MLVFS - a FUSE based, "on the fly" MLV to CDNG converter

Started by dmilligan, August 31, 2014, 02:01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tom2

Hi,
I love MLVFS because it is so fast. I use MLVFS on my macbook pro.
But can anyone tell me how can I fix the vertical stripes on my 5D mark III footage?
The "Vertical Stripes Fix" option appears on the webpage, but for me it seems to be too late because the "virtual" cndg file has already been mounted... Should I use the "Fix pattern noise" option?...
So far the only app which gives a true "vertical stripes fix" on my 5D Mark III footage is MLRAwViewer. I wish I could do the same with MLVFS
best regards
Tom

DeafEyeJedi

You still can. Just be sure to 'refresh' the web page after your make your selections (vertical stripe fix, etc) before you start rendering the exports otherwise.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

tom2

thanks a lot!
I did refresh the page, but in the end I couldn't see any difference between the "on" and "off" versions of the  "Vertical Stripes Fix" , on the exported clips of my 5D Mark III
When using MLRawviewer as a DNG converter, the "Vertical Stripes fix" seems to be much more efficient!...
It's strange...
best regards
Tom

Danne

Have you tried working with darkframe subtraction. I seen some very good results eliminating banding in shadow areas. Deafeye had some nice results with this.

tom2

never heard of "darkframe substraction"...
To "develop" my files, I use DaVinciResolve, maybe there is an equivalent in it?
see u
Tom

Danne

I think it can be done in resolve but I don,t know how well it works. Mlv_dump provides an averaging setting. You can check more on this implemented here. http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13512.msg164871#msg164871

dmilligan

Is the vertical banding present in the highlights or shadows?

If the banding is in the highlights, darkframe subtraction won't help. Banding in the highlights is a sign of a multiplicative defect (the column gains are off slightly, which is fixed by multiplying pixels values by some correction factor).

If the banding is in the shadows, the "vertical stripe fix" won't help. Banding in the shadows is a sign of an additive defect (there is some linear offset, which is fixed by simply subtracting some correction value from the pixel values).

DeafEyeJedi

Perhaps share some or at least one of the original MLV that shows these issues @tom2?

kinkersnick

Hi,

I've used MLVFS a few times in the past with no problems, but now all of a sudden it has stopped working. Every time I try to use it, it opens up the web browser to http://localhost:8000/ but says:

This site can't be reached
localhost refused to connect.

I've read in some places that this can be a problem with apache, but I've checked in Terminal and it's running. When I go to 127.0.0.1 it says 'It works!' so there's no problem there.

I have tried moving just one MLV file into a folder and it has the same problem.

I'm on a really tight deadline here, so any help will be much appreciated! In the meantime, can anyone recommend an alternate method for batch converting MLV to DNG on Mac?

Here is an example crash report: https://we.tl/CDRuYH9JY3

dmilligan

Any strange or unusual characters in the path name of the folder you're trying to mount? Anything in ~/.mlvfs.log ?

tom2

hi,
by request I send 3 pictures of the vertical stripes, which shows that MLRawviewer seems much more efficient than MLVFS and Rawmagic... https://we.tl/xzqMJCw23n
I wish the fast MLVFS could be as efficient as MLRAWviewer for the vertical stripes!
tom

Danne

From looking at your examples i think you would get even better results with darkframe averaging. Dfa will also get rid of color artifacts.

DeafEyeJedi

Didn't ask for samples. Asked for originals. Here's an 'example' of what DF avg processed soley in MLP can do (Thanks @Danne & @baldavenger as well as to @g3gg0 for updating mlv_dump) w a footage shot from 5D3 w 16-35L in 24p 1080p wide open @ ISO 3200 (keep in mind I intentionally pushed the exposure up +5.00 in ACR for this test comparison) below.

Pre-DF avg:

Post-DF avg:

I believe this can also be done while running MLVFS in conjunction with MLP's DF avg processing together as well. Oops, my wrong! (check below)

Danne

Great example Deafeye. Can,t be done via mlvfs. It,s thanks to g3gg0,s mlv_dump this works. I put together som streamlined workflows though which could be used seemlessly in MLP together with non averaged footage.

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: Danne on August 21, 2016, 10:20:49 PM
It,s thanks to g3gg0,s mlv_dump this works.

Thanks for the reminder!

