Canon 550D / T2i

Started by ItsMeLenny, August 27, 2014, 10:34:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maiochisono

Hi, in my 550d failed to install version 2.3. Only works an old version of magic lanter dating back to July 2008 (magiclantern-2011Jul08.550D.fw109.alex), but is a bit limited compared to the latest versions, does not have the HDR video. If I try to install on sd card the new stable or even an older version as: magiclantern-2011Oct21.550D.60D.600D.50D.zip, the camera shows update firmware but then shows a black screen and the red LED that flashes, that forces me to remove the battery to reset. Led is blinking as if I had to update the firmware canon, but it is already factory 1.0.9.
Can anyone give me some advice? Thanks in advance

Walter Schulz

Blinking LED indicates firmware mismatch. ML detects checksum and the existence of subversions slightly different but running under the same version number is quite common. Go to http://pel.hu/eoscard and download firmware 1.0.9 and run firmware installation from a clean card (formatted in cam).

Steve Call

Hi Guys, bit of a novice with the 550D, so please bear with me, I noticed that the fps could be changed to 60fps, dose this mean the 55D can shoot in slow motion when played back at 25fps normal speed. Ive tried and it doesn't seem to work, is it because im shooting in 1920x1080, am I changing the settings wrong or its it simply because it is not meant to do this. Im using a 32gb SDHC class 10 card and editing in fcp7. Everything else is great from what I can work out so far, DSLRS are qiute new to me and only just got used to the Canon firmware, so please forgive me if I seem a bit dense.
Thanks guys appreciate these forums.
Steve.

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: Steve Call on March 21, 2015, 12:58:15 AM
Hi Guys, bit of a novice with the 550D, so please bear with me, I noticed that the fps could be changed to 60fps, dose this mean the 55D can shoot in slow motion when played back at 25fps normal speed. Ive tried and it doesn't seem to work, is it because im shooting in 1920x1080, am I changing the settings wrong or its it simply because it is not meant to do this. Im using a 32gb SDHC class 10 card and editing in fcp7. Everything else is great from what I can work out so far, DSLRS are qiute new to me and only just got used to the Canon firmware, so please forgive me if I seem a bit dense.
Thanks guys appreciate these forums.
Steve.

Yes it is because you are shooting at 1920x1080. The camera has both PAL and NTSC modes (I'm assuming your PAL because you're changing it to 25fps).

PALNTSC
1920x108025 fps29.97 fps
1920x1080 24p23.976 fps23.976 fps
1280x72050 fps59.94 fps
640x48050 fps59.94 fps

So you can only get "60 fps" in 1280x720 or 640x480.
The numbers aren't completely round because of NTSC television, NTSC to match the frequency divides the number by 1.001.
This would result for 24 to equal 23.976023976.
What canon actually does is times the number by 0.999 which rounds it to 23.976.

So you can do "slow mo" going from NTSC 1280x720 and changing it to 25fps or 24fps in post, but it may not be as slow as you think.

ShootMeAlready

Anybody played around with Af+facial AF lock?  I point my camera at the TV when a show is on and I am surprised at how fast it locks onto to new faces as the shot changes.
I also have a 70D, and what it does is not only lock onto the face but also adjusts focus when in servo mode.

So it occurs to me that the 550D/600D could have a psuedo servo mode added if they only Af every so many seconds (lets say every 1/10th of a second), then it would behave
more like my 70D.  So I would like to ask the question, is there any way to get the 550D/600D to have a psuedo servo mode? One where you can adjust the AF rate to as  fast as it can go?
This psuedo servo mode should just be a call to AF, just like pressing the AF button.

Before I ask to add this to code, I guess the first question to ask is can anyone do this presently?

And  for those who say why bother with this?  This is a rather cool video feature, because it would allow you to point and let AF facial recognition jump to each moving prominent face as it records video.

Cheers.
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

ItsMeLenny

You may want to ask that question in feature request section of the forum.
If it's a feature from one camera, it can't be ported to another.
So if it is possible it has to be coded from scratch.

I'm not sure what the features of the 70D are, but if they are like the 650D,
(with an autofocus in video mode) they work using a special sensor,
so there's no way to code that as it's a hardware thing.

There has been attempts in the past to make an autofocus in video mode,
it didn't work too well.

chrisrepps

re --The First Install (first-time installation - for a camera that has never had ML on it)

This process should only be performed once
(for each camera, if you have used ML before on the camera you are using then jump below to "The Second Install".).

I'm a newbie, can't find an answer to this:
I have just got a second-hand 550D and don't know it's history, it is in good nick and works well. Before I start installing ML,  how do I check the status of the camera bootflag, so I can decide to first or second install? Many thianks, great work!

Walter Schulz

http://pel.hu/eoscard
EOScard for Windows
or
MacBoot for OS X
and make card bootable. Insert card into cam and statup. If cam gets stuck or ML loads you have bootflag set.

chrisrepps

"If cam gets stuck" then remove card and battery? then second install nightly or 2.3?
"or ML loads" second install latest nightly?

