MLVFS - a FUSE based, "on the fly" MLV to CDNG converter

Started by dmilligan, August 31, 2014, 02:01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

With resolve option selected folder content is suppose to show the moviefile without entering any folder.

dmilligan

Okay, there seems to be some sort of strange issue with Resolve. I noticed you're in the thumbnail view. When I try thumbnail view, Resolve actually completely crashes (it's not MLVFS crashing, in fact MLVFS is still running fine afterwards). In the list view everything is fine (which is what I was using when testing), and the folders show up as clips. Could you verify that in thumbnail view after it disappears for you that MLVFS is still properly running?

Danne

Hi David. Still no change. MLVFS mount comes up empty upon selecting da vinci resolve mode. Davinci app no change when in list view.

some pics

Selected

Empty due to davinci selected

List view emptiness

List view emptiness 2

Folder reappears when davinci resolve option is not selected

dmilligan

swinxx

Danne

DeafEyeJedi

Great news regarding Davinci Resolve. I ran out today to shoot a recreational soccer game with 5D3 and shot it all in RAW (few Dual-ISO's) just for the hell of it and it came out quite well, I believe.

I am currently using MLVFS to use  the DNG's in PP_CC(2014) which can read within from the mount itself (which is nice) and can actually playback smoothly in the sequence layout.

My only question now... how come audio isn't being linked together? Do i have to drag the audio folder into it or something?

Thanks again, David!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

spnsir

Hey guys,

Resolve audio linked is great but is not working for me. All of the files are loading with a linked audio file, but most of the audio is blank, and only some of my longer clips have the audio start towards the end of the file. I don't know if it makes a difference, but all the clips are shot at 50p. When I play each clip in the source window in Resolve, the audio is linked and works perfectly, but once I load it into the project there's no more audio, or there is but only in a few clips and it starts towards the end of the clip//isn't in sync.

dmilligan

Must be a timecode issue. I never actually went so far as adding the clips to projects when I was testing this. I assumed that if they were correct in the browser they'd show up correct once you actually add them. I'll look into it, though, resolve is super slow on my system so it's hard to even tell if the audio is correct because playback is so slow, so testing is a pita.

swinxx

hello,

@dmilligan: thank you so much for the resolve update!!

however, i converted the same sequence 2 times,
first time, audio was right :)
second time, audio was blank in resolve (as described) but i dont know why, cause it was the same file. perhaps different conversion options

if i find out why it was different, i will post my findings..

UPDATE:
in resolve -> Media Tab -> click on the video file -> Play it back -> Sound is here perfectly.
Import into the Media Pool -> Double Click -> Preview with the play button -> Sound has gone..

thats really strange, so when i preview the video file before the import, i can hear the sound, when i import it and play it back from the media directory -> the file is silent.

greets. swinxx

swinxx

@dmilligan

i also found out that in resolve after importing the footage into the media pool, the audio is no longer linked.
when i put the video file into a timeline, a wrong audio file (which is empty) is also placed within the video file onto the timeline, but it is not linked to the video file (it should)
normally i can not take the audio file and drag it to another position - cause it is locked to the video footage.
so to sum it up, at the moment audio files are not imported correctly into resolve, and they are also not linked.
the second interesting obervation is here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jnqym9j6wawkl3p/Screenshot%202014-10-27%2021.26.57.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ix9qfusvvqmrzb/Screenshot%202014-10-27%2021.26.47.png?dl=0

there are some dots jumping around in playback, they are strange and only in the black areas, but not in all clips.
my options within mlvfs were: resolve naming/Vertical Stripes Correction On/ Chroma Smoothing 2x2

thank you so much, greets. swinxx

swinxx

i can confirm that with rawmagic (sorry but great converter) audio works in resolve as expected.
rawmagic is a little bit brighter, and it has no jumping dots,
mlvfs is darker (dont know which one is right here), and has jumping dots in some darker areas of some (not all) shots

here is the link with 5 dngs from rawmagic (vertical stripe correction on) and from mlvfs (resolve on, vertical stripes correction on, 2x2 on)
perhaps you can find the missing information there..

https://copy.com/YOHU3WPaXbE7YT3q

greets. swinxx

dmilligan

The audio thing does appear to be a timecode issue. The DNGs from RAWMagic has the timecode tag. This must need to match the timecode in the wav file. I have no idea how to do this. The CDNG specification merely references "SMPTE 331M-2004", which is not freely available, so I do not know how this field is supposed to work. Maybe @chmee can shed some light?

