MLVFS - a FUSE based, "on the fly" MLV to CDNG converter

Started by dmilligan, August 31, 2014, 02:01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeafEyeJedi

*FEEDBACKS*

From my previous post
Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on March 29, 2015, 10:36:06 AM
*update* MLVFS works fine on my Mac Mini but not MBP.

Will look into it some more tmw!

After all, I still don't understand how come MLVFS all of a sudden doesn't work on this MBP (when it previously has with no problems in the past!) still even after deleting all .IDX files...

Strange that even with WebHost not working properly it still spits out 2-3 .IDX files in the Mount Folder but not for all... not sure if noting this would help?

MBP Specs:

Hoping there's something that I may have miss out on solving this issue...

Thanks!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

dmilligan

So, does the mount still work okay? Just the webgui doesn't come up? Can you try running MLVFS from the command line? You can also try using a different port.

DeafEyeJedi

No, the mount does NOT show up on desktop at all on MBP as well as the webgui -- I'll try running MLVFS from command line.

I think you have the directions on how to use Command Line on your first post, correct?

Thanks!

eriklieders

Hi all! I have the strange problem... I made some changes with cDNG sequence in ACR After Effects, BUT! I cant see any changes with any frames in Virtual folder (mlv folder). I want to make Color Correction in AE, then unmount and edit corrected MLV video through direct import (with Drastic help) in Premiere with color corrected frames. What im doing wrong? Why i cant see any ACR changes (1st frame) in windows explorer (or when i use ACDSEE). Adobe dng codec 2.0 is installed...

Windows 8.1 64. Thanks a lot!

dmilligan

ACR tries to write it's settings into the DNGs as metadata or into sidecar xmp files. The mount is going to be read only, so that won't work. I've added support for allowing things to write files in the mount in the Mac/Linux version, so ACR can create and save its xmp sidecar files. But the Windows version is way behind and it may not even be technically possible to implement something like that.

eriklieders

But i thought ACR uses database or xmp. I switched to DB. It must be not write any data to dng

Frank7D

The windows/pismo file mount version of MLVFS does allow xmp sidecar files to be saved (in .MLD folders), so your ACR changes will be saved.
However, programs other than ACR may not be able to read these files.
Here's a thread with an overview of one possible workflow: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13354.0

eriklieders

I dont know how, but previously (before reinstall os) all changes were in 1st dng file. With xmp... Its good, but for why i need it? I cant apply xmp to mlv without mounting. I just want to colorize mlv with ACR and work without recoding to Intermediate format (mxf, prores e.t.c). 1. Edit with arc (wb). 2. Edit corrected mlv direct in premiere. Is it possible?

Frank7D

I don't know how you can colorize the mlv with ACR and then edit it without mounting it. I think if you're using ACR you need to transcode to something else in order to keep the color. You can edit mlv (mounted to virtual CDNGs) directly in Premiere CC but then you can't use ACR (I believe).

dmilligan

Yeah, sorry I misread the original question. You cannot use ACR settings with anything other than ACR. Premiere will not apply ACR settings, because Premiere uses a different raw engine that is not ACR. And MLVFS is certainly not capable of applying ACR settings back into a MLV file (which is impossible anyway). If you want to use ACR, you must render out to an intermediate format from either AE or photoshop (something that uses ACR).

eriklieders

With a help of Drastic software i can direct edit mlv without transcoding. But the question is - how to colorize dng inside mlv and get the corrected video even after unmount? I mean mlv video must be colorized after manipulations with dng inside. All we need - to have abilities to write dngs. This workflow can save 80% of time...
Edited: somehow couple month ago i got working changes in mlv mounted folder (i changed color and exposure). First frame was exactly like i made in ACR. ...Confused....

Frank7D

I don't use Adobe CC so not sure if this would work, but have you tried:

1. Mount MLV with MLVFS.
2. Edit (virtual) CDNG sequences in Premiere CC, then save project.
3. Open Premiere project in After Effects CC, then do a "replace footage" for each clip so that they open in ACR, where you can color them.

This would mean coloring the footage after it is edited, rather than before.
And once you're in After Effects, you can do a lot of other cool stuff too, of course.

eriklieders

... For each clip... Its about 9500 clips... (7 lovestorys and 2 wedding videos + 2 music videos)... Thats why i need more easy and faster workflow... Or buy raw camcorder :(

Ok, anyway, thank you for the tips!

Frank7D

But...you still have to color every individual clip if you use ACR, no matter how you do it.

eriklieders

Yes. But without transcoding. It saves a lot of time.

Frank7D

If my 3-step proposed workflow works (and I don't know for sure that it does) then there is no transcoding involved.

dmilligan

Quote from: eriklieders on April 04, 2015, 06:27:10 AM
But the question is - how to colorize dng inside mlv and get the corrected video even after unmount?
Impossible. As I have already stated. You cannot apply ACR settings back into an MLV file. MLVFS gives the impression that an MLV file is just composed of a bunch of DNGs. That is not the case. MLVFS transcodes from the MLV format to DNG on the fly, making it appear like there are just a bunch of DNGs inside. There are not actually a bunch of DNGs inside. The MLV format does not support any sort of method of storing ACR metadata inside.

I don't really know anything about how exactly drastic's software works, but I don't think it uses ACR, so even if you could put ACR metadata inside an MLV file (which you can't), your plugin wouldn't be able to use it anyway.

Like I said previously, the only software capable of applying ACR settings is ACR itself. So if you want to use ACR, you HAVE to transcode out of AE. There is no way around this.

If this is too slow, then I suggest dropping ACR from your workflow. It is not intended for video anyway, and there are much better tools out there for video CC, that are actually intended for that purpose.

DeafEyeJedi

MLVFS > AE (ACR) > NLE (FCPX, PP, etc) does your body good!

@eriklieders: you can try saving a preset (.xmp file) with your first file and then just paste them for the remaining files within ACR via AE.

(if you keep the exposure/WB the same during a shoot which you normally should when possible) then this workflow should suit you well enough.

Ottoga

For those of us using the PISMO file mount utility in Windows for our MLVS files:  It works fine for normal MLVS videos but won't mount/open an MLVS file created via FRSP Silent_Pics.
EOS 7D.203, EFS 55-250mm, EF 75-300 III, Tamron 16-300 DiII VC PZD Macro, SpeedLite 580EX II.

chmee

[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

dmilligan

Thanks chmee.

@Ottoga,
Yeah the Windows port is pretty far behind because there's no developer with Windows that is keeping it up to date. The Mac/Linux version was fixed to work with FRSP a while ago.

Ottoga

@dmilligan

I have an old Pentium 3 at home. Might have to dust it off and make a Linux box out of it. (slightly off topic.... any recommended distro?)

The good news for now is that I managed to extract the DNG's using MLV_Dump.
EOS 7D.203, EFS 55-250mm, EF 75-300 III, Tamron 16-300 DiII VC PZD Macro, SpeedLite 580EX II.

dmilligan

I sort of doubt a pentium 3 could handle MLVFS, esp. the full res stuff (just 1080p24 on my 2ghz core i5 uses 60-70% cpu). You would have much better performance with a VM. There are some descriptions of setting this up a couple pages back in this thread.

Ottoga

@dmilligan,

Thanks.  I'll look into the vm option. never set one up before, so a first time for everything.