MLVFS - a FUSE based, "on the fly" MLV to CDNG converter

Started by dmilligan, August 31, 2014, 02:01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmilligan

DeafEyeJedi

Thanks @dmilligan for the quick follow up on the update -- will check as soon as I get home from work.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Danne

Thanks dmilligan for fine work. I havn,t really tested dual iso lately but will in time.
Curious about cdng implementation. Answer if you like. Curious how and where to look for recoding cr2hdr20bit to create cdng files. How is it done?
Shortcut question. Would it be possible to get some kind of mac binary of the cr2dr20bit from you with your code implemented or is this fuse workflow a totally different beast? Like to use it in cr2hdr-r workflow if possible.

DeafEyeJedi

This is purely a genius type of an idea...

This definitely would be a nice addition as well...

:D

dmilligan

Best way would be to rewrite chdk_dng.c (which is used by ML itself, cr2hdr, raw2dng, and mlv_dump) using code from MLVFS's dng.c

Danne

What a challenge. Thanks for pointers. I, ll see where it takes me.Thanks

reddeercity

Final got around to Trying "MLVFS"  It seem to work very well so far, maybe its because I have a PC Video card in my Mac but I have pink cast image
in finder, but Looks OK in After Effect with ACR  ::)
I'm on maverick 10.9.3 with a GTX760 video card ,I will post a image tomorrow. 
I can see how this will greatly speed up A.E. workflow.
Thanks for the great work on "MLVFS" :D

Audionut

Known issue.  The finder uses an fixed black level.

bwinter88

Hi,
the web interface at http://localhost:8000 is not working for me. I've tried restarting after installing but it is hung up on "waiting for localhost" indefinitely in firefox, chrome and safari. The FUSE disk mounts, but there are no files inside.

Edit: just realized it's still busy unpacking the mlvs and creating idx files. I will wait until it is finished and see if the webpage is accessible then.

edit 2--just finished, looks like it's all working fine.

Is there by chance the possibility of implementing a function that will fix the aspect ratio for slo-mo clips?

Also, is there a way to make these volumes searchable by Spotlight? Right now Spotlight can't see them, I think it's a permissions issue.

Ottoga

Not sure if this has been mentioned but the latest version of PFMAP-171-win works fine in W8.1 (64bit) for .mlv files.  It doesn't/can't? successfully mount any .M00, M01 etc files.

All the files that I've tested with didn't have any embedded sound so I don't know if it works with an MLV with Audio file. Something to try another day and report the outcome.
EOS 7D.203, EFS 55-250mm, EF 75-300 III, Tamron 16-300 DiII VC PZD Macro, SpeedLite 580EX II.

arrinkiiii

Will ayshih implement the other stuff on the windows version, like strips correction?  Im having problems with g3gg0 windows version... empty folders =(

dmilligan

Quote from: bwinter88 on December 18, 2014, 04:14:36 AM
Is there by chance the possibility of implementing a function that will fix the aspect ratio for slo-mo clips?
If only the DNG spec supported a "pixel aspect ratio". It doesn't, so there's basically no way to do it. Re-scaling must be done after demosaicing, so for now you'll have to do the stretch manually in your NLE.

Side Note: It's very strange to me that Adobe would not have support for this in the DNG spec. It would also be very useful for anamorphic lenses.

Quote from: bwinter88 on December 18, 2014, 04:14:36 AM
Also, is there a way to make these volumes searchable by Spotlight? Right now Spotlight can't see them, I think it's a permissions issue.
Probably not, if it doesn't work like it is now. Certain folders pretty much have to remain read only.
Using ls and grep works pretty well though (and regular expressions are way better for searching if you know how to use them, also if you don't like Apple to know about everything you search for):
ls -R | grep "search expression"

Quote from: arrinkiiii on December 18, 2014, 04:32:35 PM
Will ayshih implement the other stuff on the windows version, like strips correction?  Im having problems with g3gg0 windows version... empty folders =(
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13152.msg133827#msg133827

bwinter88

Quote from: dmilliganQuote from: bwinter88 on Today at 04:14:36 AM
Quote from: bwinter88Also, is there a way to make these volumes searchable by Spotlight? Right now Spotlight can't see them, I think it's a permissions issue.
Probably not, if it doesn't work like it is now. Certain folders pretty much have to remain read only.
Using ls and grep works pretty well though (and regular expressions are way better for searching if you know how to use them, also if you don't like Apple to know about everything you search for):
ls -R | grep "search expression"

Thanks for the reply. I've read that to enable Spotlight on FUSE volumes you can use something called the "allow_other" option at mount. I won't pretend to understand FUSE or coding at all but what do you think? would it be possible to add this without affecting anything?

arrinkiiii

Thanks dmilligan =)    Today i have read the whole post and see that but since it's from 14 of November... Hope ayshih can continuous this app for windows. 

