MLVFS - a FUSE based, "on the fly" MLV to CDNG converter

Started by dmilligan, August 31, 2014, 02:01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank7D

For Windows users who can't directly edit the cdngs, I posted a workflow for making proxies or intermediates with After Effects using some batch files to simplify things:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13354.0

senzazn12

When I try to register the MLVFS.DLL in command prompt I get an error saying this. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong I'm doing wrong?

It says ERROR: Unable to register formater "mlvfs.dll"

ayshih

Are you sure you are typing the command in the correct directory (i.e., where you downloaded mlvfs.dll to)?  You can type "dir mlvfs.dll" to make sure that the DLL is present in current directory.
Canon EOS 50D | 17–40mm f/4L & 70–300mm f/4.5–5.6 DO IS | Lexar 1066x

Frank7D

What I did was:
1. Renamed the file to add the ".dll" on the end.
2. Copied the file to my Windows folder.
3. Left-clicked somewhere in the Windows folder.
4. Held down the shift key while right-clicking, and chose "Open Command Window Here."
5. Typed the command per ayshih.

senzazn12

Thanks ayshih and Frank7D

That worked perfect for me! I'm not too literate with CMD so thanks for helping me out. I'll be trying your workflow next. :D

dmilligan

Quote from: Danne on September 20, 2014, 09:18:09 AM
Any thoughts on including raw format and maybe also some "write" possibilities(direct use in after effects)? Noticed some of this going on in the windows workflow but I have no idea how complicated this will be for mac mlvfs.
Well, I've mostly got a read/write filesystem working via a loopback to the real filesystem (files to show up in the xxx.MLV directory are stored in a xxx.MLD directory in the real filesystem). However, After Effects still wouldn't open the DNG sequence because it wanted to write to the DNGs themselves. I was hoping that AE would fall back to using an XMP sidecar if the DNGs were readonly, but this didn't happen and it appears there's no way force it to (unless you can find one). There's certainly no way to make the DNGs themselves writeable, so it looks like an AE workflow is not going to be possible. IMO this is very poor design on Adobe's part. Maybe Adobe will bring native CDNG support (like in Premiere) to AE soon.

It might still be possible to use Lr or Photoshop.

Though, personally, I much prefer workflows that don't involve ACR. There seem to be a lot of folks that swear by ACR, but I don't buy it, it's just not good for video. There are much better video specific tools out there.

ayshih

Quote from: dmilligan on September 20, 2014, 11:28:59 PM
I was hoping that AE would fall back to using an XMP sidecar if the DNGs were readonly, but this didn't happen and it appears there's no way force it to (unless you can find one). There's certainly no way to make the DNGs themselves writeable, so it looks like an AE workflow is not going to be possible.
I don't have or use AE, but Frank7D's workflow uses the Windows/PFM version of MLVFS, and those virtual DNGs aren't writable either.  He turns off the read-only attribute on the virtual DNGs, and then AE can open the sequence.  If AE actually tries to write to the virtual DNGs, that implementation will return a type of error that is actually soft-ish (i.e., AE might not actually realize that the writes failed), which may also be helping.

dmilligan

interesting, though it sounds kind of hackish to make the DNGs writable, I would prefer that the DNGs attributes remain readonly, if they are in fact going to be readonly, but I'll try it

dmilligan

okay well, that worked, so it's now working with AE, binaries updated

g3gg0

okay, will update the code to also use .MLD directories.
just to make our tools behave the same ;)
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

Danne

Hi!
Tried the latest update and the workflow crashes. I all seems going good at first sight but when entering the mlv folders and trying opening the dng:s either makes the folders dissapear or the files won,t open in both photoshop acr and AE acr. This is how it looks. I,m on macbook pro os X mavericks adobe cs 6.

[img=http://s22.postimg.org/7u7tqsxf1/Screen_Shot_2014_09_21_at_08_51_11.png]

[img=http://s22.postimg.org/52ok06ywd/Screen_Shot_2014_09_21_at_08_54_10.png]

[img=http://s22.postimg.org/6gg6vhy5p/Screen_Shot_2014_09_21_at_08_54_53.png]

mageye

I am getting the same thing. The last version was working.

