Adding Special FX to 5dm2 RAW Res-Pre-Res workflow

Started by EmperorXIX, August 25, 2014, 08:07:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EmperorXIX

Is this possible? It's much quicker to do the batch exporting/syncing in Resolve, but much harder to grade quickly (and hard to match with ACR if you do a Res-Pre-AE workflow) but I'm beginning to think that it's not possible if you want to use AE to add in lighting/compositing effects.

Also, whenever I import a Premiere Project, the timeline in AE is completely off the mark, so I'm not even sure I'm doing that properly :/

reddeercity

As I write this , I'm working on a Green Screen Music Video shot on 5D2 Raw @ 1872x936 24p
Working with Cdng's in A.E.  doing all the shot compositions . I think I have about 50, half green screen
and the other half major rotoscoping . Then I will export as prores4444 xq edit & grade in fcpx .
Since you are in a Adobe workflow , you  have 2 good options .
1) If you convert your raw to 12bit or 16bit Cdng you can edit native in Premiere Pro CC 2014
then dynamic link back to After Effects .
2) Use After Effects first do the Comp or per-grade save project
and import a.e. project in to Premiere Pro to edit .-->(note this way the time line response will be very slow)
In the adobe workflow there's no need to make prores files.

EmperorXIX

Unfortunately, I'm working in CS6, which doesn't have CDNG support. Although, that alone may be enough to get me to upgrade. I didn't even realize that as an option! Thank you! I've never done much AE work, so I'll likely need more help when it comes to dynamic linking and such soon down the line.

EmperorXIX

Quote from: reddeercity on August 25, 2014, 08:36:14 AM
As I write this , I'm working on a Green Screen Music Video shot on 5D2 Raw @ 1872x936 24p
Working with Cdng's in A.E.  doing all the shot compositions . I think I have about 50, half green screen
and the other half major rotoscoping . Then I will export as prores4444 xq edit & grade in fcpx .
Since you are in a Adobe workflow , you  have 2 good options .
1) If you convert your raw to 12bit or 16bit Cdng you can edit native in Premiere Pro CC 2014
then dynamic link back to After Effects .
2) Use After Effects first do the Comp or per-grade save project
and import a.e. project in to Premiere Pro to edit .-->(note this way the time line response will be very slow)
In the adobe workflow there's no need to make prores files.

When dynamic linking back to AE, AE reads all CDNG files as single files (as in just the first frame with audio) and not an actual image sequence. Seems like a problem people have been having for months with no solutions that I can find :/

EmperorXIX

Still no luck for me RE dynamic linking to AE. Also, going from ae to premiere hasn't worked for me either. Is there a video tutorial available anywhere that describes how you can link cdngs between premiere/ae? Maybe I'm missing something simple.

Africashot

Open your cdng sequence in PP, right click and select 'replace with after effects composition' should normally do it... both AE and PP need to be the same version, also for dynamic link to work on anything prior to CC you had to have Creative Suite as far as I recall.
But if I was to do this I'd import directly into After effects, do my magic and then export prores 4444 to edit in premiere and finally grade in resolve, working with linked comps in premiere is a nightmare no matter how powerful your system is...
ML 5D2 & T3i