Having trouble working with dual ISO files

Started by itsDPmikey, August 12, 2014, 11:41:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

itsDPmikey

how in the world are you guys getting CR2's? I set my ML dual iso ON, AND hdr ON, and hit record. got the same MLV file.. what am I missing here man...
I love this &^*$ MAN!

Satis

Quote from: itsDPmikey on August 12, 2014, 11:41:15 AM
how in the world are you guys getting CR2's? I set my ML dual iso ON, AND hdr ON, and hit record. got the same MLV file.. what am I missing here man...
How is RAW video connected with CR2's..?
CR2 is the camera's native raw file extension and you can get a dual iso'd CR2 with, well turning on dualISO and taking a photograph.
50D IR, 600D, 550D

itsDPmikey

no not how they are connected, how do I get CR2 files. I just haven't found a good workflow tutorial on how to get Dual ISO. I got dual iso on(with my preferred A and B ISO's selected) then I shoot the video ( in a slightly dim room) I then get the card in the computer and open up MLV_VIEWER and get the file off the card as DNG. So where Do I go from here? I have a folder with the following inside : CR2hdr, bARRACUDAgui, dcraw, exiftool, raw2dng.
I love this &^*$ MAN!

Satis

Quote from: itsDPmikey on August 13, 2014, 09:07:13 AM
no not how they are connected, how do I get CR2 files. I just haven't found a good workflow tutorial on how to get Dual ISO. I got dual iso on(with my preferred A and B ISO's selected) then I shoot the video ( in a slightly dim room) I then get the card in the computer and open up MLV_VIEWER and get the file off the card as DNG. So where Do I go from here? I have a folder with the following inside : CR2hdr, bARRACUDAgui, dcraw, exiftool, raw2dng.
Go grab BarracudaGUI, a pretty neat GUI for handling dual iso files. It will ask for a link for cr2hdr (which can convert your dng files), and so on, then click convert and there you go, really user friendly.
50D IR, 600D, 550D

itsDPmikey

Quote from: Satis on August 13, 2014, 12:41:31 PM
Go grab BarracudaGUI, a pretty neat GUI for handling dual iso files. It will ask for a link for cr2hdr (which can convert your dng files), and so on, then click convert and there you go, really user friendly.

BarracudaGUI isnt converting my dng's to CR2's. When I open up BarracudaGUI, it says import CR2 files.. NOT DNG'S. Problem is I don't have any cr2's out of the camera just DNG'S. I feel like you aren't understanding my scenario but thanks for trying to help anyway.
I love this &^*$ MAN!

ayshih

Part of the confusion is due to your original question.  You asked how to get CR2 files, and the short answer is that you don't.  What you can do, with appropriate processing tools, is to convert dual-ISO files to normal-looking DNG files.

It sounds like BarracudaGUI may be designed only for handling dual-ISO photos (which would saved by the camera as a CR2 file), rather than also frames from dual-ISO movies (which would be converted by MLV tools to DNG files).  Try cr2hdr.
Canon EOS 50D | 17–40mm f/4L & 70–300mm f/4.5–5.6 DO IS | Lexar 1066x

itsDPmikey

let me try to explain this again a lil better this time.

1) I turn dual iso/HDR on
2) I shoot the video
3) I get it in to the computer from the card using  (MLV_VIEWER) as DNG
4) I get the DNG into the same folder as the cr2hdr (also folder dcraw,exiftool, and barracudaGUI)
5) When I open up barracuda and click dialog box to open the files, it doesn't appear because it says only cr2 files. so... I cant get dng's in barracuda because it only takes cr2 files.

I don't know how much more clearer I can make this.
I love this &^*$ MAN!

ayshih

Yes, I understood that all.  Don't use BarracudaGUI.  Try calling cr2hdr directly.

Walter Schulz

You may add some information about the tool you used for conversion.

itsDPmikey

Quote from: ayshih on August 14, 2014, 05:36:48 AM
Yes, I understood that all.  Don't use BarracudaGUI.  Try calling cr2hdr directly.

well a few days ago I skipped BarracudaGUI and went to CR2hdr directly just dropped the file on the cr2hdr like everyone else and a black command script box came up and after 2-3 seconds it disappeared and nothing happened, nothing else was created.. I tried it again today.. and nothing.
I love this &^*$ MAN!

Walter Schulz

You want try to use the commandline option. This will give you some output.

itsDPmikey

Quote from: Walter Schulz on August 14, 2014, 09:13:52 AM
You want try to use the commandline option. This will give you some output.

need a lil help understanding that a bit more
I love this &^*$ MAN!

Audionut

Use google.  Learn how to use a command line.  Use the command line to process your files with cr2hdr.  Then you will be able to see the error messages being generated.  Then we can understand why things aren't working.

Walter Schulz

Copy CR2 file into the directory where CR2HDR.EXE is located. Mark the folder. Press SHIFT key and right mouse button. Select option "Open Command Window here ..." from context menu.

