MLVFS - a FUSE based, "on the fly" MLV to CDNG converter

Started by dmilligan, August 31, 2014, 02:01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennyray1

Thank you sir, I was simply trying it on the file its self, it had been a while since I used it and forgot to click on the folder and not the file...thank you very much, working like a charm sir..thank you for the update, everything is working perfect sir.

silvertonesx24

Would it be possible to integrate this workflow with split files- like M00, M01, M02, etc?

dmilligan

Should already be working with split files automatically no problem (and has been since very early on)

swinxx

hello dmilligan:

i just wanna report that your tool rocks. everything works as expected and better :)
no problems so far, the only thing which would make it better would be a possibility to save my preferences..

e.g.: i would like to always have davinci and vertical stripes correction turned on :)
is that possible?

thx. swinxx

dmilligan

You can modify the automator service and add command line options. Open the MLVFS.workflow with Automator and add options in the "Run Shell Script". So you would change the default:

nohup ~/Library/Services/MLVFS.workflow/Contents/mlvfs "$2" --mlv_dir="$1" -f > /dev/null 2>&1 &

to add whatever options you want after the -f:

nohup ~/Library/Services/MLVFS.workflow/Contents/mlvfs "$2" --mlv_dir="$1" -f --resolve-naming --stripes > /dev/null 2>&1 &

here's the complete list of options (in main.c):

static const struct fuse_opt mlvfs_opts[] =
{
    { "--mlv_dir=%s", offsetof(struct mlvfs, mlv_path), 0 },
    { "--port=%s", offsetof(struct mlvfs, port), 0 },
    { "--resolve-naming", offsetof(struct mlvfs, name_scheme), 1 },
    { "--cs2x2", offsetof(struct mlvfs, chroma_smooth), 2 },
    { "--cs3x3", offsetof(struct mlvfs, chroma_smooth), 3 },
    { "--cs5x5", offsetof(struct mlvfs, chroma_smooth), 5 },
    { "--bad-pix", offsetof(struct mlvfs, fix_bad_pixels), 1 },
    { "--really-bad-pix", offsetof(struct mlvfs, fix_bad_pixels), 2 },
    { "--stripes", offsetof(struct mlvfs, fix_stripes), 1 },
    { "--dual-iso-preview", offsetof(struct mlvfs, dual_iso), 1 },
    { "--dual-iso", offsetof(struct mlvfs, dual_iso), 2 },
    { "--amaze-edge", offsetof(struct mlvfs, hdr_interpolation_method), 0 },
    { "--mean32", offsetof(struct mlvfs, hdr_interpolation_method), 1 },
    { "--no-alias-map", offsetof(struct mlvfs, hdr_no_alias_map), 1 },
    { "--alias-map", offsetof(struct mlvfs, hdr_no_alias_map), 0 },
    FUSE_OPT_END
};

swinxx

mageye

I feel pretty dumb :( ::). I'm getting the same problem as I got some time ago (http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13152.msg129070#msg129070) where you go through the normal procedure of mounting the the MLV folder and assigning mount point.

Then it appears to have mounted the folder and shows the server on local host etc. But as soon as I click on the folder it it disappears into the ether? Also the mount point folder disappears?

This is with the latest MLVFS from the first page here. Running on Mavericks 10.9.5 with FUSE for OSX 2.7.2

Could you be so kind as to tell me where I am going wrong? It's probably something I am doing. Also is it likely that Paragon NTFS for Mac could, in any way, interfere  with this?

I apologise for my stupidity! :D
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

dmilligan

If the mount disappears, that means MLVFS crashed. Perhaps it's a particular MLV file that it's having trouble with. Can you try and narrow it down some? If you can't, I can work on a version that logs some diagnostic info to a file so we can figure out why it's crashing.

mageye

Thanks for the reply. :)

Well first I thought that I should get rid of the *.idx and *.MLD files from the folder so as to allow these to be rebuilt if necessary. So I tried with a folder with lots of *.MLV files and when I mounted it rebuilt the *.idx files.

After that I went to browse and I get the same problem :(.

So I decided to try it with another folder with just a few *.MLV files contained. Unfortunately the same again. :( ???

Yes I think perhaps a way of logging this would be useful to see what's going on here?

EDIT: I found some crash logs for MLVFS in folder /Users/[USERNAME]/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/

Do these help?

https://mega.co.nz/#!MoMxGBab!4-4a_ffgtY1T5I9uW25X3spt-TF8C2K5ZxXv52vbqa0
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

dmilligan

Thanks, the crash log is very helpful. The issue appears to be related to some file path. What is the exact path to the directory you are trying to mount (is the full path really long)? Also, could you please type the following in the terminal:

ls -la /path/to/your/mlv/folder/

and send me the output[/code]

mageye

OK I don't have a particularly long and convoluted path it's: /Volumes/Storage2.5TB/Media/MLV/ (in fact quite logical I think!)

Anyway here's the output from the terminal:

https://mega.co.nz/#!8wFhlRpJ!Ogjh0zzojGIspGFOBjcjc_dDFQGSx-bksllsRgew_jc

dmilligan

Might have something to do with the "." in your file path. Try a source path that doesn't have a dot in it. Doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the files themselves, but there are a whole lot of them. If it is an issue with a particular file there's no way to know which one. Try with just one file in a clean directory with no dots in any of the source paths. I think I've found and fixed the issue but I just want to make sure it is in fact the dot that's causing the problems.

mageye

Well aint that interesting!

