MLVFS - a FUSE based, "on the fly" MLV to CDNG converter

Started by dmilligan, August 31, 2014, 02:01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eraizgn

guys the out put is DNG or cDNG? I didnt get it whats going on, lots of codes are swimming around.

Danne

eraizgn

I download `mlvfs ` which is 289-292KB and edit to, send to for `@echo off
for %%a in (*.MLV) do ( md "%%~na" 2>nul )&(E:\RAW\mlvfs.exe -o %%~na\%%~na_ --dng %%~na.MLV )`

But just create a empty folder which name MLV is..

Code is not true?

mlv_dump is working, but I want to convert cDNG not DGN

What should I do?

dmilligan

There are some tutorial videos linked in the first post.

bouncyball

eraizgn

Quote from: dmilligan on June 07, 2017, 01:26:02 AM
There are some tutorial videos linked in the first post.

I did what exactly he has done but, check it out

reddeercity

Quote from: eraizgn on June 07, 2017, 01:43:16 PM
I did what exactly he has done but, check it out
Looks like mlvfs is working , you may have a problem with the mlv file . If it a small file upload a link to it so it can be check by others.
Does the mlv file look Ok with mlv_dump ? is this a 4k & compressed (lossless) 14bit raw file ?
If the files is really big you can shorten with  mlvdiag.1.0.1

eraizgn

Quote from: reddeercity on June 08, 2017, 03:44:22 AM
Looks like mlvfs is working , you may have a problem with the mlv file . If it a small file upload a link to it so it can be check by others.
Does the mlv file look Ok with mlv_dump ? is this a 4k & compressed (lossless) 14bit raw file ?

Yes it is working with mlv_dump. It was recorded 3.5K lossless 14bit raw
the file was about 520MB, with your program 5mb now

https://files.fm/u/4p7q3ygh

dmilligan

Probably you are using some old version before lossless compression support was added.

voblaunsane

Quote from: bouncyball on June 07, 2017, 09:15:43 AM
What is your hardware?

My hardware is good enough to handle 25fps footage with absolutely no problems, but 23.9fps is not possible to edit..it's lagging, stuttering, etc..

Before you blame it on hardware please examine following piece of evidence: graphs showing resource usage by mlvfs process

Quote from: voblaunsane on June 03, 2017, 07:08:50 PM

25 fps graph looks nice: constant load on hdd, processor cruncing numbers, works lika a charm and the whole take can be previewed in a blink

while 23.9 fps is a real mess: hdd constantly choking and processor is having a nap, visual performance - stuck on one frame mostly...

It looks like working with 23.9, mlvfs is not utilising resources properly...

Now to answer your question:
i7 - 3770K @ 3.50GHz
8GB RAM
NVIDIA GTX 570
7200 rpm hdd

Danne

Sample mlv? I run mac but surely others could check your file, metadata etc.
Is nearby fps like 24 fps working? Is it only with 23.9?

eraizgn

Quote from: dmilligan on June 08, 2017, 01:17:11 PM
Probably you are using some old version before lossless compression support was added.

that MLV file works with mlv_dump btw

@dmilligan

DokanInstall_0.8.0
MLVFS_x86

@voblaunsane

Windows 7 Ultimate
I7-4930K
32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce 770X (gonna buy SLI 1080ti )
3x 256 GB SSD ( C:windows / d: ProgramFiles / e: Works on Projects )
8TB HDD ( Storage )

eraizgn

Quote from: Danne on June 08, 2017, 03:51:45 PM
Sample mlv? I run mac but surely others could check your file, metadata etc.
Is nearby fps like 24 fps working? Is it only with 23.9?

Yes it is sample mlv..
I do not know but yea 24.01fps

bouncyball

@voblaunsane
Hardware is ok exept hdd maybe. There is no difference between 24/23.976 and 25 FPS for MLVFS. It does not care about FPS at all. What cares about it is the NLE while processing cinema DNGs (adobe premiere as I understand in this case). I never had this kind of stutter under windows with premiere/davinci resollve even on the less powerful hardware than you've got (note: I used SSD).

@eraizin
Quote from: eraizgn on June 08, 2017, 04:03:12 PM
DokanInstall_0.8.0
MLVFS_x86
Very old stuff. If your Windows is x64 then try links here to download last MLVFS x64 and latest Dokany at the bottom of the 1st post.

bb

voblaunsane

Quote from: bouncyball on June 08, 2017, 05:47:03 PM
@voblaunsane
Hardware is ok exept hdd maybe. There is no difference between 24/23.976 and 25 FPS for MLVFS. It does not care about FPS at all. What cares about it is the NLE while processing cinema DNGs (adobe premiere as I understand in this case). I never had this kind of stutter under windows with premiere/davinci resollve even on the less powerful hardware than you've got (note: I used SSD)

I've tried all sorts of things and now can not be 100% certain, but I believe to have tried extracting cdngs with mlvfs and mlv2cdng with only later rendering normal results and that precisely makes me think the problem lies within mlvfs.

