MLVFS - a FUSE based, "on the fly" MLV to CDNG converter

Started by dmilligan, August 31, 2014, 02:01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmilligan

I added the "aggressive" hot pixel correction, and lowered the dark noise estimate a little, hopefully this will pick up your bad pixels.

Also cleaned up the web GUI a little and added a metadata display table for MLV files.

swinxx

Great. Could there be a downside when using agressive hox pixel correction with other material?
I will try today. Thx

dmilligan

@swinxx,
IDK

@all,
Full dual-ISO conversion is now working!

kgv5

Wow, cannot wait to test it  :D  Is the first page download link up to date (for windows)?
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

dmilligan

Quote from: kgv5 on October 13, 2014, 07:18:25 PM
Is the first page download link up to date (for windows)?
No, Windows version has not yet been updated, only the Mac version

swinxx

@dmilligan

first, let me say thank you very much for your time and knowhow to provide a brilliant solution for converting the mlv files. this is a really great way to speed up the working process.

but for the first time some questions came up after installing it.. perhaps you could explain in a few words.

.) when i select the file and mount the drive (with an empty folder which i have created) can i swap and change options on the fly..? i mean now i see a new web interface (which looks really nice btw :))

so the configuration options are applied at the same time when selecting them? or when i remount them? when i have a dual iso file here, i can not see any difference between "OFF", "PREVIEW" and "FULL"?? i mean, i see a distorted image, please have a look at my posted link. thx

UPDATE: Ok, it confused me cause i tried with dual iso first and there are some issues for me? perhaps because of the resolution aspect ratio?

.) I have tried it with a mlv dual iso file, but had problems (image looks strange)
here is the posted image after conversion:
https://copy.com/WHHtwGsDkm84v8rl

.) is it possible to add a "APPLY" button, that we can be sure the settings are applied?

UPDATE: Ok, after more testing i see, they are applied on the fly :=)

.) althought the web interface shows shutter time 19ms i am quite sure that i shot with 50ms..?
could this be a tag issue? or my fault?

.) in the link from above, there is a directory with 2 tiff images, where i sadly can see, that the agressive hot/bad pixel algo is doing some weird things.. perhaps a1ex can take a quick look at it.

all in all, great tool!! dmilligan you are a goal getter :)
thank you,
greets. swinxx

ayshih

Quote from: kgv5 on October 13, 2014, 07:18:25 PM
Wow, cannot wait to test it  :D  Is the first page download link up to date (for windows)?
I haven't been able to work on the Windows/PFM version lately, so it's fallen a bit behind.  Unfortunately, that's likely to continue to be the case for the next couple of weeks.
Canon EOS 50D | 17–40mm f/4L & 70–300mm f/4.5–5.6 DO IS | Lexar 1066x

dmilligan

Quote from: swinxx on October 13, 2014, 08:00:48 PM
.) althought the web interface shows shutter time 19ms i am quite sure that i shot with 50ms..?
could this be a tag issue? or my fault?
Are you sure you didn't mean 1/50s?
1/50s = 20ms
(it's 19 probably because of either rounding error, or 1/50 only being the approximate shutter speed)

swinxx

ah yes of course..  :D
1/50 for 24fps.. nearly 180 degree :)

dmilligan

Quote from: swinxx on October 13, 2014, 08:00:48 PM
.) I have tried it with a mlv dual iso file, but had problems (image looks strange)
It looks more like what I would expect the preview to look like. Perhaps you had the preview option enabled and loaded the image and it got "cached", so when you switched to "full" it just retrieved the cached preview. Just unmount and try again, select the "full" option before doing anything else.

If that's not it, could you upload the first little bit of the original mlv file?
hint: you can use mlv_dump to trim an mlv file to just a few frames:
mlv_dump -o output.mlv -f 5 input.mlv

swinxx

thank you,
i will have a quick look now, and get back as soon in some minutes..

greets.

