MLVFS - a FUSE based, "on the fly" MLV to CDNG converter

Started by dmilligan, August 31, 2014, 02:01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: newsense on March 29, 2016, 02:11:06 AM
When i copy .dng's from a mounted MLV and import those dng's as a sequence into after effects using ACR the video imports but when I render I only get one frame rendered. I tried just importing the mounted .dng's and every frame rendered. Am I doing something wrong?

Perhaps you haven't tried using SmartImport2 while using MLVFS within AE.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

newsense

Quote from: newsense on March 29, 2016, 02:11:06 AM
When i copy .dng's from a mounted MLV and import those dng's as a sequence into after effects using ACR the video imports but when I render I only get one frame rendered. I tried just importing the mounted .dng's and every frame rendered. Am I doing something wrong?

UPDATE: figured it out, I had to copy the whole folder and not just the .dng's. For some reason that worked.

andy kh

mlvfs for windows works like a charm. i was away from home for so many months so i couldnt experiment or join the forum but today i just tried and it works but pink dots are not removed. i hope it is not implemented for windows
5D Mark III - 70D

dmilligan

You must launch MLVFS from the directory containing the focus pixel maps, and your camera metadata in the MLV file must be correct (MLVFS must know which camera, and some older versions of ML don't record camera metadata for certain cameras). Does the webgui work? Is the camera model metadata shown in the webgui correct?

andy kh

@dmilligan camera model is not shown. mine is an older version. will test the new version tomorow morning

edit:just downloaded the latest version of ml and done a quick test and this time pink dot has gone.n  camera version is shwon in webgui. this is awesome. wil do more test and report any bug. thank q
5D Mark III - 70D

TheJuice

Hi,
I noticed that if the directory the MLV files are in contains accentuated characters (for instance "é"), it won't work.
I can rename the folders, but I have many, and it would be nice to have UTF-8 support :-)

Cheers

dmilligan

Just tried a folder named: "MLV🍺 " (U+1F37A) and it worked just fine, you might have to be a little more specific about what you tried, version, OS, etc.

DeafEyeJedi

Hey David,

Just checking to see if you have been following this along lately because after shooting a bunch of test footage in slo-mo with the new crop_rec.mo from @a1ex's recent update which doesn't seem work fully 100% with current MLVFS on those new files but some do show up and some don't.

Do you see similar symptoms on your end?

If not, then here are a few of my sample files with one working and the other not 'showing up'.

https://mega.nz/#F!j4dQQYhT!UW4PnUEo7j9AMRpZ6biEAA

Thanks!

squig

I haven't had any problem with crop_rec files in MLVFS on OS X Yosemite or El Capitan.

dmilligan

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on April 04, 2016, 09:26:21 AM
crop_rec.mo from @a1ex's recent update which doesn't seem work fully 100% with current MLVFS on those new files but some do show up and some don't.
It's probably a coincidence and actually due to something else. crop_rec doesn't affect raw recording in anyway other than the actual image data that is recorded (format, metadata, etc should all be the same).

DeafEyeJedi

It was most likely due to the CF card I had used (w USB 3.0 Kingston Card reader). Even tho it's never a problem to do this workflow with KB128GB 1066x cards but this one is a 5 year old SanDisk Extreme Pro 90MB/s UDMA 32GB. Not my favorite card but while I was testing this out during the weekend away from home and all of my KB's cards were full with MLV's that I wanted to held on to. Saving up to get yet another external drive for archival purposes. Ugh!

Because I just dragged all of the files from the card into the system on OS X and ran MLVFS which all seems normal now. One file didn't show up because it was corrupted (M04-1342.MLV -- small size 608 bytes) probably due from me fiddling with the 5D3 too quick in-between takes (pressing play button twice, etc).

I'll try to reproduce this on my end. All of this was used with the recent new update of crop_rec.mo that was released by @a1ex in conjunction with @beauchampy's ML configure settings in order to try and troubleshoot down the corruption frames bug during slo-mo's on 5D3's.

Meanwhile, here's that particular corrupted file if anyone's curious ... https://mega.nz/#!3p9QUJCA!xeBR6vQEuPVEAlMO2LidLxGjwAxoWqLuiMoYoJXC43I

TheJuice

Hi,

Just tried a folder named: "MLV🍺 " (U+1F37A) and it worked just fine, you might have to be a little more specific about what you tried, version, OS, etc.

I have an MVL file in this path for example :
I:\_Photos\2014-08 Oléron\Movies\sieste\M19-1650.MLV

When I enter the "I:\_Photos\2014-08 Oléron\" directory :

• In Windows Explorer, it crashes.
  • In the web server, it shows an empty directory (when there is an MLV file in a sub-directory).

