Canon 60D + M.L Video Question

Started by MarkyD1987, August 17, 2014, 06:36:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkyD1987

Hi  guys.

I'm new to the forum and was looking for some advice. I bought a canon 60D last week and shot a couple videos. In post correction I noticed how much the codecs compression was really affecting the quality of the footage.

I'm really interested in upgrading the firmware to ML but have a couple questions. First question; Would I still be able to shoot video over 5 minuets at a time? Or is the length determined by the rez and quality settings? Second question; is there a time-laps feature? Thirdly; is it stable?

Thanks in advance!

Walter Schulz

"Stable" is a matter of definition.
No, there is no "stable" release. You have to use a so called nightly build.
Yes, the nightlies can be considered to be usable. But read the disclaimers.

60D has very limited bandwidth and therefore limited resolution when intended to be used for continuous recording in 24 fps (or higher). See http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6215.0 for more details.
Timelapse is supported.

MarkyD1987

Thanks for the reply, I found that chart very useful. So is the RAW recording only available on the Nightly version or is it also present in the 2.3 Stable version? One question I do have is can you still switch to .MOV and do  you have any more control over the compression using ML?

Walter Schulz

RAW/MLV is included in nightly builds only. There was some effort to implement All-I with H.264 but this was before RAW/MLV was introduced. AFAIK no one is working on it right now. H.264 ompression/noise reduction is done in hardware and ML has no way - as time of writing - to change this.