MLVFS - a FUSE based, "on the fly" MLV to CDNG converter

Started by dmilligan, August 31, 2014, 02:01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

templar

@dmilligan: great work and cool idea to mount and use the stuff on-the-fly

Do you know how far behind the windows version is?
Has someone actually tested this on windows with Davinci Resolve?

DeafEyeJedi

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

dmilligan

There are two different windows implementations, one written by g3gg0 that uses WebDAV, that is somewhat different from the FUSE version in terms of implementation and features, and one written by Ayshih that uses PFMAP that is similar and has a lot of code in common with the FUSE version. However, they are both rather far behind the FUSE implementation (Mac/Linux version). I think in both cases it's probably been a year since they've been updated.

There is another alternative that is rather complex, and involves running the Linux version of MLVFS in a virtual machine:
http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13152.msg142308#msg142308
http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13152.msg142641#msg142641

bwinter88

Is anyone having trouble with importing with MLVFS? Programs are hanging indefinitely when I try the open file dialog box for browsing the filesystem when an MLVFS disk is mounted. As soon as I eject the image the problem goes away. I've reinstalled MLVFS as well as FUSE. I'm on OSX.

DeafEyeJedi

templar

@dmilligan thanks for your reply: HM, ok I see.
I guess the bottom line is - since I am now running win10 and the win version of the mounting scripts are more than a year old it's not an option anymore for us windows users.

have you heard of any plans to update the mounting sw?

dmilligan

I have no plans to update the Windows version, as I don't own a Windows computer (and don't plan to). This project is open source, so anyone is more than welcome to update it themselves. Ayshih was the one who did the PFMAP version originally. We haven't heard from him in a while...

reddeercity

@Templar , Why don't you use The PC version of mlvfs ?

Install PFMAP
Download mlvfs.dll
Then register the MLV formatter DLL:
pfm register mlvfs.dll
Usage: right-click on an MLV file and select "Quick Mount".

Work great , just doesn't have the fancy web GUI in the Mac version.
I use MLVFS on MAC & PC , mind you if you need chroma smoothing , bad pixel , vertical stripes fix & dual ISO
not sure if PC version as it as I have a 5d2 and don't need any of those extra setting

dfort

I was testing out MLVFS with a camera that has the focus pixel issue with raw video. No problem dealing with this on straight MLV by simply applying Chroma Smoothing 2x2 and turning on Bad Pixel Fix but when I got into dual_iso footage I just couldn't seem to get rid of all the focus pixels. I'm going to resurrect a discussion from a year ago starting here and hopefully someone could shed some light on the current situation.

Quote from: dmilligan@DeafEyeJedi, those look like focus pixels, you need to turn on chroma smoothing to get rid of them. Right now you might get some weird artifacts with chroma smoothing, I need to incorporate it into the correct sequence within cr2hdr stuff. There are also several cr2hdr options that I have not implemented yet. These options, when implemented, should improve image quality greatly, and match the result of the standard cr2hdr.
Quote from: a1exNote that focus pixels with dual ISO are still unsolved, at least in my implementation (didn't try MLVFS yet, but will definitely do it). So try not using both at the same time - I know you can, from your signature :P
Quote from: dmilliganOkay I implemented the chroma smoothing the same way it's in cr2hdr (chroma smooth fullres and halfres before final blending). It helps with the focus pixels, but doesn't remove them completely. If you do the chroma smoothing after cr2hdr is completely finished, the focus pixels are completely gone, but there are strange green blob artifacts.

I haven't updated the binaries yet (I'll wait till some more updates)

DeafEyeJedi

Mehmet Kozal

Canon 650D user. Also, Bilal Fakhouri is a hero.

templar

@reddeercity thanks for the hint, did you test this on win10?

I assume, BSOD mean Blue Screen Of Death...  ;)
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13268.125

dmilligan

@dfort,
One possibility is mapping the focus pixels for each camera and then interpolating out those pixels (rather than just chroma-smoothing the entire image). This might fix the dual ISO / focus pixel issue, IDK. It should be faster than chroma-smoothing, and not have any artifacts. It's a lot of work though, you need to create a focus pixel map for each camera and video mode.

DeafEyeJedi

Sounds like a good plan regardless of how long this will take to make. I'm happy to help, @dfort!

dfort

I think that was the method used by the PinkDotRemover tool. Never could get that tool to work for me.

Danne is also looking into some sort of focus pixel masking or mapping solution.

This is an "interesting" problem because it looks like chroma smoothing removes the focus pixels on non dual_iso raw footage but it doesn't seem to work with dual_iso. I was able to remove the focus pixels in MLVFS on dual_iso footage with the "Bad Pixel Fix" set to "Aggressive" but it also pretty much destroyed the image. The following frame was processed using the cr2hdr Lightroom plugin but the results were the same in MLVFS.