You will get a new window with black background and white letters and a blinking cursor.
Looks something like
E:\workdir\Das Kabinett des Dr. Caligari>_

Now type
CR2HDR Nameofyourfile.CR2
and press ENTER and some messages will be written to screen. You can copy the contents to clipboard by opening the context menu, selecting "Mark", marking it with the mouse while left mouse is pressed and pressing "ENTER".

Satis

Quote from: ayshih on August 14, 2014, 02:35:41 AM
It sounds like BarracudaGUI may be designed only for handling dual-ISO photos (which would saved by the camera as a CR2 file), rather than also frames from dual-ISO movies (which would be converted by MLV tools to DNG files).  Try cr2hdr.

Nope, BarracudaGUI converts CR2 files like a charm, the only problem is that he hasn't even tried importing the cr2 files into it.

For DPmikey: instead of importing files through the interface just drag and drop files into BarracudaGUI from the folder the CR2 files are located. If this still doesn't work you got to get a newer version of it, because it works on my system.
50D IR, 600D, 550D

itsDPmikey

Quote from: Satis on August 14, 2014, 02:12:44 PM
Nope, BarracudaGUI converts CR2 files like a charm, the only problem is that he hasn't even tried importing the cr2 files into it.

For DPmikey: instead of importing files through the interface just drag and drop files into BarracudaGUI from the folder the CR2 files are located. If this still doesn't work you got to get a newer version of it, because it works on my system.

So I shot the video got DNG in my folder and highlighted all of the dng's(frames) and dragged and dropped it in the BarracudaGUI, I hit process and a dialog box popped up FOR EACH FRAME(a thousand dialog boxes) and the dialog box would ask me to locate the exiftool and I would and It would ask that for all the frames. This is just stupid ridiculous. How is this, THIS complicated? can anyone just make a short 5 min video tutorial or something?
I love this &^*$ MAN!

Walter Schulz

I'm pretty sure you missed to read and follow the requirements. At least you missed to follow requirement step 3:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9102.msg85862#msg85862

itsDPmikey

Quote from: Walter Schulz on August 15, 2014, 02:37:38 AM
I'm pretty sure you missed to read and follow the requirements. At least you missed to follow requirement step 3:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9102.msg85862#msg85862

Step 3) Start BarracudaGUI, choose the path of postprocessing program (e.g. cr2hdr.exe), exiftool.exe and select the folder for dng output.

I did do that actually. One thing I didn't do is move the 2 dll's into the folder.

But we'll see if the dll' move will make a difference.

BTW.. the lightroom plugin, I got that installed so if I have the lightroom plugin does that mean I don't need to go through all this barracuda BS?
I love this &^*$ MAN!

ayshih

I presume, perhaps incorrectly, that there is some way in BarracudaGUI to save the location of exiftool.exe as a preference so that it doesn't prompt you on every frame.  If you have saved the location as a preference, and it's still prompting you, then that sounds like a bug you should report to the author.

Since you have Lightroom, definitely see if the Lightroom plugin works for you.

rpt

Quote from: itsDPmikey on August 16, 2014, 12:05:26 AM
BTW.. the lightroom plugin, I got that installed so if I have the lightroom plugin does that mean I don't need to go through all this barracuda BS?
No you don't.

itsDPmikey

Quote from: rpt on August 16, 2014, 03:39:07 AM
No you don't.

OH SWEET SANTA CLAUSE! i'm so glad to hear that.
So whats the process for lightroom path just

1) get dng's in lightroom
2) export it out using the plugin?

I will have double the files so i delete the old dng's and keep the new exported dual iso ones from lightroom right and thats it?
I love this &^*$ MAN!

rpt

Quote from: itsDPmikey on August 17, 2014, 08:28:22 AM

OH SWEET SANTA CLAUSE! i'm so glad to hear that.
So whats the process for lightroom path just

1) get dng's in lightroom
2) export it out using the plugin?

I will have double the files so i delete the old dng's and keep the new exported dual iso ones from lightroom right and thats it?
Old dngs? You mean the ones you already converted? Or do you mean the dual ISO raw files?

The plugin converts raw to dng and you can edit the dng in lightroom.

ayshih

Let's not start this confusion again.  itsDPmikey is converting from DNGs to DNGs, because the dual ISO video frames are extracted in DNG format, before they are even processed.  itsDPmikey, please just try the Lightroom plugin before asking more questions.

garbleflux

First: thank you guys for the great development of Dual Iso.

But I've one problem.
Useing my 5DMIII (123) with 100/1600 or 200/1600 Dual Iso,
in post Barracuda only says there are files with 100/800 or 200/800 ISO.

My Settings:
Expo: ISO = 100
Dual ISO 100/1600 (Recovery ISO 1600 > Dynamic range gained 2.9 EV, Midtone overlapping 7.0 EV)
all other = off

Modules:
dual_iso = ok
ettr= ok
Auto ETTR = Always on

Where I'm wrong??

Greetings Michael

Audionut