The latest version appears to mount the files and as soon as you go to browse - the mounted folder disappears? The folders seem to have disappeared into the ether? However the folders are visible from the Terminal only (they are not visible in Finder).

What's happening?

I'm running Mavericks 10.9.5 with latest OSXFUSE (v2.71)
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

ayshih

Something's wrong with the latest OS X MLVFS, now that there is a write implementation, and I haven't figured it out yet.  It may have to do with the "._*" files that OS X wants to create for all of the files.  Sorry guys: we'll get this fixed as soon as possible.

dmilligan

I can't figure out what's going on either. It was working fine, I even got it to work in AE, but now nothing works, so I've reverted the dmg to the previous working version until we figure it out.

ayshih

I believe I've fixed the problem.  dmilligan, please confirm and update.

dmilligan

No, it's still really screwy, I get file not found errors. I think there are more FUSE API functions that need to be implemented for it to work (like statfs and getattr). The strange thing is I can't figure out how I ever got it to work in the first place.

ayshih

Hmm, that's odd.  I'm no longer getting errors on my OS X side, so I don't know if I can help you track down the problems.  If you haven't already, I recommend nuking everything (object files, .MLD directories, any files starting with a period) to make sure everything builds and runs as cleanly as possible.

dmilligan

yeah I already tried that, also rebooted and installed the latest xcode updates, everything was the same. I have sort of narrowed it down though, it seems to be an issue with flush, when I get rid of it everything works. If you don't think there's anything wrong with getting rid of flush I'll push the commit.

I have updated the mac binary so please try it everyone.

Danne

Holy mother of all crap. It is working! What is also working is direct conversion of dual iso moviefiles  :D :D :D. The mld directorys takes the files perfectly. I ran the cr2hdr binary. What a morning man. Awesomeness.
Biggest thanks David and Ayshih.

I you drag and drop several folders at once in after effects, see to it it doesn,t contain any wav file cause it won,t open then. Open the folders one by one works as usual. This is not related to the MLVFS app.
[img=http://s7.postimg.org/d6sbcun9j/Screen_Shot_2014_09_22_at_06_47_49.png]

Dual iso creation!
[img=http://s7.postimg.org/8m64xx3k7/Screen_Shot_2014_09_22_at_07_00_42.png]

Canon eos m

A quick question: I have the MLVFS version downloaded from 10 days ago. Do I have to uninstall this from the Mac and reinstall the newer version on my laptop. Any safeguards or precautions to follow while do so?

Are the steps the same as they were before when Danne / Dimiligan guided me through the process.

I appears that the 10 day old version is working fine on AE 2014 for me. However, cannot say the same for the g3gg0's version on my Windows 8 machine. This maybe be because I am doing something horribly wrong.

Will try this files on Photoshop, Premier Pro and Speedgrade to ensure all is working fine and as intended.

Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

Danne

I,m on mac and I simply install the new version and services asks if I want to replace the old one and then it is good to go. Cannot help on windows.

Canon eos m

thanks but i am getting the message that mlvfs cannot open since it is from an unidentified source. sorry i am new to the osx environment .. would have never asked such a stupid question if i was no the windows environment  :(
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

Danne

So if you,re on a mac and you get the unidentified developer notification you have to change settings in your,re OS. Try this or google for more info on the subject. Or are you on windows?
http://support.apple.com/kb/PH14369

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19551298/app-cant-be-opened-because-it-is-from-an-unidentified-developer

ayshih

Quote from: Canon eos m on September 22, 2014, 01:11:54 PM
I appears that the 10 day old version is working fine on AE 2014 for me. However, cannot say the same for the g3gg0's version on my Windows 8 machine. This maybe be because I am doing something horribly wrong.
For Windows, you can try the MLVFS version that uses Pismo File Mount Audit Package (see Frank7D's post on his AE workflow.  The MLVFS formatter can be downloaded here: https://bitbucket.org/dmilligan/mlvfs/downloads/mlvfs.dll

@dmilligan: can you add a download link for the DLL to the first post?