N/A

Tried this on my MacBook a couple months ago and couldn't get it working at all. I installed it again last night on my iMac and everything worked fine, right from the start. Going to try it again on the MacBook tonight or tomorrow and see if it was a technical issue, or just a user malfunction  ;)
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

DeafEyeJedi

Will try this converter again on a new Mac mini that is supposed to arrive tomorrow -- should be quicker than my current 2006 MBP.

dmilligan

Quote from: bwinter88 on December 18, 2014, 06:08:24 PM
Thanks for the reply. I've read that to enable Spotlight on FUSE volumes you can use something called the "allow_other" option at mount. I won't pretend to understand FUSE or coding at all but what do you think? would it be possible to add this without affecting anything?
Simply pass the FUSE options you want when you start MLVFS, it will recognize them.

I have also updated the automator workflow to use the necessary options (-o allow_other -o local). So MLVFS will now show up as a 'local' drive (hopefully this won't cause any issues, there's a warning against doing this on the OSXFUSE FAQ, so let me know), and spotlight search should work (I found you actually need both of these for spotlight to work). I also figured out how to make the name show up different in the Finder. So it's no longer "OSXFUSE ....", but it will simply keep the name of the mount directory and have "(MLVFS Mount)" at the end.

N/A

So far, so good. The local drive is a nice feature, running fine now on my MacBook too. One thing though, did I miss the detail or does this not support .raw, only .mlv?

dmilligan

MLV only. I want to discourage people from using RAW format. There's very vital metadata missing amongst other things.

N/A

Ahh, I see. Had some .raw's from right after raw video was first developed to see how much nicer the converters are now. And then I spent 5 hours looking at different ways to edit and save exif/xmp information so that the .dng's would be universally compatible .   ::)

DeafEyeJedi

@Danne -- just got my mac mini installed and upgraded with two 8gb of RAM (16gb total) along with a 360gb SSD. Looking forward to your cdng implementation test in the near future I hope.

Can't wait to test out MLVFS on this tiny beast...

Hopefully it won't get too HOT!

::)

swinxx

@dmilligan:
hello, so 2 days ago you commited a silent service update :)
nice. thank you.

great.
greets sw

N/A

Expanding on my previous post about exif metadata, most, if not all, video/image editing programs claim to be able to interpret exif/xmp data but it seems like there are so many exif tags for most of the current digital cinema cameras that our poor little ML Raw files aren't supported very well.
ACR does a great job of adding and interpreting exif, so my idea was to open the mounted .dng's in Bridge ACR, make my adjustments, save the exif/xmp to the images and then import into Resolve or FCPX to skip the transcoding and get the best Raw processing possible. Bridge wouldn't write new exif/xmp to the images or the camera raw database for some reason (parsing error), so is there another way to go about this? I looked into .MXF files but haven't tried them yet.
On another note, Black Magic is developing a CDNG wrapper so that quicktime plays the files natively, hopefully that's something we can have implemented as well.

dmilligan

Quote from: N/A on December 22, 2014, 03:52:39 AM
then import into Resolve or FCPX to skip the transcoding and get the best Raw processing possible.
What kind of stuff are you trying to add, that makes Resolve or FCPX work better? The CDNGs from MLVFS should already have all the necessary metadata to open correctly. Thanks to Andy600, all the color calibration matrices from Adobe are also now included. AFAIK, the vast majority of XMP data is ACR specific. XMP is really just an XML schema that Adobe uses to store non-destructive raw adjustments (i.e. the values of ACR sliders). You can also put EXIF tags/info and various other stuff in the XMP format, but there's no reason to, because you can put EXIF tags as IFD entries (TIFF headers) directly into the DNG.

N/A

Color management. Compatibility. A thorough record of information for archiving, transcoding and sharing footage across programs, platforms and OS's. I've always transcoded to Prores before editing but since MLVFS makes it so much quicker to access the dng's, a raw workflow makes more sense now.

I'm not saying that the files lack anything, just offering a different perspective. I have a decade of audio experience but I've only been shooting and editing a few years. I want my mix and master files to sound clean, full and powerful on any speaker or program its played back with, and I've found that video files can be wildly unpredictable. Basically, a universal wrapper or data file.

Just a "bigger picture" point of view, really.