MLVFS - a FUSE based, "on the fly" MLV to CDNG converter

Started by dmilligan, August 31, 2014, 02:01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

_OLLE_

Thanks @Frank7D but is there a easy way to divide the footage into lets say one folder with 60fps and one with 30fps? I think it is really timeconsuming to find out the footage framerate with you just have the MLV file

aschille84

This is much easier in resolve, where you can export your log masters in the source framerate/resolution.

QuickHitRecord

I haven't had this happen with MLVFS before. Every time I try to mount, the web browser (Firefox) gives me this:

QuoteUnable to connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at localhost:8000.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
    If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
    If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Any idea why this is happening?
5DmIII | January 27 2017 Nightly Build (Firmware: 1.23) | KomputerBay 256GB CF Cards (1066x & 1200x)

DeafEyeJedi

I get this too whenever I use the wifi connection at work where they exclusively use FireWalls for the sake of the company. I just simply use my iPhone's hotspot to use the Internet in order to bypass this.

Even tho I was told that we can actually use MLVFS without Internet though I'd rather be able to see the local host page.

Do you have anti virus software installed by any chance @QuickHitRecord? Just curious have you also tried on Safari?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Simonwb

Ah similar problem I had, reported here a few pages back. I'll look at my firewall settings. Thanks
5D3.123 | 5D4 | C100ii | 16-35 f4 | 24-105 f4ii | 70-200 f2.8ii | 50 f1.2 | 100 f2.8 | Samyang 16, 24, 35, 50, 85, 135

dmilligan

If you can't see the webgui AND you can't see the MLVFS mount, then MLVFS probably didn't start at all. Check the console output or if on Mac: ~/.mlvfs.log

If you can see the MLVFS mount, but not the webgui, then it means one of several possibilities:

- Your account doesn't have permission to open a TCP port (whichever port you started MLVFS with, the default is 8000).

- That particular TCP port is in use (this could be another instance of MLVFS or something else), try a different one (the Mac Automator service doesn't give you a way to specify the port, so you'll have to use the CLI). There's a slim chance that a previous instance of MLVFS could have crashed but is still holding the port open; to fix this, just restart your computer.

- You are missing the webgui support files, they are in the wrong location, or MLVFS was not launched with the correct working directory and therefore cannot find them (this shouldn't be a problem if using Mac Automator service).

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on May 31, 2016, 05:13:44 PM
Even tho I was told that we can actually use MLVFS without Internet though I'd rather be able to see the local host page.
You can use MLVFS, even the webgui, without internet connectivity.

Danne

I encountered the "port open" issue after creating a virtual partition with a script. Restart would fix it. Any how, is it possible to do kill -9 <pid> as with any other application process? (no need for restart.)

DeafEyeJedi

@dmilligan -- Anxious to know how to run MLVFS without internet connectivity (not that much of a priority tho) however I am still encountering that name scheming so called bug? I cannot use punctuation marks while naming the Folder (easier to organize) but still OK with not being able to use it even though I would like to.

Also if I remember correctly I've been able to use them in the past with previous builds without any issues.

https://vimeo.com/168821878

Thanks, David!

dmilligan

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on May 31, 2016, 08:28:16 PM
Anxious to know how to run MLVFS without internet connectivity
1. Disconnect from the internet
2. Use MLVFS as you normally would

I just tried this and it works fine. Tested it with Chrome, Safari, and Firefox. The address http://localhost:8000/ is a local address and it should resolve to your own computer. It does not require any internet connectivity to get to http://localhost:8000/ and MLVFS does not try to use the internet in anyway (that's the main reason jquery is a local resource rather than loading it from say: http://code.jquery.com/jquery-1.11.0.min.js).

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on May 31, 2016, 08:28:16 PM
however I am still encountering that name scheming so called bug? I cannot use punctuation marks while naming the Folder
The problem is shell expansion. The parenthesis have special meaning and must be escaped. I thought I fixed that one, but I guess not. It's fixed now. New build uploaded.

DeafEyeJedi

Ah, I had thought you'd fixed that bug in previous builds too. Maybe it was just a loophole that I've caused on your end?  :P Just tried running your latest build (cd2d9bb-dirty May 31 201616:12:23) with a bunch of name schemings in which all seems solid and Thanks for the quick fix.

Anyway, in regards to the offline-capabilities which I've learned that once Safari says "You're not connected to internet ... etc" then I copied the http://localhost:8000 URL link and pasted into a blank web page within Chrome and voila the web gui showed up.

https://vimeo.com/168887077

What can I do to make this work with Safari or better yet to be able to have MLVFS open up with Chrome instead of Safari if there are no other work arounds for this user error on my part?

Thanks again for your time, David!

*edit*

Quote from: Danne on May 31, 2016, 08:07:17 PM
Any how, is it possible to do kill -9 <pid> as with any other application process? (no need for restart.)

+1

bouncyball

Heh.. does OSX interpretes "kill -9"?! not the way other OSes do? :o

If you are root/admin you can kill anything you want exept kernel processes. Just kill mlvfs correctly (no need for -9) that's how it works under linux at least.

