filming in cropped mode hows does it increase res to 2.5k?

Started by squidman90, August 17, 2014, 12:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squidman90

hey there

just wondering how does using cropped mode on 7D (zoom) increase RAW video res to 2.5k?

aren't you taking away pixels by cropping? it prob a simple answer but I can't find a answer on google.

thanks matt

Africashot

The crop mode is cropping the full sensor resolution and not the 1080p image which is achieved through line skipping, I hope this explains.
ML 5D2 & T3i

squidman90

Quote from: Africashot on August 17, 2014, 06:09:41 PM
The crop mode is cropping the full sensor resolution and not the 1080p image which is achieved through line skipping, I hope this explains.

ok makes sense, then how can't you just start with a 2.5k resolution (from my full sensor res) in my RAW video settings?, why do i have to have like choose my max capable res of 1728x972 and then crop it to increase it 2.5k res. thats whats confusing me lol

NedB

@squidman90: ML captures and records the data from the path that also sends the picture to LiveView. So in "normal" mode, the highest resolution you can get is the native resolution of your LiveView display, which varies from camera to camera. In your camera, that is 1728x972, and that is achieved by processing the entire sensor area via line-skipping (in all cameras except the 5dIII) or pixel-binning (for the 5dIIII, a much higher-quality process). BUT, when you hit the 5x zoom button, your LiveView display is showing a zoomed-in version of what you saw before, and it is doing that by simply cropping out a rectangle from the entire sensor area with no line-skipping or pixel-binning. It is simply a 1-1 view of a part of your sensor. Since it is not reducing the rectangle to fit into your LiveView display, it can be either smaller or bigger than your native display resolution. Just how much bigger varies by camera. That's why you have to be in so-called "crop mode" to get a bigger resolution than 1728x972. If you want to get around this, buy a 5dIII (at least for now, who knows what the ML wizards will come up with in the future!). Cheers.
550D - Kit Lens | EF 50mm f/1.8 | Zacuto Z-Finder Pro 2.5x | SanDisk ExtremePro 95mb/s | Tascam DR-100MkII