVFS.workflow/Contents
RosieFoComputer:Contents rosiefort$ ./mlvfs /Users/rosiefort/Desktop/mount --mlv_dir=/Users/rosiefort/Library/Services/MLVFS.workflow/Contents
RosieFoComputer:Contents rosiefort$ ls /Users/rosiefort/Desktop/mount
M13-1148.MLV M13-1149.MLV M13-1150.MLV

Great--volume is mounted and visible on the Desktop but the focus pixels are still showing up on the dng files. This happened every time that I started MLVFS from the command line no matter where the files are located or what working directory I start from.

As you know shooting a few dark frames with an EOSM/650D/700D/100D and bring up the exposure adjustment in ACR (or other raw editing software) will show if the focus pixel removal is working. This is what I'm seeing:

And this is with focus pixel removal working on MLVFS:

One of the reasons some users prefer to work with mlv_dump is because it can be run automatically from a script. I'm trying to show that there is a way to do the same only faster and better with MLVFS.

dmilligan

This is getting so confusing. Why did you put the MLV files in there? I thought this whole thing was about MLVFS not finding your focus pixel map files. The focus pixel maps need to be in the same directory that you are in when you launch MLVFS. The MLV files can be wherever you like, simply pass their location to the --mlv-dir argument like you did. If you type "ls" and ONLY that, no other arguments, you should see the .fpm files listed.

BTW, when I've been saying "files" in all my previous posts, I'm talking about the fpm files NOT the mlv files. It occurs to me now that you thought I was talking about the MLV files.

dfort

Quote from: dmilligan on November 14, 2016, 03:21:54 AM
...It occurs to me now that you thought I was talking about the MLV files.

Yes, that's what I thought you were referring to.

Ok--so I copied all of the fpm files to the same directory as the mlv files, changed into that directory and launched mlvfs from the command line but the focus pixels are still there. Launching by right clicking on the folder using the same mount point and it works fine.

When mounting the "normal" way the mounted volume looks like this and it appears in the Devices list on the left panel of a finder window:

And when mounting via the command line the mounted volume doesn't appear in the Devices list but it does appear on the Desktop. Here's the folder with the mlv files next to the mounted volume:

I can send you short MLV files from and EOSM and 700D that clearly shows the focus pixels if you want--but I thought you mentioned that you have an EOSM?

Danne

I think your fpm files should be inside mlvfs inside Contents folder. Not together with you MLV files. Launch mlvfs binary from there and most likely path will work from there.
And as dmilligan points out. cd into the contents folder before dragging the binary to terminal window.
By the way. Is mlvfs paths all hardcoded to library folder or could it be placed and used from any other location while using mlvfs via command line?

dfort

Quote from: Danne on November 14, 2016, 09:11:01 AM
I think your fpm files should be inside mlvfs inside Contents folder. Not together with you MLV files. Launch mlvfs binary from there and most likely path will work from there.

Been there, done that. Is focus pixel removal working for you? I keep thinking that I must be doing something wrong.

Quote from: Danne on November 14, 2016, 09:11:01 AM
Is mlvfs paths all hardcoded to library folder or could it be placed and used from any other location while using mlvfs via command line?

I just tried it and it works--with the exception of the focus pixel removal. Put it in a location that's in your path and you can launch it from anywhere. That's great if you want to use mlvfs from the command line and don't need the web browser interface.

Danne

Didn,t try. At work. Did you erase mlvfs from library folder before testing with mlvfs on the other location?
You also did cd into the Contents folder before running?

*Just tried entering Contents folder and working from command line on a 100D file. Fpm files don,t apply. Either from original library location nor when put somewhere else. Something,s seems broken. Works when launched through services contextual menu.