Danne

Yeah man! This is nice. It is a cache thing. Got the dual iso "view" files converted looking fishy but after remounting I could start conversion with dual iso 20bit converter.
Are files hardcoded with 60 000 whitelevel for same level correction? How is that done? Where can I view the code? Curious noob I am.
Compared converting with my cr2hdr-r script but altough my computer was sweating like a pig your conversion was 20 seconds faster with the same laptop and it didn,t make a sound. Go figure  :P.
Wishing for raw support purely for dual iso purposes and until then monkeywrenching i still a good thing ;).

swinxx

hello dmilligan,

so i have tried it, and yes my fault, i had to reboot the computer, now it is working, although, when you take a quick look (link posted above) i have some strange artefacts in the converted file (in the window) green and pinkish..
the same file converted with the lr plugin has no artefacts.
thx. swinxx

dmilligan

Quote from: Danne on October 13, 2014, 10:33:05 PM
Are files hardcoded with 60 000 whitelevel for same level correction? How is that done?
white level is just the one from metadata * 4

Where can I view the code? Curious noob I am.
https://bitbucket.org/dmilligan/mlvfs/src/

Danne

Thank you. Heavy reading. A lot of stuff. Thanks for all your work on this.

dmilligan

Compared converting with my cr2hdr-r script but altough my computer was sweating like a pig your conversion was 20 seconds faster with the same laptop and it didn,t make a sound. Go figure  :P.
It's probably the fact that I'm not using the AMaZE based interpolation. I just wanted to get cr2hdr working internally as simple and stripped down as possible, then add stuff back in.

Danne

Could be the case. It looked good though but have to test some more clips. Wasn, t amaze "fixing" jagged lines a little better?

dmilligan

update: some performance improvements

(mostly if you have multiple cores and are using the processing heavy options, also requires the software accessing the files to try to load multiple files at once, in SpeedGrade there is an option you can set for this, the default is 2 frames at once, a Finder copy only does one file at a time, so to see improvement do multiple copies at the same time)

swinxx

DeafEyeJedi

Just tested out the latest update of MLVFS -- it is in fact quite impressive especially with the new GUI layout as well as the DUAL-ISO 20-bit option...

I tried to leave everything alone as much as possible beside 'Bad Pixel Fix' and 'Dual-ISO 20-bit' and the DNG's are coming out quite weird...

Definitely better than the previous version but it's not quite the same quality as if you were just to export as unconverted DNG's and then use a stand alone app (cr2hdr-r) through with Automator OR the 20-bit plug-in for LR5... either one of these gets the job well.

**ALSO when trying export files directly from the MLVFS mount folder -- it freezes up the Photoshop app and have to force to close BUT it seems to work just fine with LR5... just have to wait for it to finish load which takes forever! is there a reason for this?

The only question I have regarding this is whether or not should I apply the same levels through command because I'm not sure if MLVFS does this? (this is why I love the new cr2hdr-r workflow the @Danne created as well @dmilligan's merged into this 'Service' similar to MLVFS.

Unless I am missing something regarding the newly updated MLVFS...

THANKS ALL!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

swinxx

dmilligan

@DeafEyeJedi, those look like focus pixels, you need to turn on chroma smoothing to get rid of them. Right now you might get some weird artifacts with chroma smoothing, I need to incorporate it into the correct sequence within cr2hdr stuff. There are also several cr2hdr options that I have not implemented yet. These options, when implemented, should improve image quality greatly, and match the result of the standard cr2hdr.

It's slow because Lr is trying to load the DNG, which means MLVFS has to convert it first. Conversion can take several seconds per frame. If you're going to use LR, I would recommend copying the DNGs out of the MLVFS mount into the real filesystem (permanently converting them).

a1ex

Note that focus pixels with dual ISO are still unsolved, at least in my implementation (didn't try MLVFS yet, but will definitely do it). So try not using both at the same time - I know you can, from your signature :P

dmilligan

Okay I implemented the chroma smoothing the same way it's in cr2hdr (chroma smooth fullres and halfres before final blending). It helps with the focus pixels, but doesn't remove them completely. If you do the chroma smoothing after cr2hdr is completely finished, the focus pixels are completely gone, but there are strange green blob artifacts.

I haven't updated the binaries yet (I'll wait till some more updates)

DeafEyeJedi

copy that @dmilligan & @a1ex -- I'm off to bed and will get back on the boat w you guys over the weekend!

Thanks guys!

SJ
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109