rear curtain synch

Started by Philer, August 29, 2014, 11:37:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philer

Is it a software issue that doesn't allow the 6D rear curtain sync...or to extend the flash sync speeds above 180/th?  I understand that if you buy pocket wizards or pixel kings, they will enable rear curtain  sync and higher sync speeds so in my simplistic head, this would point to the fact that the camera has the capability.  I'm new here and I have tried to see if this has been asked before but can't find anything (maybe looking in the wrong places).  So apologies if I'm asking the Q again, but would appreciate it if someone has answered this or it is already a feature in ML  - could point me in the right direction.  Cheers

acid2006

dmilligan

x-sync speed is a limitation of the mechanics of how focal plane shutters work, the only way to overcome it is to fire multiple quick bursts at just the right timing (aka "high speed sync"), and this capability depends on the flash (not the camera)

Philer

Hi, first off...thanks for taking the time out to respond to my question- I really do appreciate it.

But onto the reply.  The rear curtain sync and the shutter speed maxing at 180th are both issues that are overcome by using a PixelKing.  Therefor in my head, it means that the camera is capable.  Now the flash units I tend to use are Yongnuo 565ex (ttl and manual)  Another Yougnuo acts as a slave unit.  But the same applies when I use my studio setup of Bowens flash heads. 

I have taken shots where I have use the pixel Kings and there is definitely a rear sync.  And I have also shot at 800th sec successfully but again, only with the Pixel Kings.  This is why I believe the 6d is capable but the software is holding it back.

Does this help?

Philer

Sorry, a bit more of an answer now I re-read.  The rear curtain shots rely on single flash fire to get the effect.  All my units are firing a single flash.  So I believe that to see the effect where there is blurred movement that ends in a more frozen image (all in the one shot)  requires that the shutter remain open for a couple of seconds and only when the curtain is c;losing does the flash fire to freeze the last part of the image.  Multiple hi speed flashes won't have this effect...it would be a series of frozen images.  This is why I know the rear sync works, but only with the PK's.  I have also tried canon and a number of different studio flash units from a very friendly retail store so I know it isn't being dependent on the make or type of flash unit.

At least I think that's the case....but then again, that's why I'm asking you guys

Cheers