Canon 550D / T2i

Started by ItsMeLenny, August 27, 2014, 10:34:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Audionut

Updated installer.   :)

I've added some stuff to the bottom of your OP Lenny.

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: Audionut on June 21, 2015, 01:01:43 AM
Updated installer.   :)

I've added some stuff to the bottom of your OP Lenny.

No problems.

rachitbhatnagar

Hello,
I'm using Canon 550D for last 2 years. Currently my camera firmaware version is 1.0.9, I tried to load Magic lantern on my camera but unable to do that. This is the procedure I'm following-
1- Downloaded magiclantern-Nightly.2015Jun24.550D109.zip file from magiclantern nightly build page on my PC & unzipped all files in a folder.
2- Formatted the 8GB SD card on PC then put in the camera & again did a low level formatting from 550D. Also cleared all setting to default in camera.
3- Now inserted the SD card in my laptop card reader & copied these contents- 550D-109.fir, autoexec.bin & ML folder to the root directrory of SD card.
4- Fully charge Camera battery
5- Removed SD card from laptop & inserted in camera card slot.
6- Switched ON camera, moved dial to manual mode (M), clicked on Menu, went to settings & Firmware Ver. 1.0.9. clicked set button to update version from SD card.

Now camera goes blank & RED LED is blinking every one second for extended period of time. There is no response from camera so finally I removed the battery & formatted the SD card again.

550D is working on company firmware 1.0.9 normally now but I'm wondering where I did mistake or skipped any step that I am unable to load Magic Lantern on camera.

rachitbhatnagar

Quote from: rachitbhatnagar on June 24, 2015, 03:18:45 PM
Hello,
I'm using Canon 550D for last 2 years. Currently my camera firmaware version is 1.0.9, I tried to load Magic lantern on my camera but unable to do that. This is the procedure I'm following-
1- Downloaded magiclantern-Nightly.2015Jun24.550D109.zip file from magiclantern nightly build page on my PC & unzipped all files in a folder.
2- Formatted the 8GB SD card on PC then put in the camera & again did a low level formatting from 550D. Also cleared all setting to default in camera.
3- Now inserted the SD card in my laptop card reader & copied these contents- 550D-109.fir, autoexec.bin & ML folder to the root directrory of SD card.
4- Fully charge Camera battery
5- Removed SD card from laptop & inserted in camera card slot.
6- Switched ON camera, moved dial to manual mode (M), clicked on Menu, went to settings & Firmware Ver. 1.0.9. clicked set button to update version from SD card.

Now camera goes blank & RED LED is blinking every one second for extended period of time. There is no response from camera so finally I removed the battery & formatted the SD card again.

550D is working on company firmware 1.0.9 normally now but I'm wondering where I did mistake or skipped any step that I am unable to load Magic Lantern on camera.
I tried another time with ML-SETUP.fir, but got this error on camera.

I tried to reload canon firmware version 1.0.9 but its shows file extension as e8kr7109.exe rather than FIR so unable to reinstall 1.0.9

Walter Schulz

Any de-zipper should be able to extract FIR from this EXE. It's a so called self-extracting archive (at least on Windows). Windows will extract the file by executing it.

rachitbhatnagar

Thanks a lot for your help. I could able to run Magic lantern on my 550D with the suggestion you gave.
Regards
Rachit

jc+

Hello,
I installed yesterday the last Magic Lantern firmware on my Canon EOS 550D, and everything seems to work properly.

However, I want to ask you the following question: I have a 16 GB SD HC card, and it seems that I can save 15 min.

To increase the recording time, what type of SD card you advise me? Are there some which do not work with a Canon EOS 550D and Magic Lantern?

Thank you for your help.

Walter Schulz

Eye-Fi won't work at all.
Interface is UHS-I. UHS-II will only give you faster transfer speeds to PC using a cardreader supporting UHS-II.
And maximum write speed in cam is about 21 MByte/s.

AFAIK there is no other limitation.

Recording H.264 will give you just below 30 minutes uninterrupted recording time and about half a second gap during transistion.
RAW/MLV has no such limit. Seamless recording > 30 minutes is implemented in latest nightlies.

jc+

Thank you. So i could use à 64 or 128 GB SD card ?

Walter Schulz

@ItsmeLenny: Mind cleaning up first page? ;-)
-The First Install (first-time installation - for a camera that has never had ML on it)

This process should only be performed once (for each camera, if you have used ML before on the camera you are using then jump below to "The Second Install".).

coming tomorrow when I wake up

jc+

Hello,
I did some tests today, and my recording stops at 15 minutes and then i could restart it manually.
Is there a setting to change to extend recording?
Thank you.

Walter Schulz

H.264?
550D will stop if file is 4 GB big. Go to movie tab -> Movie tweaks -> Movie Restart ON
You will loose some frames during restart.

jc+

jc+

Hello,
Can you tell me what is the percentage of the signal in the live view (it is in the center below the small square) ?
thank you

Walter Schulz

Top of page -> User Guide -> User Guide

jc+

jc+

Do you think it would be possible to use this cable for audio monitoring with a 550D ?

here

Walter Schulz

Don't know if this one is compatible. What's wrong with your own A/V cable?

jc+

For audio monitoring with earphone, i need an USB/jack, but not an USB/RCA, isn't it ?

[Edit] I find the answer in the user guide.

Datadogie

I found best way was. Take the Canon USB to A/V cable and headphone extension cable,  cut both in half then splice the appropriate ends together.  Also you need to buy a headphone amp. I use a little Filo amp. ( you can also use this for the microphone)  to boost the audio.
T3i and Kiss X4 (550d (T2i)) Tamron 18-200mm, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 (need firmware upgrade) Olympus 50mm f1.8  Olympus 28mm f2.8 and Olympus 24mm f2.8
Fancier 370 tripod and LCD hinged loupe. DIY Slider and crane.

jc+

Hello,

I'm trying to install "Pictures styles", but the "Register User Defined Style" is grey (locked) in Canon Eos Utilites (V 2.8.1), and i can't select it. I only can install in "M" mode, but not in "Camera" mode.

Do you know why ?

Regards.

Kaval

Hello,

I just launched ML on my 550d camera and joined this forum.

One question: Is autofocus video possible? If yes (even not perfect), how to go about it? What settings are required?

Thanks in advance