Walter Schulz

Forget what I wrote and go with installation instructions, please.

a1ex

Looking for testers for the new installer:
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/pull-request/631/new-installers/diff

To try it, copy the FIR on the root of the card, along with the files from the nightly zip.

Also, does the installer load from 64 GB cards?

chrisrepps

Sorry still not clear. 
on a 550D with unknown history, before I start installing ML,  how do I check the status of the camera bootflag, so I can decide to first or second install?  as per the install instructions. I'm trying to avoid the camera "getting stuck" - is that the same as "bricking"?  Thanks.

Walter Schulz

"I'm trying to avoid the camera "getting stuck" - is that the same as "bricking"?"
No

You don't have to check cam's status. It really doesn't matter if you follow instructions.

dmilligan

Quote from: Walter Schulz on April 21, 2015, 02:52:06 PM
It really doesn't matter if you follow instructions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garden_path_sentence

It does matter that he follows instructions, it's probably better to say:
"If you follow instructions, it really doesn't matter."

Bottom line: It doesn't matter if you already have the bootflag or not. Just follow the first install instructions.

chrisrepps

Through a glass darkly! ok I'll try the first install of the stable 2.3.
So is the RED warning in the original post now redundant?

chrisrepps

I don't seem to be able to make SD card bootable. Eoscard says :
Suitable cards present: 1
scripts=false chdkboot=false chdk32boot=false dslrboot=true
Command 'diskutil unmountDisk disk1' = '!Error
Unmount of disk1 failed: at least one volume could not be unmounted'
   return code was 1
making DLSR-bootable - format=2
making FAT32 DSLR-bootable
Command 'printf "EOS_DEVELOP" | dd bs=1 count=11 seek=0x47 conv=notrunc of=/dev/disk1s1' = '!Error

dd: /dev/disk1s1: Resource busy'
   return code was 1
Command 'diskutil mountDisk disk1' = 'Volume(s) mounted successfully'
   return code was 0

When I put the card in the camera, it doesn't seem any different than usual. Pressing trash has no effect.???

chrisrepps

Macboot not eoscard
I have all the other files on the card - just 550D not the other cameras.

chrisrepps

If at first.........tried it a third time and this time it's worked, I have the green screen:)
Enough for today. Thanks.

PSimpso

I tried to install ML on a T2i that was still on firmware version 1.0.6 and while the battery grip was still on (I was in a rush). Obviously it didn't work; the camera still works just fine.

Now, I want to properly update the Canon firmware and then install ML.

Is there anything I should be aware of since I tried installing ML on old firmware? Would it have affected the boot flag? I don't want to hurt the camera.

[email protected]

Hi
On a slightly different topic.

I have been successfully using ML for some time now for still images though vid is a little thwort at the moment.

I have been asked to give a short talk on ML by my Camera club and would like to be able to project straight from the camera via a PC.

Does any one know how to do this or what programme I would need to acquire?
Thanks
Regards
Tim

gregory90

Hi,

I have some doubts and problems about 550D ML:

- In the installation guide for Canon 550D ML he says that if this is the first time you install ML, ML v2.3 should have the first version. And then download the updates in which only the ML folder is overwritten.
Now, as I know which version I have installed update, install An UPDATE that you install do not see any difference, and is always shown me version 2.3.
Someone clarify this to me, I also say that the 550D ML no resemblance to other Canon cameras is very incomplete ...

- When I turn on the camera always remains frozen me, I have to press any button on the camera to be "un-freeze" it worries me a little ...

- It happens also that by putting the timer on the camera itself when I go to take the shot and just hit the button that opens the shutter and after the second set makes a slight noise that is when taking a picture.
But ... that opens before you oburador ?? this is not happening to me when I had ML installed in the camera. It will be some configuration settings ?.

Regards.

Walter Schulz

Delete ML directory from card, delete Autoexec.bin and FIR. Copy extracted nightly build contents to card. Startup cam. Report.

Pirate_Korupt

Hello all.  I am not really new to photography but it has been a few decades.  Now I want to get into videography.  You know making Youtube videos so my family can follow my travels. 

It scares the bejesus out of me to make changes to my camera (I do not want to render it useless) but I understand ML is a great tool.   Some of the tech stuff yall say goes over my head.  But last night I fully charged the camera battery.  I am now formatting my SD card.  I actually have two 32G cards dedicated to my camera.  Should I format both and put ML on both?  Or just be prepared to move data alot?

I have printed off the first page of this post.

ItsMeLenny

I guess I still haven't really finished this post, I should do that, in the mean time you might want to print out this page also http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unified/Install

Walter Schulz

I cannot recommend the installation instructions you linked.
There is a detailed installation manual included in v2.3 "stable" instead.

To update your cards to Nightly Build after first install I recommend this (has some reduntant steps but works all the time)
- Use cardreader to format your card
- Use cam to format your card again
- Use EOScard/Macboot to make card bootable
- Wipe ML directory, all FIR files and autoexec.bin from card
- Copy extracted nightly build contents to card
- Insert card into cam and startup.