Corrupted SD card?

Started by bonders, May 18, 2015, 05:48:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bonders

Installed ML on my new 5d mark iii a few weeks ago. I've been using it without issue since then- lots of time lapses with the intervalometer. When I took it to the field for more timelapses today, the camera would not turn on, though the battery was newly charged. After playing with it a bit, I found that the camera would turn on if I removed the SD card (with ML on it), removed and reinserted the battery, and only had a CF card inserted. Whenever I tried to reinsert the SD card; however, the camera would once again not turn on. Nothing. Temporarily bricked. Still works with the CF and battery trick, but the SD renders it unusable. The interesting thing is that when I use the SD card in my t2i it works just fine. I reformatted it in that camera, but still had the same issue in the 5d. Any ideas? I could install ML on a CF card, but I've read a couple threads that recommend not doing that, and I don't want to run the risk of potentially ruining another card. Any chance to recoup the use of the SD card in the 5d? I'd greatly appreciate any help, guidance, ideas, responses, exclamations, commiserations etc.

Walter Schulz

Format card in cardreader
Format card in cam
Copy extracted nightly contents to card.
Run firmware update
Restart cam
Post results

bonders

Likely a dumb beginner's question: By "copy extracted nightly contents to card", are you recommending just reinstalling the nightly build (ie. starting over?). Any elaboration would be greatly appreciated. And thanks for the help.

Walter Schulz

Free your mind. Forget about other installation routines for the moment.
Follow instructions above step by step.

bonders

Consider it freed, but could you expand on "Copy extracted nightly contents to card."- where do I get the extracted nightly contents?

Frank7D

Top right of page "Downloads" then "Download Nightly Builds"

bonders

Huzahhhhh! Thanks for the help. Went through all instructions and it seems to be working just fine once again. What a great online community! Thanks again.