DeafEyeJedi

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Audionut

dmilligan

Yeah I know, that's the CDNG spec I'm talking about, no real helpful information just a reference to the smpte spec and some meaningless table. None of the things in that table are explained, it is assumed you know what they mean from the smpte spec, which I don't have and isn't freely available. If you can explain it to me feel free...

Audionut

Figured as much, but that table looked so pretty, I figured someone smarter then myself might be able to decode it.

chmee

as described in this thread (and this), there are some more metadata in the wav-file to give it a timecode. cdng has its timecode, yes, and this is quite easy to transform (look on main code raw2cdng, line 1088 and calc.cs), but the wavfile needs a timecode in units of samplerate*frames(daytime)
long timeRef = (long)(mData.data.audioData.audioSamplingRate * time2frame);
the last function in my code io.cs.. my converted files does NOT behave like blackmagic-files, which a path looks like a mediafile - our cdng-folders look like folders with audio and video inside - but they react according on auto-sync.

regards chmee
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

dmilligan

thanks @chmee, I think I figured out the DNG timecode, Resolve is still not working though, perhaps I'm just not setting them to the correct thing. The DNG timecode doesn't need the date part, correct (last 4 bytes)? And it should be set to the time of day? or is it just relative to the start of the sequence?

perhaps you have an example DNG header and wave file header that work correctly (just a screenshot of the hex is fine)?

Quote from: chmee on October 28, 2014, 08:23:35 AM
my converted files does NOT behave like blackmagic-files, which a path looks like a mediafile - our cdng-folders look like folders with audio and video inside - but they react according on auto-sync.
does this mean that auto-sync doesn't work if I try to make them show up like blackmagic files? or are you just saying that you don't do it like that?

chmee

(will search for examples..) So, yes, i take the created/modified-time of file (this is the datem/time of recording) as startpoint, the timecode for first picture.
Quote..doesn't need the date part..
i didnt used it. maybe its important for datechange (midnight)..

[Resolve][MediaExplorer] cant tell you. my knowledge so far is simple. if i use according naming-convention [name]_C001_0000_[framenumber] and path [name]_C001_0000, it will show up as a mediafile instead of a folder BUT only if theres no audiofile inside. just wanted to say, my convertions are auto-syncable, but they dont show up as mediafile. something i couldnt figure out.

dmilligan

Quote from: chmee on October 29, 2014, 01:50:16 PM
it will show up as a mediafile instead of a folder BUT only if theres no audiofile inside. just wanted to say, my convertions are auto-syncable, but they dont show up as mediafile. something i couldnt figure out.
well, I guess I figured it out, though I'm not really sure what exactly makes it work, but I use the naming convention and the audio files and DNG sequence show up as a single mediafile and play correctly in the media browser, however, when you actually import them to the timeline, the audio doesn't work.

chmee

spnsir

from my experience, it seemed like the audio is properly linked in the timeline, just the timing is not right. it is starting up late, towards the end of the clip. but not sure why the audio timing is correct in the source window.

spnsir

In Resolve, if you right click and select "Add into Media Pool With Offset" and then enter in a value around 3500, the audio should be close to sync. I'm not sure if 3500 will work for you guys but it worked with multiple clips for me.

Note: it doesn't put the audio perfectly in sync so this isn't a usable workaround unless you want to fiddle with finding the exact offset for each clip, but I think this may help dmilligan get closer to figuring out what's causing this.

Screenshot:

dmilligan

Okay well it seems to work if I just use 0 for the start time code in the DNG and WAV. Mac download updated so try it and let me know if it works.