I'll be able to do some more tests and confirm this next week. Is there any particular facet of this you would be interested in, @bouncyball??

eraizgn

Quote from: bouncyball on June 08, 2017, 05:47:03 PM
@voblaunsane
Hardware is ok exept hdd maybe. There is no difference between 24/23.976 and 25 FPS for MLVFS. It does not care about FPS at all. What cares about it is the NLE while processing cinema DNGs (adobe premiere as I understand in this case). I never had this kind of stutter under windows with premiere/davinci resollve even on the less powerful hardware than you've got (note: I used SSD).

@eraizinVery old stuff. If your Windows is x64 then try links here to download last MLVFS x64 and latest Dokany at the bottom of the 1st post.

bb

@bouncyball / I downloaded mlvfs.exe ( 2017-05-06 ) and Dokany (DokanSetup.exe  6.51 MB) Now, I need to drag into to C:\MLVFS_x64 ? replace the old one?

eraizgn

@bouncyball I did it works, thanks for any comment to me for fix it out, One more question

After converting MLV to cDNG, closing cmd but dokan(Z) do not disappear whatever I do, If I just close the PC

is there any command for quit?/eject? etc?

bouncyball

Quote from: voblaunsane on June 08, 2017, 06:16:20 PM
I'll be able to do some more tests and confirm this next week. Is there any particular facet of this you would be interested in, @bouncyball??
Nope nothing particular, raw2cdng (there is no mlv2cdng AFAIK) extracts phisical cdng files and writes to disk. MLVFS shows virtual dng files and sure has an overhead on CPU. You can just copy dng files from MLVFS virtual dirs to phisical disk and try opening them in NLE (23,976 ones).

bouncyball

Quote from: eraizgn on June 09, 2017, 11:56:35 AM
After converting MLV to cDNG, closing cmd but dokan(Z) do not disappear whatever I do, If I just close the PC
is there any command for quit?/eject? etc?
Look at my post here

You have 2nd option though: run MLVFS in foreground with -f switch (which is not displayed by windows version of MLVFS with usage help :) but it's there and works). It will open console window and if you just close this window it's gonna unmount the virtual MLVFS drive too.

bb

_OLLE_

Hi, I have a deadline on Thursday, yea I know it´s stupid to use ML on that types of jobs... ::)

anyway, in my Cdng folders the .wav contains zero bytes and in Davinci Resolve there is of course now audio channel.

Please help what to do?

bouncyball

@_OLLE_

Did you try extracting with mlv_dump? If yes Is it normal playable wav?

_OLLE_

Quote from: bouncyball on June 17, 2017, 10:10:07 AM
@_OLLE_

Did you try extracting with mlv_dump? If yes Is it normal playable wav?

no I use MLVFS. What is mlv_dump?

bouncyball

Download latest build (2017-06-15 16:39) of mlv_dump for your operating system here.

voblaunsane

Quote from: bouncyball on June 09, 2017, 02:54:38 PM
Nope nothing particular, raw2cdng (there is no mlv2cdng AFAIK) extracts phisical cdng files and writes to disk. MLVFS shows virtual dng files and sure has an overhead on CPU. You can just copy dng files from MLVFS virtual dirs to phisical disk and try opening them in NLE (23,976 ones).

yeah, sorry it's raw2cng, not mlv.. Tried 3 methods to access dngs on that same 23.976 file and can confirm that both mlvfs virtual cdngs and cdngs extracted to a drive are stuttering and are impossible to work with, overal cpu load is *only* 18%.. Now using extracted dngs wit raw2cdng (16bit maximised) procesor load goes up to ~40% and it's playing back normally..

Also just noticed that mlvfs does not offer time code?

Welles

Quote from: voblaunsane on May 30, 2017, 01:10:02 AM
4. Renamed dokanfuse1.dll (in MLVFS_x64 folder) to dokanfuse.dll and dokan1.dll to dokan.dll

Thanks a ton! That did the trick for me! I had the same symtoms as others: mlvsfs was dying without any message.
100D.100B / EF-S 10-18mm IS STM / EF-S 18-55mm IS STM / EF-S 55-250 mm IS II / EF 40mm STM