MLVFS - a FUSE based, "on the fly" MLV to CDNG converter

Started by dmilligan, August 31, 2014, 02:01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PowerMac84

Quite often OS X 10.10 during Convert with that AE script the temporary mount point of MLVFS disappears. I usually name a folder like "MLVFS temp folder". This looks like a volume which acts like a folder on another volume. But after some time it just disappears and also the Webserver is not more there. I then recreated it and let AE reconnect the files. After a while it happened again and the AE batch export gave me errors and exported error clips. Any ideas?

PowerMac84

Well the mount point of that virtual MLVFS volume also appears under the devices of my computer. Which volume should be used for working with the CDNG files? That mount point under devices or the concrete folder (virtual volume) on a other volume?

dmilligan

I've only just started testing on 10.10. If the mount point disappears then that means the program crashed.

I've never seen the FUSE mount show up under "devices", but I suppose it doesn't make any difference (it's probably still actually pointing to the same place, the folder where you mounted it to).

dmilligan

@swinxx,
I think I fixed the issue with the "%@" error popup (this was an issue with automator in osx 10.10)

@PowerMac84,
I have also some stability updates, please try the latest version and let me know (I also recommend updating FUSE to the latest version, 2.7.1, if you're not already on the latest version). If it's still crashing, let me know all the settings you were using.

DeafEyeJedi

Just downloaded the latest update few mins ago.. Thanks @dmilligan! Will let you know how it goes..

Question -- is it always reccommended to take the files out from the mount folder and into the file system (desktop, external drives, etc) as oppose to try running apps within the mount folder itself?

Perhaps it would run faster running off the system rather than or does that not matter?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

dmilligan

Copying the files out and not using the mount itself kind of defeats the whole purpose of this program.

swinxx

Hmm. @dmilligan:
I dont think so, how can i work with davinci resolve instead??

Danne

You can work with resolve straight from the mount. Worked last time I tried.

swinxx

yes, but when i start with a project, i would like to have all my working files collected in a special folder...
greets.

Danne

Collect all mlv files in folders on your harddrive and go from there?
Greets

delrosestephen

I just wanted to say thank you for this. I recently built a Hackintosh and MLVFS saves me so much time with post. Davinci Resolve works beautifully with this :)

swinxx

hello dmilligan!

i updated to yosemite yesterday, and now i can not mount any mlv files anymore..?
have tried it from my desktop, from another hard drive, no chance..
when i try to start the service, my safari web browser pops up but with no web server, there is the message that it is not able to load the page..?

update:
ok, i had a problem with some writing privileges.. ? don´t know why but before the update everything was fine. now i have corrected those things and my issues are gladly gone..

thx.

yanone

Hi,

I just downloaded and tried MLVFS for the first time. The initial post claims that audio is working, but not for me.

An audio file appears in the file system, but is reported at 0 Bytes size and therefore doesn't play back.
Also I have just tried the MLV module for the first time, coming from RAW, because I need the sound, and have no experience with MLV yet. But I turned the sound module on, and hey, something is there, yet empty.

Any ideas? Thank you!

UPDATE:
Please forgive my post. I have just found that there is another setting in the sound menu that will activate the sound recording. I thought loading the module would already achieve this. Cheers...

Tiny work flow enhancement:
Would be fantastic if MLVFS could remember the mount path, or maybe its parent directory.

swinxx

@dmilligan

do you think that it would be possible to link audio and video - especially in resolve, cause i have here the folders only and must click into all the folders, where else other programs like rawmagic (i know that there is a license problem) links the files that when i import it into resolve audio and video files are linked and i dont see them seperatly :)

thank you.

dmilligan

From what I've been able to gather, this requires that the file and folder names conform to some special naming scheme and also the audio file has some special metadata in it. The metadata in the wav file shouldn't be too hard, but the naming scheme presents somewhat of a challenge because of the way mlvfs and the fuse api works. Naming the DNGs something different isn't a problem at all, it's the parent folder that is a problem because mlvfs uses the parent folder's name to find the original mlv in the real filesystem. Instead of a simple translation of the path name, we'll have to have some kind of complicated lookup table.

It's certainly possible, and something I'd like to get working, but it will be a lot of work.

kgv5

Guys, i am little confused, could you please tell me where is the most recent version for windows - is it the one mlvfs.dll in the first page? I know that windows version is behind the mac but i am going to test it a little bit and would like to work on the latest version available. Thanks
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

dmilligan

kgv5

www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

dmilligan

Update: automatic audio linking in Resolve should now work (you need to select the "DaVinci Resolve" naming option). Even if you don't have audio, if you use the resolve option then your dng folders themselves should show up as "movies" or whatever in the Resolve file browser instead of showing up as a folder containing a dng sequence, which is handy. There is one drawback: you can't use the MLD folders or write anything into the mount (like .xmp files) so AE won't work in this mode (yet).

swinxx

Danne

That is cool.
Have a strange thing going on. When I select da vinci resolve in the interface the files vanishes from the folder. However. Tried running the mlv file with audio straight in da vinci resolve without selecting for it in the mlvfs interface and it worked anyway straight out of the box? Audio and picture. Maybe it is set to da vinci as default?
I used Da vinci relove lite 10, OSX maverick mac book pro 15 inch.
NIce work on this. Gotta start using da vinci resolve more often though.

Tried also installing the next latest update and audio wasn,t merged as with latest to rule out audio working before

Danne

QuoteThere is one drawback: you can't use the MLD folders or write anything into the mount (like .xmp files) so AE won't work in this mode (yet).

Actually, I can use both after effects(storing xmp to MLD folder) and Da Vinci Resolve with audio without selecting da vinci resolve mode in mlvfs. SWEET!

dmilligan

The audio seems to show up either way, but if you use the naming scheme, the directories themselves just show up as clips (so you don't have to navigate down into them)

Danne

Ok. Well, then the DaVinci Resolve selection isn,t working on my computer. The mount empties when selected unfortunately.

With davinci option checked

Entering folder with davinci resolve checked(mount also empty)

swinxx

hello,
i do not understand.. so what´s the problem with mlvfs and davinci now? should i use the option "resolve" in the webserver? or not?
is it also working without it? sorry for asking but i can not test it at the moment.
thx sw