If you run mlvfs with some user permission under osx I guess you should not have any problem to kill it with that user too.

dmilligan

It's much easier to just tell people to restart their computer than it is to explain to them how to use the CLI to kill a process. It's also foolproof and more effective.

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on June 01, 2016, 06:34:10 AM
What can I do to make this work with Safari or better yet to be able to have MLVFS open up with Chrome instead of Safari if there are no other work arounds for this user error on my part?
Have you tried manually entering the address in Safari? or refreshing the page? Also try http://127.0.0.1:8000/ and if you're on a proxy (you mentioned something about work), check your proxy settings to make sure localhost and 127.0.0.1 bypass the proxy.

bouncyball

Quote from: dmilligan on June 01, 2016, 05:40:42 PM
It's much easier to just tell people to restart their computer than it is to explain to them how to use the CLI to kill a process. It's also foolproof and more effective.

Yeah, very familiar but mostly for windows machines :)

markodarko

MLVFS Version: 6cf1742 Mar 4 201617:23:30

Not sure if this has been reported, @dmilligan, or even if it's a bug at all and just my crummy system (8Gb RAM) but...

Copying out cDNG files from a 7.5Gb MLV takes around a minute, but... copying out cDNG files from a 30Gb MLV (I know, it's crazy) takes over 6 HOURS.

The reason I was copying out cDNG files at all was because that 30Gb MLV file wouldn't load in After Effects. MLVFS would run at 100% and after an hour, still no joy, so I thought I'd copy out the files (as it's quite a large one) to see if that would make a difference and that's when I noticed the same problem - MLVFS runs at 100% and the process took over 6 hours to complete, yet for a file a quarter of the size it takes around a minute. Naturally I was expecting it to take around 4 minutes.

Let me know if you need me to run any specific tests. I think I still have the original MLV file somewhere but I'm not sure. This happened 2 weeks ago and I completely forgot to report it back then I'm afraid.  :-[

Cheers,

Mark.

dmilligan

I recently uploaded a new version. Try it. If its still slow and you'd like to help debug the issue and don't mind installing Xcode (free in the app store), then I can walk you through what to do (I need a profiler report from the "Instruments" tool).

canneloni

100D.100B ; Canon 18-55 STM ; Canon 50 1,8 II ; Canon 75-300 4,0 - 5,6 III ; Sigma 17-50 2,8

C T Mok

Can someone pls tell me how to remove/uninstall MLVFS from a Mac. Installed on a wrong machine. Thanks.

dmilligan

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: dmilligan on June 01, 2016, 05:40:42 PM
Have you tried manually entering the address in Safari? or refreshing the page? Also try http://127.0.0.1:8000/ and if you're on a proxy (you mentioned something about work), check your proxy settings to make sure localhost and 127.0.0.1 bypass the proxy.

Yes, I've tried using the http://127.0.0.1:8000/ which works just fine. Even with a firewall wifi at work after manually typing in that URL link. Thanks for the tip!

However, would you mind explaining on how exactly can I set the localhost 127.0.0.1 to bypass the proxy within Network Settings on the Mac?

Thanks again, David!

C T Mok

Quote from: dmilligan on June 08, 2016, 01:30:56 PM
delete ~/Library/Services/MLVFS.workflow
Thx dmilligan. You saved my day. However, I would like to add that one must first show the hidden files in OSX in order to see this file path.

piloui

Hi there,

Does anyone else have huge long time of dng loading from virtual drive inside davinci resolve ? This time seems to increase with number of mlvs, which looks logical. But the navigation inside windows explorer is much more faster than resolve's media pool. With ~ 60 mlvs, it takes an eternity or even never end.
( windows 10, dokan + mlvfs X86 )

voblaunsane

Hi all,

Having troubles to finding the latest versions for win. mlvfs I list bellow is newer than the one listed in the first page of this thread, but it's from febuary, mac appears to be right?.. would anyone confirm please that these are the latest?

win:
MLVFS x64.zip 27-Feb-2016 10:01: http://www.magiclantern.fm/modules/modules/MLVFS_x64.zip/

mac:
MLVFS.dmg 2016-05-31: https://bitbucket.org/dmilligan/mlvfs/downloads/MLVFS.dmg

Many thanks,
V

PabloW

Does anyone used MLVFS on Windows with footage from a T4i / 650D ?

Does this remove pink dots automatically? (focus and sensor dots)

dmilligan

kinkersnick

Hi,

I've been using MLVFS for months without any problems. I've just moved to a new location (and therefore internet connection) and now it's not working. I mention the move, because that's the only thing that's changed.

I'm on OSX 10.11.6.

When I try to run the MLVFS service, I get the 'Site can't be reached' error. If I try to run it in Terminal, it says 'Segmentation fault: 11'.

I am running the latest versions of OSX, Fuse and MLVFS.

I have checked my hosts file is ok, I have made sure I can access localhost (when I go to 127.0.0.1 it says 'It works!').

I cannot figure out how to make this work, nor what I have changed that could have stopped it from working.

Help!