Canon 550D / T2i

Started by ItsMeLenny, August 27, 2014, 10:34:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: Kaval on July 29, 2015, 05:24:50 PM
One question: Is autofocus video possible? If yes (even not perfect), how to go about it? What settings are required?

It is not available. I think at one point they tried to add something, but it was practically impossible.
New cameras with autofocus in video have a special image sensor to allow it to do so.

Kaval

Thank you for quick response.

Will dual ISO work on raw or jpeg or both?

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: Kaval on July 29, 2015, 05:46:08 PM
Will dual ISO work on raw or jpeg or both?

It will work on RAW, there's no use of it on JPEG as it requires post processing.
I don't think it works on JPEG, I'm pretty sure RAW has to be enabled.

jc+

Hello,

I did purchase a micro RODE NTG2 I want to connect my digital camera Canon EOS 550D. I use Magic Lantern, and despite having pushed the settings in the analog gain to + 32dB, I have a very low volume. A few centimeters from the source to record, painfully I reach the first mark in the meter.

I thought I had a microphone problem so I tested with a recorder Tascam DR40 type: it works.

Do some of you have had this problem? And if so, how did you solve?

Thank you.

JC+

axelcine

Maybe my question is totally stupid - but did you check the sound recording option in the cam's video menu - must be set to ON. ML doesn't overrule Canon settings afaik. User Guide p134.
EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass

jc+

Yes, the sound recording option is set to on.

jc+

Hello,

Do you know if it's possible to use an iOS device (like iPad or iPhone but without jailbraking) for having a monitor for EOS 550D ?

I don't need a wireless solution.

Regards.

JC+

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: jc+ on February 16, 2016, 09:18:52 AM
Hello,

Do you know if it's possible to use an iOS device (like iPad or iPhone but without jailbraking) for having a monitor for EOS 550D ?

I don't need a wireless solution.

Regards.

JC+

If iOS has some sort of EOS utility and if the device can take a USB input.
There's the EOS utility for Windows and Mac and it basically streams images like a webcam.
However webcams are usually uncompressed 640x480, the canon camera streams 4:2:2 jpeg at a higher resolution.

jc+

Hi from there,

Do you know if we can use any SD card capacity (32 or 64GB) with a Canon 550D (T2i)?
To make the video, which card speed does it take?
Thank you.

Regards,

JC+

Walter Schulz

Any? Don't know about > 128 GB but that should be ok.
SD-card interface is limited to about 21 MByte/s writing. You may use whatever card you like but that's just what you may get.

jc+

Hi Walter,

Any is because Google Translation  :-\

So can i use a 128 GO too ? I want making film with my DSLR, so may i have to buy a specific SD card ? which class (speed) should i use ?

Regards,

JC+

littlebobbytables

Currently using a 128GB Komputerbay 600x class 10 card. No issues at all with the size of the card, speed can be an issue though when I crank up the bitrate. When choosing a card don't look at class alone. Benchmarks is the only way to make sure a card can write fast enough.
50D, 300, BMPCC4K

jc+

What do you mean with "Benchmarks", i can't translate this ?  :-\

JC+

Walter Schulz

See CrystalDiskMark, ATTO (Windows) or Blackmagic Disk Speed Test (OS X).
Or Debug tab/screen -> Benchmarks -> Card R/W benchmark (5 min)

jc+

It mean that it depends of my hard drive too ?

Walter Schulz

No. These PC programs will test flash drives, too.

jc+

Ok, but you need to buy the card first before test it, isn't it ?

Walter Schulz

There are some web sites delivering quite reliable information about card performance. I would try http://www.cameramemoryspeed.com
Do not mix up results. Those are only valid for the very card tested. Examples:
Lexar 800x CF-card: 32 GB shows 45 MByte/s. 64 GB shows about 70 MByte/s.
Sony's 94 MB/s SD-card performs poorly in EOS cams, 95 MB/s has no problems.

NiiteFall

Hi guys, I've been a trying a few times to install Magic Lantern and it just won't work.

When I try to update the firmware to install Magic Lantern, I get this message:
Incorrect firmware version.
Expecting a Canon 550D,
with firmware version 109.
Please reinstall Canon firmware 109,
even if you already have this version.

So I listen, and download the e8kr7109.exe file from Canon and extract it on my SD card so I get the .fir file there.
Now when I try to update the firmware on my camera, it simply says:
Update file cannot be found. Please check the memory card and reload the battery and try again.

Your help would be very much appreciated. Thank you.
NF.

Walter Schulz

Format card in camera and copy extracted FIR file to card. Try to use a card < 32 GByte.
Report back

NiiteFall

So, I used a 8gb card to re-install the Canon firmware and it worked. After that, I used my 64gb card to install Magic Lantern and it seems to work.
Thank you very much!
NF.

jc+

QuoteCurrently using a 128GB Komputerbay 600x class 10 card (...)  speed can be an issue though when I crank up the bitrate.
littlebobbytables, wich biterate are you using ?

littlebobbytables

Quote from: jc+ on March 19, 2016, 04:37:19 PM
littlebobbytables, wich biterate are you using ?

Everything over the default settings sometimes stops recording after a while. The card warmup feature in ML does help though.
50D, 300, BMPCC4K

jc+

Hi,

i'am from France, and i can't understand what you mean by this sentence : "The card warmup feature in ML does help though.".

Could you explain please (Google Translator doesn't give a correct answer) ?

Walter Schulz

Some cards perform a little better after heating them up (= higher temperature). For those cards there is a menu item in Movie tab -> RAW video (MLV) -> Card warm-up
You can select different file sizes for warm-up operation. Bigger file size = higher temperature but delay (until camera is up and ready) will be higher, too. Warm-up will happen after camera powered on. So you have to start recording after warm-up or card will consequently get colder.

Benchmark (Debug tab -> Benchmarks -> Card R/W benchmark (5 min)
will tell you if your card is affected. Ever mentioned there are 2 benchmark runs for buffer size 16384k? If the second run shows higher numbers it means your card works better after warming up.

Difference is not that big, most of the time.