MLVFS - a FUSE based, "on the fly" MLV to CDNG converter

Started by dmilligan, August 31, 2014, 02:01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmilligan

Definitely sounds like the card is the problem. Can you please send me the crash log(s).

monky

Hey Guys, im using mlvfs and its working like a charme for me only 1 thing seems to be strange.
The White Balance is not like it was in the shot its really blueish.

Am i doing something wrong? Or better is there an easy Fix for that? 

Danne

Could you have been shooting in awb? I think you can use all modes except awb, and if you use awb it will rely on whatever kelvin your camera i set on. A really good way to nail white balance is via the Auto adjust Kelvin + G/M in ML menu. http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16283.msg158136#msg158136
Unfortunately GM and BA numbers aren,t computed in any converter that I am aware of at the moment.

monky

yes i was shooting in awb. But it seems linke is just a problem in mlvfs the footage is showen correctly in mlvrawviewer rawmagic and so on.

Danne

It,s not correct. It goes to default 5500k in those converters.

dmilligan

Some updates:

Loading pages in the webgui is now asynchronous, so if the index files have not generated yet, the page will come up immediately, and the rows will say "loading" until MLVFS processes the corresponding file.

If you have a large set of files, help test the feature by deleting existing .IDX files and letting MLVFS regenerate them. The webgui should come up immediately, and the rows should load asynchronously.

Also I've added an experimental "deflickering" feature that will match the exposure of each frame by equalizing the median pixel values of each frame to some specified value. This hasn't been extensively tested, so please let me know if/how well it works. It also depends on your raw processor actually respecting the BaselineExposure tag, so if it doesn't work, this may be the reason. AFAIK, ACR seems to respect this tag, but it typically applies its own non-linear processing to images, making deflickering more unpredictable.

monky

The new Version is a little problematic for me. At the Gui the Videoinformation didnt show up. In Davinci i get an error message of a full gpu drive and wrong previews

dmilligan

Could you be a little more specific, provide more detailed information and perhaps post some screenshots?

dmilligan

Quote from: monky on December 06, 2015, 09:32:51 PM
At the Gui the Videoinformation didnt show up.
ok, think I fixed this part, try new download

monky

Loading inside the Gui is now okay for me.

But here are my Davinci Errors:

I run it on a Macbook Pro 2013 with an Geforce 650 Videocard.

*Edit*

Seems like its working again now.

Danne

Very cool stuff, deflickering. Just tried with a HDR file to see the reaction(dforts suggestion) value set to 5000 . ACR evens out the exposures quite good actually between iso 100-1600. I can see how good this will be with timelapses and frsp. Too bad dcraw doesn,t read these dng values.

dmilligan

@monky,
I don't see how resolve running out of GPU memory could have anything to do with MLVFS.

monky

hm dont know. But its happaning since i updated mlvfs and there are glitchy thumbnails of the video itself.

anzecokl

I am having same problems with white balance as were described some time ago using Premiere Pro CC. Playing real time no problem, sound is in sync, everything just works, EXCEPT white balance, which is completely off no matter how i set it (awb, any of the presets or manual kelvin input). What am i missing?
Using MLVFS for me at least beats any other workflow!

dmilligan

johannsebastianbach

I'm sorry if this has been asked here before, but is there any chance to open .RAW files with it?
It's the only way for me to shoot 60p (MLV gives out pink frames) and MLVFS is essential if you don't want or can't have double gb for projects  ::) :)

DeafEyeJedi

Perhaps give @Danne's MLP a chance on your Mac if you really want RAW instead of MLV? [emoji6]
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

lanternman

hi guys,

Is there a way to batch import all the MLV clips into PP CC without selecting the first DNG file of every MLV clip? I'm using 6D ML and can only record 6s per clip, hence it would be extremely tedious if I have to import each clip individually.

johannsebastianbach

There is a AE Script to do so. You probably would need to convert your cDNG footage in a editable format like ProRes or dnxhd first anyway: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12422.msg119832#msg119832

dmilligan

a1ex

Cool, looks like it worked with minimal changes.

Samples welcome, especially if the algorithm struggles (either if it fails to fix the pattern noise in some images, or if it actually introduces more stripes).

DeafEyeJedi

Hell Yeah ... Thanks for the update and Prosperous New Years to y'all!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

dmilligan

Quote from: a1ex on January 03, 2016, 08:13:13 PM
Cool, looks like it worked with minimal changes.
All I really had to do was switch the assumed bayer order, but it would be fairly easy to just read the bayer order metadata and adjust accordingly.

Quote from: a1ex on January 03, 2016, 08:13:13 PM
Samples welcome, especially if the algorithm struggles (either if it fails to fix the pattern noise in some images, or if it actually introduces more stripes).
Didn't try to throw anything tough at it, just something simple with really apparent pattern noise so I could just make sure it was actually doing something.

https://bitbucket.org/dmilligan/mlvfs/downloads/52020000_000000_orig.dng
https://bitbucket.org/dmilligan/mlvfs/downloads/52020000_000000.dng

100% crop, ACR, exposure +5 ev

baldavenger

I had a go with some noisy high ISO footage. In this case it introduced horizontal anomalies.

Original:

With Fix Pattern Noise selected:

I tested on the same footage that had a dark frame mlv subtracted via mlv_dump. The dark frame subtraction worked well, but the horizontal anomalies where the same as before once Fix Pattern Noise was selected.

This download contains the 4 dngs:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ai343f6xo7a6zpq/pattern%20noise%20test.zip?dl=0

I hope this can be of some help to you. As always, I really appreciate the great work you're doing :)
EOS 5D Mark III | EOS 600D | Canon 24-105mm f4L | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 50mm f1.4 | Samyang 14mm T3.1 | Opteka 8mm f3.5