MLVFS - a FUSE based, "on the fly" MLV to CDNG converter

Started by dmilligan, August 31, 2014, 02:01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arrinkiiii

Thank you guys, i will try the VMware in my PC =)) 

Two days a go i bought one MackBook Pro, second hand, dual-core processor, do you guys think is ok for the MLVFS  or is to old/slow ?? 

Thanks for all  :)

dmilligan

The speed of your storage media is much more important than CPU specs, when it comes to MLVFS. If it's a SSD then you should be good. I get realtime performance on a 2012 macbook air as long as I use a SSD. (MLVFS typically only uses around 30-70% of one core).

A separate consideration is the ability of the computer in regards to your NLE. Typically you'll need a decent GPU for realtime playback of raw material. You didn't specify how old your MBP is, so no way to know the specs. Your NLE will be much more demanding than MLVFS (MLVFS's job is pretty easy, all the real "work" it does is bit-unpacking).

arrinkiiii

Thanks dmilligan, its the first time that i got mac... don't no sh** abou this but im learning. I must say that i bought this because i want to try the MLVFS. It don't have SSD but i will get one and change it.

My MBP is:

-HDD -> will change for SSD
-4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 -> will change for 8GB
-NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB
-2,4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo   (will change for i5 or i7 one day lol )

I use Premiere, do you think with the extra memory (8GB total) plus the SSD i will get realtime playback in premiere?

dubzeebass

I've had to stop using this program because the drive disappears when I try to read the files in Resolve, though the mount points still shows up on my desktop. When I try to open it nothing is there, if I restart my iMac and then reload MLVFS it will work for a bit but then I'll try and view the files in the folder again and it will stop working. The only thing that works for a while is uninstalling OS X fuse and reinstalling it and then it stops working again after some short time. What logs do you need to troubleshoot?

dmilligan

If you open up the "Console" app, on the left side there's a section "User Diagnostic Reports", there should be mlfvs crash reports there. Also, you can just go to ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports

DeafEyeJedi

Congrats to @arrinkiiii for jumping onto the Mac Wagon. You'll never regret it!

As for the SSD -- it was rather easy to DIY on swapping HDD for SSD by watching YouTube videos online as I did with my 2006 MBP (upgraded to 360GB SSD as well 8GB memory ram) in which definitely made a difference and worth the effort! It also played a role in using MLVFS because I couldn't get smooth playback with the original specs in this particular MBP.

SSD have also gotten cheaper in prices lately respectively. Just make sure you have the proper tools as I had to get these in order to swap them properly. Most usually come with Clone-adapter Cable Kit.

Have fun! [emoji106]
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

arrinkiiii

Thanks  DeafEyeJedi =DD Yes, i saw it in youtube, also you can have 2 disks, removing the cd-rom and use a caddy for other disk, it will be more slow than the main one but it's good for data/stuff. Need money  :P

-Clone adapter cable? For cloning the disk? i Think will install all again =))

With your BMP (ssd + 8gb) can't you have real play in Premiere?

vertigopix

QuoteDo I understand it right that this is a solution for windows users to use the latest update of dmilligan? If this is the case could you please provide a more detailed step by step guidance for users. What I mean is: does your solution needs linux or just windows... How do I setup Flexshare?

Sorry if this question seems to be a little stupid but I am a user and not a very skilled programmer.

Thanks in advance

Sorry to be late to answer,

ClearOS is a SOHO linux server. I use it for my backup, dlna, vpn server, and so on.
With this distro, it's possible to install fuse and to compile mlvfs without problems.
Flexshare is a file sharing system included in ClearOS (http://www.clearcenter.com/support/documentation/user_guide/flexshare)

You can install it on a small pc or a VM like VirtualBox. I have tried the same (without Flexshare) in Xubuntu 14.04 with success.

So learn to install linux in a VM (it's easy !) and i can help you with mlvfs.

Tips : VM : https://www.virtualbox.org/ Xubuntu : http://xubuntu.org/getxubuntu/

mario1000

Quote from: vertigopix on March 16, 2015, 03:54:37 PM
Sorry to be late to answer,

ClearOS is a SOHO linux server. I use it for my backup, dlna, vpn server, and so on.
With this distro, it's possible to install fuse and to compile mlvfs without problems.
Flexshare is a file sharing system included in ClearOS (http://www.clearcenter.com/support/documentation/user_guide/flexshare)

You can install it on a small pc or a VM like VirtualBox. I have tried the same (without Flexshare) in Xubuntu 14.04 with success.

So learn to install linux in a VM (it's easy !) and i can help you with mlvfs.

Tips : VM : https://www.virtualbox.org/ Xubuntu : http://xubuntu.org/getxubuntu/

Hi vertigopix,

thank you very much up to this point. I downloaded and installed VM and Xubuntu as you have suggested and everthing runs without any problem. What are the next steps to install mlvfs?

Thanks in advance!

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: dmilligan on March 14, 2015, 02:22:35 PM
I'm not completely sure what you are asking. When I have time, I'll look into the dual ISO issue and see if I can duplicate it (I don't use dual ISO very much)

Here's to what I was referring to earlier regarding Dual-ISO (and regular MLV as well) showing pinkish effect after being exported.

