700D RAW buffer size only 31 MB?

Started by derkermit, September 23, 2014, 06:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derkermit

Hey guys,
I'm using magic lantern nightly build on a 700D and because I want to shoot RAW videos I checked the "shoot_malloc" buffer size and it does show only 31MB of memory. In other threads (mostly regarding the 600D/650D) I've seen that this buffer goes up to 91 MB so I'm curious about my low value. It actualy states 91 MB for "shoot total" in movie mode (59 in photo mode) so maybe this isn't that much of a difference at all but I didn't find anything on the forum dealing with this.

With 1280x720 pixels I just get around 250 frames without FPS override. That's a bad score I think. My SD card is a Transcend 300x 64GB with 35MB/s of theoretical write speed. It achieves the speeds shown in the attached pictures in photo/movie mode. They aren't that bad I think so why can't I get more frames before it begins to skip them?

Thanks, Alex

Levas

Is there in the raw recording menu an option for "SRM hack" or "memory hack" option available ?
Don't know if this option is available on the 700d, but if it's there, enable it, it could give you some more memory for buffer.

And,

25fps 1280 x 720 needs 40MB/s writing speed, so if you get 35MB/s with your card, you're using 5 MB of the buffer size each second...
30 fps 1280 x 720 needs 48MB/s writing speed, so if you get 35MB/s with your card, you're using 18 MB of the buffer size each second... if you have 91MB shoot malloc, that's 91 / 18 = 5 seconds before the buffer is full and frame skipping starts...

The 700d probably can do 40MB/s writing speed max, so if you buy a SD card that's a little bit faster, you can record 1280 x 720, 25 FPS.