More noise than usual? (recent build)

Started by WeekendWarrior, August 21, 2014, 06:55:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WeekendWarrior

I recently experimented with a few of the new builds and I've noticed some high noise levels even at low ISO's, and even after noise reduction which usually cleans it up super nice. I never noticed noise to be this extreme back on the February build that I was using previously, I'm wondering if anyone has experienced something similar. (Shooting on 5D Mark iii 1.1.3 build)

casuso

I think i have the same problem. I was wondering if it was just me or it was a real problem. Using a 50D. Im going back to February build.

Audionut

hkarlsen

I am also noticing noise in middle/gray areas of the frame at 800 ISO. Ive added two screengrabs from davinci, not the best for actual comparison, but its easy to spot the noise int the 1.2.3 aug 7. build (first picture). Second picture is an old 1.1.3 build.

Only thing I am doing differently, is that I have mirroring ON, using the monitor as a clean frame and having GD on the back of the camera. Turning it off during the next test.

Walter Schulz

Please share some files, not screenshots.

a1ex

And make sure you compare the same scene, lighting, same exposure settings and same postprocessing settings.

This example does not tell anything; you were comparing completely different scenes.

hkarlsen

Yes, I am aware that this is not a great comparison (as I stated). But I think its quite clear that the top shot suffers from colored noise. I greatly respect those that have the time to do studio tests and proper troubleshoots, this was an attempt to report a problem I know is there. Theres more noise in this build/firmware (Aug 7, 1.2.3, 5dmrk3). I did a second test with GD off, raw_rec instead of mlv_rec and no monitor. Same noisepattern showing.

Thanks for all the great work the developers do around here!

Audionut

Quote from: hkarlsen on September 01, 2014, 10:17:03 PM
But I think its quite clear that the top shot suffers from colored noise.

Which is pointless, because there are a ton of factors that can attribute to the noise, that have nothing at all to do with ML.

Dylan418

Hello hkarlsen. Have you found an answer to this question? Having the same problem. Thanks!

budafilms

@Dylan
Please, make with both builds a comparison: same shot, light and settings without post processiing. That could help a lot if exist a problem in the build.