Explorer screenshot:

Web Server screenshot:

I have Windows 10, and just installed Dokan and MLVFS yesterday. I don't know how to check MLVFS's version, as it displays :
>mlvfs --version
Version: UNKNOWN
Date:    UNKNOWN

g3gg0

according to https://github.com/dokan-dev/dokany/blob/master/dokan_fuse/src/fusemain.cpp
the strings must be UTF-8.
utf8_to_wchar_buf(name, find_data.cFileName, MAX_PATH);

converting the filenames properly from CP to UTF-8 resulted in the directory with accent not being listed anymore.
seems like some mlvfs and dokan issue.

Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

andy kh

im not able drag and drop mlv audio on timeline in the latest version of premiere pro cc 2015.2. i can drag and drop only the video

edit: change some settings in audio track and now it works
5D Mark III - 70D

TheJuice

Quoteaccording to https://github.com/dokan-dev/dokany/blob/master/dokan_fuse/src/fusemain.cpp
the strings must be UTF-8.
utf8_to_wchar_buf(name, find_data.cFileName, MAX_PATH);

converting the filenames properly from CP to UTF-8 resulted in the directory with accent not being listed anymore.
seems like some mlvfs and dokan issue.

Hi,
Is it going to be fixed in a future version ?

canneloni

I somehow feel like I am way to stupid to use MLVFS. I use Windows 8.1 x64 and downloaded Dokani and MLVFS from this post:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13152.msg163041#msg163041

I unpacked it directly to "C:/" and start the Command Prompt with the Parameters. After that, there is no error message but i don't see a new drive in my Computer. When i try to connect to "localhost:8000" there is no server found.

I want to use MLVFS to shoot RAW with my canon 100D and get rid of the focus pixels. I tried MLRaw Viewer, which is okay, but isn't developed any more. And i tried MLVProducer which does not offer the Focus Pixel Map for the 100D. When i use the full frame one i feel like it loses some of its sharpness.

Edit:

Is there a way to update the first post with all the right download links and stuff? I feel like there have been so many discussions going on that the first post hasen't been updated in a while. Maybe someone will write a complete updated workflow tutorial?
100D.100B ; Canon 18-55 STM ; Canon 50 1,8 II ; Canon 75-300 4,0 - 5,6 III ; Sigma 17-50 2,8

andy kh

5D Mark III - 70D

canneloni

Thanks for your answer. I already whatched that video but i am wondering, since i am on Windows 8.1 do i have to use mlvfs_x86 or mlvfs_x64 ? And do i have to use Dokan 0.8 or 1.0 ? I will try again with x_86 and dokan 0.8 just to see if it works.

Thank you!

Edit: I tried with the download file in the first post, so mlvfs_x86 and Dokan 0.8 but it still won't work :/ Maybe because i also tried to use the quick mount function at one point?
100D.100B ; Canon 18-55 STM ; Canon 50 1,8 II ; Canon 75-300 4,0 - 5,6 III ; Sigma 17-50 2,8

Simonwb

This has been working for me just fine on a MacBook Pro OS X Yosemite 10.10.5

But with exactly the same files - and following the same install - on a 2013 Mac Pro OS X El Capitan 10.11.4 I get a "localhost:8000" error in Safari and the mounts don't appear

Any ideas how I can fix this?

Many thanks
5D3.123 | 5D4 | C100ii | 16-35 f4 | 24-105 f4ii | 70-200 f2.8ii | 50 f1.2 | 100 f2.8 | Samyang 16, 24, 35, 50, 85, 135

dmilligan

markodarko

Quote from: Simonwb on April 30, 2016, 12:06:45 AM
This has been working for me just fine on a MacBook Pro OS X Yosemite 10.10.5

But with exactly the same files - and following the same install - on a 2013 Mac Pro OS X El Capitan 10.11.4 I get a "localhost:8000" error in Safari and the mounts don't appear

The only time I experienced that error was when using an attached drive with characters or length of drive name that MLVFS didn't like. I renamed it to a one-word name and all was well.

Simonwb

Quote from: dmilligan on May 02, 2016, 03:12:24 AM
Post the contents of ~/.mlvfs.log

Thanks but I couldn't find such a log - I looked in Console.
5D3.123 | 5D4 | C100ii | 16-35 f4 | 24-105 f4ii | 70-200 f2.8ii | 50 f1.2 | 100 f2.8 | Samyang 16, 24, 35, 50, 85, 135

Simonwb

Quote from: markodarko on May 02, 2016, 07:36:54 AM
The only time I experienced that error was when using an attached drive with characters or length of drive name that MLVFS didn't like. I renamed it to a one-word name and all was well.

Thanks for the tip, but I was using a folder I simply named "dng"

dmilligan

It's a hidden file in your home folder.

Open the terminal and type

cat ~/.mlvfs.log

Try a different folder name. The name "dng" could potentially confuse MLFVS (b/c DNG files end in "dng".)

Roberto Mena

How come when I turn off my computer and I open up Premiere Pro the MLV files I converted with MLVFS to DNG go missing on my Premiere Pro project and only the template for the files remain but the actual files disappear?