Focus Pixels showing up on EOSM MLV Dual_ISO cropped mode 1280x720

Same frame using --really-bad-pix option ("Bad Pixel Fix" set to "Aggressive" in MLVFS)

reddeercity

Quote from: templar on October 21, 2015, 10:22:46 AM
@reddeercity thanks for the hint, did you test this on win10?
Your welcome,
Yes , and to sure I just Tested it now and no problems.
(Windows 10 Pro on SSD Hyper-X, AMD FX8350-4.9Ghz , 8GB Ram 1600MHz, 2xGTX580-3GB Vram
On Large Files it may take a few minutes so be patient, make sure you are on the fastest drive e.g. SSD or raid etc.....
Quote from: templar on October 21, 2015, 10:22:46 AM
I assume, BSOD mean Blue Screen Of Death...  ;)
Yes ,
MLVFS windows client is not really working well right now , I would just stick with the simple "PFMAP" Version
for Windows 10 .
I wrote a post for Windows 10 + Magic Lantern Raw Video Tools have a look at that so see what supported   

templar

cool, sounds great!

However, AMD processor tz tz tz tz  :)

yeah I do have a SSD. I will test this on my win10 machine with *wonder wonder* including a Intel CPU  8)

dfort

Quote from: dmilligan on October 21, 2015, 03:10:12 PM
@dfort,
One possibility is mapping the focus pixels for each camera and then interpolating out those pixels (rather than just chroma-smoothing the entire image). This might fix the dual ISO / focus pixel issue, IDK. It should be faster than chroma-smoothing, and not have any artifacts. It's a lot of work though, you need to create a focus pixel map for each camera and video mode.

Thanks again dmilligan - I'm taking off with that suggestion!

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16054.msg155923#msg155923

templar

Ok tested on win10 with davinci resolve. Works well.

Thank you! This is brilliant!!

silenttapes

Hey!

I've been searching for information regarding CompressMLV.dmg and its integration into MLVFS:
-it says testing on the 1st post of this page, whats your experience of using it? (i do want to compress for archival and general space saving during project use)
-how much slower is it?
-would you recommend it?

A final unrelated question: has anyone worked out a way to keep your project MLVs only (auto delete unused ones, preferably via davinci)?

Cheers,

iheartbmx

dmilligan

iheartbmx

Quote from: dmilligan on November 08, 2015, 12:36:42 AM
Nowhere. Why?

Well I'm having issues with MLVFS:
-The web GUI fails when I navigate to the folder containing the MLV's
-If I try running MLVFS directly on the folder with MLV's it fails
-The mount on my desktop is acting like an icon and thats about it (clicking it does not bring up a folder)

I thought an older version may fix this issue. I made sure the directory is a blank folder, I tried the previous version of OSXFuse, and I've just upgraded to El Capitan.. but still no luck.

Any help would be much appreciated, Thanks.

dmilligan

Things you can try:

- figure out if it is a specific MLV file that is causing the problem (try mounting various combinations of the MLV files you have, a binary search would narrow it down to a single file the quickest)
- check for crash logs in ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports
- run mlvfs from the command line and send me any output

Also you could be a little more specific about what you mean by 'it fails'. Do you get an error message, does it crash, does it just sit there, what exactly happens. If you have lots of MLV files, or really large ones, it make take a while for mlvfs to index them, so it may sit there for a while until the indexing is finished. You can check the folder with the MLV files in it for .IDX files being created.

iheartbmx

Quote from: dmilligan on November 08, 2015, 02:34:08 AM
Things you can try:

- figure out if it is a specific MLV file that is causing the problem (try mounting various combinations of the MLV files you have, a binary search would narrow it down to a single file the quickest)
- check for crash logs in ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports
- run mlvfs from the command line and send me any output

Also you could be a little more specific about what you mean by 'it fails'. Do you get an error message, does it crash, does it just sit there, what exactly happens. If you have lots of MLV files, or really large ones, it make take a while for mlvfs to index them, so it may sit there for a while until the indexing is finished. You can check the folder with the MLV files in it for .IDX files being created.

Thanks, The web GUI works as normal until I click the folder name containing the MLV's, It brings me to a blank page like I'm not connected to the web.

I have not tried running it from the command line as I'm not familiar with it. I pulled up the log but I'm not sure what to look for (It did say that thread#2 crashed). I copied one MLV to an external drive and ran MLVFS, and that worked fine. My assumption is that I filled the 32gb cf card to the point that MLVFS is not able to write anything else like the index files - is that even possible?.. My second 64gb card (that I didn't fill) worked fine with MLVFS. I should also mention the 32gb card was acting odd and has also done so in the past, and I though it was corrupt. I tried moving all the contents of the card to an external drive and was getting multiple error codes (-36, -43, -1407). Maybe my card is the issue here..? ugh..

I moved all the files to an SSD and then ran it through MLVFS and it worked fine.

Thanks again for all the help!