MLVFS:

Dual-ISO MLV (Dual-ISO + cxs 2x2 enabled ON) via MLVFS > PP:
https://vimeo.com/122361687

Dual-ISO MLV (@Danne's cr2hdr-r ):
https://vimeo.com/122219543

Non-Dual-ISO MLVFS > PP:
https://vimeo.com/122361688

Non-Dual-ISO MLVFS > AE (graded w ACR):
https://vimeo.com/122363848

dmilligan

I can't reproduce. My dual ISO clips look fine in Premiere. Does it only happen when you export? (Do they look correct just viewing them?) Can you share the original MLV file for a short clip that exhibits the problem.

marekk

@dmilligan - is there a possibility to add option to preload some number of frames not only from current file but also from next available file ?

dmilligan

how would mlvfs be able to figure out what the "next" file is?

marekk

In current version there is an option to preload some frames. When I add all MLV files to Resolve timeline for grading and exporting to prores current CDNG is played smoothly. At the beginning of next file there is a 1-2 seconds period of interruption. So.. when MLVFS is currently working with FILE_1.MLV, we can preload some frames from FILE_2.MLV. Switch from FILE_1.MLV to FILE_2.MLV can be done smoothly. It will work only if files in timeline are sorted by name.

dmilligan

Quote from: marekk on March 17, 2015, 04:08:41 PM
there is a 1-2 seconds period of interruption
There must be something else going on, and I don't think what you are asking for will help the situation. Processing a frame should be on the order of 40ms (or less for realtime playback), so if it's taking 1-2 seconds, there's something else going on, that pre-fetching is not going to help. The solution is to figure out what is actually causing the delay, and fixing that.

The pre-fetch is really only useful for when heavy processing options (read: dual ISO) are enabled so that more CPU cores can be utilized. It can actually hurt performance, esp. if you use too high of a number of frames. If you're not at 100% CPU utilization for MLVFS for a single core, then I wouldn't use it at all, it's likely to only make things worse.

N/A

Any way to add an option to webgui to disable gif previews? It's not too bad when there are less than 50 GB of MLV's to preview, but working with 100+ GB of MLV's and a not-so-powerful gpu can slow things down pretty significantly.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

DeafEyeJedi

@N/A: That's a Great idea regarding disabling gif previews!

@dmilligan: Here's the Dual-ISO MLV file from 5D3 per your request.

MLV

vertigopix

@mario1000

Open Terminal Emulator and type :

sudo apt-get install git
sudo apt-get install libfuse-dev

git clone https://bitbucket.org/dmilligan/mlvfs

cd mlvfs
cd mlvfs   (yes, 2 times !)

make clean
make

sudo cp mlvfs /usr/bin

Create the fuse.conf file and add the 'user_allow_other' value into it

echo "user_allow_other" | sudo tee -a /etc/fuse.conf

If everything is ok, you can create 2 folders (eg. mlv-in and mlv-out)

mkdir /home/<YOUR_NAME_HERE>/mlv-in
mkdir /home/<YOUR_NAME_HERE>/mlv-out

and now, you can launch mlvfs !

mlvfs -f /home/<YOUR_NAME_HERE>/mlv-out --mlv_dir=/home/<YOUR_NAME_HERE>/mlv-in -o allow_other

Don't close the terminal, open a browser and type : 'http://127.0.0.1:8000'

Magic as a lantern !  :)

mario1000

vertigopix

and when a new version exist, go to mlvfs base directory and type
git pull

after this
make clean
make

And you can copy the new version to /usr/bin (you need to kill the process before updating)

How to kill  ;)
ps -e | grep mlvfs
sudo kill <process number>

dmilligan

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on March 18, 2015, 02:28:23 AM
@dmilligan: Here's the Dual-ISO MLV file from 5D3 per your request
Thanks, I do see some issues, not sure what the cause is yet, will have to investigate further.

Quote from: vertigopix on March 18, 2015, 02:23:31 PM
How to kill  ;)
ps -e | grep mlvfs
sudo kill <process number>

A better way would be

sudo fusermount -u /home/<YOUR_NAME_HERE>/mlv-out

vertigopix

arrinkiiii

I must write this... One week ago i bought 2nd hand MacBook Pro  dual-core, five days ago i have change for a 2nd hand MBP i5, from my girlfriend lol, since she just use it for internet, email, etc... 

I thought that being an i5 and a Mac it would have a disk that work at 7200rpm but no, it come with a 5400rpm, cant understand why they didn't do that... for a small extra of money you could have a better disk, at least 7200rpm.

I format the disk that have, 500GB and made a partition, so 2 x 250GB. Install Yosemite OS OXFUSE and MLVFS, also Adobe CC and an CUDA 5.0 drive for work good with adobe.

Put some ML files in a folder on the disk, Ctrl+Click and chose MLVFS for that folder. In that moment it prompt to chose one folder where he will release/convert the ML files to DNG's. Immediately he open a web page with the settings that you want to change.The end!!!  So simple as that. Im amazing!!! 

I threw some DNG's to Premiere and it works good. In my MBP it skip some, a few... frames. For sure that is because of the 5400rpm disk.

Just my thoughts: Wend im in the web page it would be better if the previews didn't star automatically. It's possible to have bigger view of the preview windows? Yes, you can. Just click in the file name of the MLV and you got all the meta data regarding that file and with bigger preview window. Neat =)

I think this app is just for sidemont/convert the ML files and use it with Premiere, Resolve, etc... but would be good if could convert for ProRes and with a LUT of chose. I use MlViewer and i love it, i think each one of them have there one way/purpose of working with MLV's. I like to work with DNG's but for some works ProRes is more then fine.

Saying this, i need to get one SSD and more memory to my MBP lol  Going to read this threat all again for see if i miss something.

Resume: It works good with Premiere. Thans for this =))

DeafEyeJedi

johnwangphoto

After I converted MLV files with MLVFS the dng files are only available in the MLVFS Mount folder for a little while then they all disappear so i have to do the conversion again. Is it normal?