Upscaling Technique

Started by bnvm, September 05, 2013, 11:34:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Audionut

Quote from: zuzukasuma on September 11, 2013, 04:58:32 PM
I just did, and the conclusion is all advertisements are fake. clearly they're resizing the post smaller size at 240dpi or so then resizing it up to 60dpi with greater resolution. nice trick though.

DPI only affects print detail.  It has no affect on video.  Video displays have a fixed number of DPI that is tied directly to resolution.

zuzukasuma

Quote from: Audionut on September 11, 2013, 05:04:01 PM
DPI only affects print detail.  It has no affect on video.  Video displays have a fixed number of DPI that is tied directly to resolution.

tell me something I don't know. they are marketing guru's.
in a complicated relationship with eos m.

DFM

It's part of the October update. Full details are available here.

Quote from: zuzukasuma on September 11, 2013, 04:58:32 PM
I just did, CC hasn't got that module yet.

bnvm

I just tried adobe's new scaling method. It is not out for AE yet but it exists in PS so I did it there again both are scaled 200%. I tried to get the best result possible but generally speaking it over sharpens the image considerably.

As things stand now, Nuke is the winner in my opinion.

_no_id

Quote from: PressureFM on September 09, 2013, 05:28:41 PM
As great as that is, Nuke is £2,500 without VAT  :-\
actually it happens to be a poor man's version of TVIScale Nuke node. Points 1-4 and 6-8 can be done in any software that can work with Lab color, and the substitute for Nuke lambda scaling is plugin for AviSynth called nnedi3_rpow2. Nnedi3 is originally a deinterlace plugin, and rpow2 is its version for enlarging images by powers of 2. Speaking of Magic lantern RAW, captured frames (if you are not using x5 zoom) are not downscaled from full sensor, but recieved by lineskipping, which causes aliasing artifacts, and after upscaling they often get worse, but not with nnedi, besause of its deinterlacing nature it actually fixes lineskipping artifacts. Here are some examples, look closely at sharp high contrast edges of cars and snow. And the most interesting thing is its actually a couple of times faster than nuke's tviscale node and you need only avisynth to use it.