MLVFS - a FUSE based, "on the fly" MLV to CDNG converter

Started by dmilligan, August 31, 2014, 02:01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmilligan

If the mount disappears, that means MLVFS crashed. There should be a log in ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports. Or you can look in the 'Console.app' (located in Applications/Utilities).

Please send the log.

dmilligan

Quote from: N/A on March 17, 2015, 09:41:11 PM
Any way to add an option to webgui to disable gif previews?
Done. Previews don't load until you click "Load" (or unless you click on a specific MLV file).

DeafEyeJedi

Thanks for the Great feature modification regarding previews @dmilligan!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

N/A

Quote from: dmilligan on March 21, 2015, 08:28:45 PM
Done. Previews don't load until you click "Load" (or unless you click on a specific MLV file).
Awesome, thank you. Got a shoot next weekend 5 hours away from home, having a fast, stable and reliable program like MLVFS is a lifesaver. Much appreciated.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

Danne

Hey David. Been researching a little on color matrix stuff. Question. I see forward matrix 1 and 2 are static for 5d mark 3. Where did you get these numbers? Also, how can numbers for other cams be found?
ah, see them now, part of the dng.c structure. Thanks!

WOuld you know if the model tags are the same in metadata as for "Canon 5d mark 3"? "Canon Eos 7D" and so on? Plan on implementing with exiftool but of course don,t have all the cameras in my possession. Need to differ them accordingly with camera name.

dmilligan

Andy600 pulled them from Adobe DNG converter. All you need to do is run a DNG through Adobe DNG converter without those tags and it will add them. Though, you really don't even need to do that, they're all hard-coded in the MLVFS source code.

Danne

Yeah, I got them from looking at your file. Your workflow is benchmark, still I got my own little cr2hdr-r project going on so would like to test some stuff out.

dmilligan

TKF Productions

I'm trying to convert the .mlv file to something useable.  I downloaded the FUSE MLV to cDNG converter and everything worked fine and I got the DNG files, however, when I tried to import them into After Effects I get the following error:

"After Effects error: the file format module could not parse the file. ( 45 :: 35 )

Anybody know how to fix this or how to get the .MLV files properly converted?

DeafEyeJedi

Just downloaded and updated to the latest MLVFS -- after selecting a mount folder on desktop and once the web host site opens up it says "Local Host not found" I've seen this issue before but don't remember how to get around it? (I've tried both Safari and Firefox)

I tried restarting MBP and reinstalled MLVFS to no avail as well as deleting .IDX files... any suggestions?

*edit*

Tried again after hard reboot (not sure if I needed to do this on MBP) but it kind of helped a little... once the web host shows up with proper details but the mount folder doesn't get 'mounted' for some reason?

hence the 'Mount Folder' highlighted on the desktop screen behind it... strange?

DeafEyeJedi

*update* MLVFS works fine on my Mac Mini but not MBP.

Will look into it some more tmw!

dmilligan

DeafEyeJedi

Regarding AE (SmartImport2) with MLVFS... (I set the project as 25fps but then when I try to render them it says 30fps and I have to manually custom the FPS to 25 for each before I export in AE -- is this normal?)

https://vimeo.com/123651925

dmilligan

I'm not familiar with that script, but seems to me like it would be an issue with the script not MLVFS.

DeafEyeJedi

@Frank7D:

Thanks for the inputs. Will look into it.

@dmilligan:

so you wouldn't recommend using MLVFS and AE together then? (even without the SmartImport2 -- MLVFS alone won't bring Audio in AE, right?)

Frank7D

MLVFS can be used with AE and will have audio; it's easy if you use the script. That's what I do.

DeafEyeJedi

You speaking of the SmartImport2 script?

Then how come the audio seems strange in this footage I put together after rendering them in AE within MLVFS?

Holden's Key

TKF Productions

Quote from: dmilligan on March 29, 2015, 08:14:39 PM
@TKF Productions,
Can you send me a sample file?

Thanks for offering to take a look.  I will send you a sample file tonight.  What would be the best way to send to you (doesn't looks like I can attach a file through PM)?  Also, do you just want one of the DNG files?

Frank7D

DeafEyeJedi,

I'm not at a place where I can listen to the audio right now. Can you describe the issue? Actually, maybe we should have this discussion here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12422.msg119832#msg119832

dmilligan

@TKF Productions,
Any file sharing service like dropbox, google drive, etc. I might could diagnose the issue from just a DNG, but I might need to have an actual MLV, and it will make things faster anyway. It can a short/small as you like as long as it exhibits the issue.

anderSF

Hi!

I'm having a problem with MLVFS where footage shot with a shutter speed of 1/100 (at night, with tungsten lighting) shows up in ACR as 1/110. This seems to cause flicker in the shot, weirdly enough. One should think as long as the footage was actually shot at 1/100, the metadata shouldn't matter.... But that does not seem to be the case, because when I conform the shots through MlRawViewer (which reads the shutter speed correctly), they come out flicker free.

Any ideas?

PS: I'm not doing highlight-adjustments or anything like that in ACR. Nothing that could cause flicker.

dmilligan

ACR can cause flicker on it's own, without any adjustments. I really doubt it's the metadata. If you want to test it, you can copy the DNGs out of the mount and change the metadata with exiftool.

I'd also be interested to see the output of exiftool -v for DNGs from MLVFS vs. MlRawViewer, to figure out why it's 1/110 instead of 1/100. The output of mlv_dump -v would be helpful too.

anderSF

Thanks for the quick reply! But I haven't really used any non-GUI software before, so I would have to look into that first....

dmilligan

okay, then just send me DNGs from both, and/or the mlv file