@kinkersnick -- were you able to get it working again with MLVFS on your end?

hyalinejim

I'd like to quickly and efficiently be able to do this for some high ISO shots before bringing them into ACR. But I'm on a PC.

Are there any GUI based software applications that can perform a dark frame subtraction on Windows? I know that mlv_dump can do it, but I can't figure out how to use it. Even if I could, I get the feeling that it involves a lot of typing and moving files around manually and that there would be a certain amount of referring to a GUI based program to identify the correct ISO, etc. etc.

And I know that MLVProducer can do it as well, but the DNGs it exports are no different with or without the subtraction - it only seems to work when exporting to other formats and I want to stick with ACR and Cinelog. So are there any GUIs that can do dark frame averaging and subtraction?

PabloW

I just started using MLVFS and made a tutorial for myself to remember how to use it, but in Spanish. I'll just paste it here, maybe it can help someone.

QuoteComo convertir MLV a secuencias DNG, listas para editar.

1. Bajar e instalar Dokany y MLVFS_x86 desde el siguiente link (http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13152.0)
el MLVFS_x86 es una carpeta, conviene ubicarla en el disco C: o similar para facilitar los siguientes pasos.

2. Una vez instalado todo, hay que montar los archivos MLV a un disco virtual, para poder usarlos como secuencias DNG que es lo podemos editar en Premiere, AE, Resolve, etc.

a) Crear una carpeta donde vayamos a ubicar los archivos de video .MLV (idealmente en el disco mas rápido que tengamos). Por ejemplo en el disco E: y la carpeta le ponemos MLVFS de nombre.

b) Iniciar el programa abriendo un cmd y poniendo esto
c:
cd \MLVFS_x86
mlvfs.exe M:\ --mlv-dir=E:\MLVFS

(en el primer paso fuimos al disco C, en el segundo a la carpeta MLVFS_x86, en el tercero abrimos el programa y montamos un disco virtual "M:" tomando la dirección de la carpeta que creamos antes que en este caso la hice en "E:\MLVFS")

Dejar abierto este CMD siempre que usemos los archivos que estemos editando.

3. Ya podemos ver el disco virtual M: creado. Si tiramos los archivos MLV a la carpeta MLVFS aparecerán en el disco M: en carpetas ya convertidos a DNG, listos para usar y sin ocupar espacio extra.

4. Podemos entrar en el navegador a: http://localhost:8000/
Ahi podemos editar ciertas características de nuestros archivos y ver un preview en GIF

hyalinejim

Thanks Pablo, but that's not what I was asking. MLVFS cannot do dark frame averaging and subtraction and I'd like to know if there's a GUI frontend for Windows that can accomplish that.

AWPStar

MLVProducer. p.s. sorry for my bad english.

hyalinejim

Thanks AWP Star, I'll continue the discussion in the thread for MLV Producer

Quentin

Just tried MLVFS on my PC and my Canon 5d mk3.
Am I mistaken or is not possible to take advantage of Adobe's RAW color processing ?
I use AfterFX and although the sequence is loaded fine, the processing I do applies only on first frame.
I assume its because FS is read only.

Please help

Quentin

After careful observations I realized that the FS is read only, thats why its impossible to use ACR.
By opening all DNGs in Photoshop first and process the colors, its possible to use this adjustment in AFX.
Nothing to do in Premiere. Overall the FS although promising, its not mature enough for real use, in my opinion.

Lars Steenhoff

just copy the the dng files to a folder on your computer

dmilligan

That defeats the whole purpose.

MLVFS is not read only, but I believe there may be some dokany issues (either with dokany itself or the way MLVFS interacts with it). I don't have Windows machine so I can't really support the Windows version, but feel free to pull the source and try with the latest dokany version.

waza57

Hello,
For a gain of speed I try to play with registry in windows .

in
          HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\ we can create a key named "mount MLV" (clik right->new key)
then in
          HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\mount MLV we must create a key named "command" 
and then:
          we create on right side a string value like this (right click-> new string value) and tape this

cmd /c "start /D <path where mlvs.exe is located> mlvfs.exe x: --mlv_dir="%1" && "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" localhost:8000"

be Careful we must left a space between the path and mlvfs.exe!

Now with a right click on a folder with MLV files we can mount it and start the web gui in the same time.

hope this helps.