I just dropped the dot from the drive name and now it's staying mounted and appears to be working. Thank you for your time on this! :D

Anyway why I think it's interesting is that my drive has been called that for some time now and I haven't had that problem before? (apart from the one time I mentioned ::)).

Also, yes there are lots of files in there, but that's not been a problem before either? I did try earlier with just a few of those copied to a folder and I got the same thing, so it wasn't to do with the amount or crappy files.

But what is good is that it works finally! ;D :D

So thanks again. I owe you a beer ;)

dmilligan

Okay I uploaded a new version, it should handle dots in the file path properly and also very long filenames (even though that doesn't seem to be the issue here). Please let me know if it works.

epyonxero

I just went to give this app a try on my Mac running Yosemite. Installed FUSE and created a new, empty folder on my desktop to be the container. When I select the folder containing MLV files the folder becomes a FUSE drive and my browser tries to open the LocalHost but the browser window fails and the FUSE drive is empty.

dmilligan

Sounds like maybe you did it backwards. Right click on the folder with MLV files in it and run the service, when the dialog pops up to select a folder, pick an empty one to be the mount point.

swinxx

Hello dmilligan!
Everything works so great with your provided service. I wonder if there are any other features planned for future updates?
Greets swinxx

mageye

@dmilligan

Yes thanks again :). It's all good now. There were a few other programs which referenced the Volume name with the dots in, so I'm glad you made that possible!  ;D

swinxx

hello dmilligan.

omg. suddenly my mlvfs mounting procedure is not working anymore? the browser opens and says can not connect to site bla bla bla.
i have made a complete transfer with all my media data to a new raid system, but now i do not get it to work anymore. the system itself has not changed.
any idea?
how can i completely remove and install it again?

Update:
works on the desktop..
but does not work on my new raid drive.. name is in capitals.. nothing else changed.
the old working path was /Volumes/Daten/\[FILM\ SCHNITT\]/01_CODED_2014-06-15_MONOBIT/2_MEDIA/Raw/Kurhaus\ MLV
the new one is /Volumes/THUNDER/\[FILM\ SCHNITT\]/01_CODED_2014-06-15_MONOBIT/2_MEDIA/Raw/Kurhaus\ MLV

as you can see the only change was from drivename "Daten" to drive name "THUNDER"

UPDATE 2: puh, now it works, had to make it read and writeable for everyone..

thx. sw

Danne

Hi!
Did a quick check and gotta ask this. So, if using dual iso I can actually preview the files in real time and cut, edit etc and before export I check the full cr2hdr20bit and start my exports? Like proxy editing? I mean, I thought I first had to convert my dual iso dng files to regular dng? This is amazing really if it works straight on the timeline. Can David or Swinxx confirm. Or I try more tomorrow. THis sure would be good news.

*So it seems christmas is early this year :).
Quick question. Is it not possible to export to prores through Mlrawviewer in conjunction with mlvfs? I hit the E button but nothing. What are other experiencing?

dmilligan

Quote from: Danne on November 13, 2014, 10:58:44 PM
preview the files in real time and cut, edit etc and before export I check the full cr2hdr20bit and start my exports? Like proxy editing?
That's the idea. Assuming that the dual ISO preview is fast enough, and hopefully the preview is close enough to the full dual ISO output that it's useful (albeit at a much lower quality and having issues/artifacts). Let me know if it works for you like this.

Danne

Did a quick test in davinci and the preview worked really nice. Only had a short clip so gonna collect some more files to check on this more thoroughly. Crazy good stuff. Opens up some real oppurtunitys with dual iso workflow.

swinxx

@dmilligan:
what i have realized while comparing some dual iso shots with danne´s tool cr2hdr-r is, that converted dualiso dngs do not get displayed properly with the finder preview on mac osx 10.10 ( don´t know if it works on 10.9)
you can take a look at the dual iso dngs after mlvfs conversion here:
https://copy.com/wWXYBHbJwMHyi4Z2

there is a pinkish cast in the frame of the window. although davinci does a great job, it is not able to cancel that out completely. all in all it was much more present in the past conversion attemps with other tools like a1ex command line tool for dual iso conversion.

in the following link i made a short clip, which represents the major problem with my dual iso shot, which was used in a problematic situation (i know)...
https://copy.com/0nLwfWmR7Ebxy9FW
dmilligan, perhaps you or a1ex could tweak the conversion code cause that cast is flickering.. perhaps it can be cancelled out completely. that would be a major step forward, especially for dualiso movie mode.

greets.

Markus

This is super cool =). I've been trying it out on windows with pismo file mount program. Is it possible to control hotpixel fix and stripe removal in windows?

Danne

Hi David!
I played a little with the dual iso functionality and as I am a little lazy learning davinci and still wait to get my license for latest adobe premiere I have no deep analysis here.
So. I might be the only one creaming out prores files through AE and so I tried this today using mlvfs. It opens up fine but what I noticed it was lagging my computer considerably. I then started a short export and it was very slow. Also tried drag folders to desktop and it took a long while for export. Is it the cdng process taking som extra time or something else? Amaze imlementation? Maybe my computer? I,m on a macbook pro retina 15,5, 16gb ram ssd harddrive.
I havn,t done a proper comparison yet with a1ex original binary.
Thanks for all your help around here.
/D